“Better Than Expected!”

Ranked #60 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Copper Cliff, Canada
“Better Than Expected!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

I received a good rate from Priceline for this hotel but was wary because of recent reviews. I was relieved that I had a positive stay. The room was small but clean. The location cannot be beat with the Eaton Centre and the subway in easy walking distance. It was a VERY busy hotel but the staff were polite. If I were able to get a room for less than $100 again, I would have no problem staying at the Eaton Chelsea.

Room Tip: Our room faced Gerrard Street and was quiet. We loved the balcony!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We made a last-minute overnight to Toronto during travels in Canada and stayed at the Eaton Chelsea. This hotel would not normally be one we would choose, but we had not booked in advance and between a festival in town and a holiday weekend, there were virtually no rooms to be had, so we took a chance.

The hotel looks a bit like a gigantic, crumbling Soviet apartment bloc. It has something like 1500 rooms and it seemed half of them were checking in just as we were, so the line for check-in was quite long. The hotel seemed a bit under-staffed to deal with the deluge of people. But the gentleman who helped us at check in was friendly and helpful and eventually we got our room. It was a reasonable size (we booked a Deluxe Room) with an adequate bathroom. While the linens (bed and bath) did seem fresh and clean, the room itself was dingy and several areas were in need of repair (chipped walls). The chairs in particular were tired and worn. The bed was comfortable. We did not hear much hallway noise in our room.

It was hard to judge the neighborhood as it was overrun with festival-goers and we probably didn't have a typical experience. The major street adjacent to the hotel had cheap clothing stores and sex shops, which was not exactly the atmosphere we hoped for, but side streets seemed nicer and we did walk to a fabulous restaurant--The Chase--less than a mile away and it appeared that there were many good restaurants within walking distance.

We paid over $400 with taxes for this room and I would have expected better--though all the hotels in town had surely jacked up their prices given the demand for rooms. It appears we were paying about twice the usual rate, and $200/night would have seemed more reasonable for these accommodations in a city center.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TripsPlease
Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I am thoroughly disgusted with the "Eaton Chelsea" hotel. Again, they've billed my credit card for staying two nights when I had cancelled my reservation 5 days in advance. I've been reading the reviews and am disgusted that the hotel that was once my "home away from home" has turned into a total dive since losing the Delta name and acquiring the "Eaton" name.

Sure the hotel for years has always been 3-4 stars, but the location is perfect and that's why so many people from all over the world wanna stay here. The musty smells, the unfinished rooms, the severely pathetic room cleanings, and now another fraudulent billing on my credit card for staying when I cancelled.

I have friends who come here for business and pleasure but even they're pulling out their fealty with the hotel and booking somewhere else.

Goodbye Eaton Chelsea. The only way I'd come back is for a free night as your reservations department brutally destroyed your reputation. I want my money back as I didn't stay …

Room Tip: Choose the higher rooms available, away from elevators (corner suites are better).
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SM7609

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Clifton, ME
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

This place is a rip-off. We paid $200+/night for a room SMALLER than the Quality Inn's cheapest room. We had 3 people, but only enough stuff in the room for 2. We showed up at 1:30pm, knowing we were early (check-in is at 3pm). While we waited, we dropped $100 in the restaurant for 2 steaks, some cashew chicken, and a couple of beers. At 3pm our room wasn't ready. It wasn't ready at 4pm. It was closer to 5pm by the time we got to the room. At check-in, we were told they would keep our bags safe until our room was available. When I asked the bell-hop if they'd be delivered to the room, he looked at me like I was an alien and said "no you have to take them up yourself". Once the room was ready, another bellhop offered to bring our bags up. He got a tip.

We were told the reason the room wasn't ready was because they got a late start cleaning. They got a late start cleaning because there was a fesitval on and they wanted to let their guests 'sleep in' after a night of partying. Isn't that sweet. Meanwhile, the people who drove 11 hours to get here had to sit in the lobby and eat popcorn for 2 hours while their room was cleaned.

Walls are thin, TV image quality is terrible, operation is convoluted. Staff is helpful as long as they don't have to leave the counter (minus the one bellhop who actually provided customer service). Room is small, no fridge. Wifi is free but COMPLETELY unsecured. No authentication, no encryption. They use range to limit access, which results in spotty reception in the lobby. Our room has a wifi router in it, which is cool but I don't know if every room gets a router (bit expensive I would think if that is the case).

There is a metric ton of shopping around, and plenty of places to eat. There are also two strip clubs directly outside the hotel, if you're into that sort of thing. One club is male dancers, the other female dancers...so at least they don't discriminate(?)

For real, don't blow your money here. There are better places to stay I'm sure. At least I hope there is. If not...yikes.

PS: They DO have a robot. I wanted to ask it to clean our room, but it didn't look like its arms articulated at all. The front desk also wouldn't let us clean our own room (thats how badly we just wanted to shower and relax after driving that long through the INSANITY of Ontario and Quebec freeway traffic)

Room Tip: Want a tip for choosing a room? Choose one somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Suffolk, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is not a very good place to stay in Downtown Toronto, of all choices my Assistant put me in the worst hotel in the area, the rooms smelled, the toilets and sinks were clogged and the hotel was next to a construction site that started work at 6 am. I would highly recommend avoiding this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

This is a huge hotel. It's extremely busy all day and night. It's clean and there are lot's of staff around. What I didn't like and what freaked me out was that the lifts were always packed and there were queues to get on the lifts. I was concerned about being so high up and if a fire broke out that the hotel was so packed out you would never get out...perhaps smaller hotels suit me more. It was ok, if not a bit dingy in the rooms. The pool was child free so that was nice - there was another pool for families, so no screamers to be seen or heard:)

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

A lovely hotel based in the center of Toronto and within walking distance to the attractions we wanted to visit.
The restaurant was lovely with a good variety of salads and food cooked to order.
I would recommend the hotel for anyone visiting Toronto.
Near to the Eaton Centre where I was able to meet distant family members living in Toronto

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends