“Thanks for a good night's sleep”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #58 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Ontario
“Thanks for a good night's sleep”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The Eaton Chelsea is a good place to relax and feel at home.

Don't travel alone, but this is an exception. I feel safe at the Eaton Chelsea, one of Toronto's best and most established hotels. I would like to thank the Eaton Chelsea for a good nights sleep and restful stay at their most agreeable hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chatham, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Called the day of my trip to cancel as was trying to find a less expensive room. I was told my card had already been charged and that when rooms as booked on-line you cannot cancel unless it is greater than 72 hours in advance of the day of stay. I asked for this in writing and was given a print out from their website but it did take the manager and clerk 15 minutes to produce this for me!.

Besides this unbelievable policy - the check in & out process was very slow, the hotel room was small with 2 double beds, the bathtub was chipped and the bathroom was grubby.
Definitely not a $250 room!!!

I will never book this hotel again.

Room Tip: Never stay in this hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank scotgrl3
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Scotgrl3,

Thank you for your feedback. We apologize for the issue you experienced when trying to cancel your pre-paid reservation. Our online booking system offers multiple rates and discounts. Many of the lower rates we provide are discounted because they are pre-paid and non-refundable. Always be sure you read the rate description in full prior to booking. I have shared your feedback with our management team for review.

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Check-In: Sun, May 19, 2013 / After 03:00 PM
Check-Out: Tue, May 21, 2013 / 11:00 AM
Rooms: 1 room / 2 nights Rate. $68 USD

My Experience.

I've Stayed in this hotel 3x, because priceline landed me their. its not a bad hotel but if you base visiting there on the appearance of the hotel from the outside, then you will be disappointed. its very dated for the most part. but its not bad.

The first time i stay there, i was scratched by a poking spring from the matress, , i am not a big complainer i know most people would be trying to get something for free because of it. But not me.

However, when i asked for a late checkout they told me NO!!!, they dont have a late check out i begged and they still said no. so thats when i mentioned their matress scratching up my pretty legs, they told me its not possible their matresses are new, well i knew that was all LIES. thats when i told to send maintenance up here to check and i will show her my scarred leg, thats when she told me i can stay as long as i like. MESSY.....

Another time i stayed, i arrived early and they wouldnt let me check in. they clearly had rooms avail, that hotel is huge, and i seen them checking a lot of people in. but they made me wait until 3pm because thats their check in. MESSY......

THE GOOD,
the gym is great really good, lobby is nice , bar is cool

THE OK
most rooms, i havent seen them all, i may have been placed in a Priceline room,

THE BAD,
Service,

Room Tip: if you are booking from a 3rd party such as priceline, bookings, etc,. dont expect a good room. yo...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank The_Review_Critic
Dear The_Review_Critic,

Thank you for providing a details review of your most recent stay at the hotel. I apologize for the issues you experienced with the mattress and for any inconvenience this caused you. If you require late check-out during your stays, I suggest signing up for our 1865 membership as late check-out is a benefit you can enjoy. Since your stay we have completed extensive renovations in our lobby and have recently re-named and re-opened our lobby bar, T|Bar. Guest can enjoy our famous homemade Caesars or the famous curry buffet. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Toronto
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I ended back at Eaton again for a friend's birthday. They booked this hotel after seeing a cheap deal online. Stayed 1 night in the blue towers. Entrance of the hotel is still under construction and while the room I was in (2 double beds) had enough room for 4 people to comfortably move around…the decor was definitely worse then I remembered. We had a balcony..that we couldnt use. Doors were locked but I could see through the windows that there was no railing. Bathroom was old and stark. Floor tiling was white with a crack or two, while the tub had very visible rust stains which made any thought of showering unappealing.

If you have already booked this hotel, please inquire if you are in a room undergoing renos/yet to be updated. I can only say this is more of a place to just sleep at night, which is why my friend who booked it didnt mind so much. Just needed a place to crash. Its not too bad if you can get a really cheap deal (under $130/a night) and need to be centrally located downtown.

Room Tip: avoid rooms that don't have usable balcony/haven't been updated. rooms in the blue towers st...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Pretty Travels,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable. We apologize that your balcony was not accessible and hope it was not an inconvenience to you. We are eager for the completion of the project and for our guest to enjoy balconies on almost all of our guest rooms when the summer weather hits. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Location is convenient in Downtown Toronto. Lots of restaurants around to choose from.

Rooms are being renovated, I was in a non-renovated room but it was still ok.

Free wireless internet was fast and reliable. TV reception was poor for some reason.

For such a big hotel, they did not have many front desk people for checking in. To make up for it there were free drink samples handed out to us in line :)

Room Tip: As usual try not to get near the elevator. Mine was beside a utility room that was then beside the e...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gord J
Dear GordJ,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that your overall experience was enjoyable. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while on business. I had booked through expedia, and had wrongly booked March 26th instead of February 26th. The front desk was very helpful in changing my reservation even though the hotel was very busy. Talking of which, this is a very busy hotel. There is a constant line up at the front desk, which is something you should bear in mind when looking to check out.

The hotel has recently be rebranded, it used to be the Delta Chelsea, and has had some renovation work to the common areas and some of the rooms. I had originally booked one of the renovated rooms, but because of my booking error had to settle for one of the older rooms, which to be fair was fine.

The hotel is pretty well located, and easy to get around the downtown area. The Marketplace is good for casual breakfasts, and the fitness room was never that busy.

The main bar is something called the monarch pub which is very uni biting and in my view in need of a make over.

If you are happy staying at a very large, VERY busy hotel in the downtown area then you can get some great deals (I ended up paying $126 for a Queen). If you want somewhere cosier and quiet, then this place isn't for you.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mark H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback from your stay. We are pleased that the front desk was able to accommodate the change in date and you were able to stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Along with our recent lobby renovations we recently re-named and renovated our alternative lobby bar, T|Bar. In T|Bar guests can enjoy or famous homemade Caesars or our famous curry buffet. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.