“Was adequate”

Ranked #59 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
South Bend, Indiana
“Was adequate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Not luxurious, definitely in the three-star category. Is clean and location is great as mentioned by many other reviewers.

Other reviewers also commented that the elevators are slow, and we found that to be true as well

Walls are thin. A wedding party stayed on our floor and had a raging happy time (for them, not us ) in the hallway and the room next door all night long. We could hear them like they were in our room.

Seemed a bit expensive for what you get but I guess real estate in Toronto is super high.

Stayed August 2014
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Bruno666,

Thank you for providing feedback from your stay. We are happy to learn of your overall enjoyable stay. We apologize that you were disturbed by other guest sharing the floor with you and certainly understand your frustrations. The hotel has security personnel on staff 24 hours a day to handle such situations. I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Barrie, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

About 10 years ago, I did a "secret shop" on this property under the Delta management. I spent 24 hours there, making contact with every department and spending $1100.00 for such things as room service, dining in every restaurant and drinks in every bar, at every conceivable time of opening. It scored about 90% at that time which is pretty good. This visit was a disappointment only because the hotel is so tired. The service was still very good. The food typical of hotel food which is mediocre in flavour and overpriced but the place was just very tired.
Carpets in the hall ways exhibited huge stains, baseboards were banged up in hallways and rooms .
The amenities in the room were those of a 1 star hotel. Bath towels were so small and thin that I had to order 4 more to my room just to make sure I could dry off. Phone calls (local) have an attached "service fee" which, in a hotel such as this I find ridiculous. There is no service involved in my making a phone call to the local pizzeria so why nail me for one?
Parking was outrageous. I had a buddy drop by to visit me for less than 2 hours and he had his pocket picked by the hotel in the amount of $44.00 . He could have saved a substantial amount of that by charging it to me but he did not feel comfortable doing that without having asked me beforehand. That is nothing more than a rip off in my estimate.
The only really positive thing I can say about this visit was that the hotel is and always has been very well located. Would I go again? Yes. But only because of the location at Yonge and Gerrard, basically.

Room Tip: Do not chose the "entry level" queen rooms as they are absolutely tiny and very uncomforta...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Davax
Dear Davax,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of your most recent stay at the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. Since the re-branding of the hotel we have begun and completed multiple renovations projects. We are in the process of planning our next phase of renovations and are very excited to share this with our guests. I apologize for the discrepancy with the parking when you had a friend visit you. The charge you are referring to is the amount of our valet parking, which is for a 24 hour period. I apologize that another option was not offered or displayed in that situation. We thank you once again for your feedback and hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

If you want peace and quiet, go somewhere else. We stayed at room 810 on 8/16 and the guests at 808 was out of control. They were playing loud redneck music and yelling. To top it all off, they kept banging the door. I'm glad we only stayed for one night and our sole purpose was to party in the bars of Toronto, not at the hotel. It was beyond me why these people would party inside the hotel not in a bar.

We stayed the previous night (8/15) at Strathcona and the crowd was 20-somethings from the Mad Decent Block Party at the Garrison. We were all well - behaved and respectful as we had to sign a waiver at Strathcona that if we made any noise after 11pm, they would evict guests. I think that was great. Eaton Chelsea do not have that policy and if you inform staff of the noisy neighbors, they do not take action. Unfortunately Eaton Chelsea attracts disrespectful guests equal to the star rating of this hotel. Will not go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear WaikikiTdot,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. I am sorry to learn that you were disturbed by other guests and certainly understand your disappointment. We have security staff on hand 24 hours a day and do handle noise complaints seriously. Our security personnel follow a strict policy which can lead to the eviction of guests. I apologize that this was not the case during your stay.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

The Eaton Chelsea is situated in deep deep downtown Toronto almost near Dundas square (Canada's Times Square - almost). The hotel (lobby) is spacious but extremely busy and crowded surprisingly even at midnight. it is clean and the staff are friendly. There are many eating options and the elevators have been partitioned by floor groups so that you don't have to wait too long. There are a few interesting characters outside on Younge Street and if you don't mind listening to people talk to themselves then it's not too bad. Because this is downtown there are constant sirens from emergency vehicles that you start to identify with in your room (if below the 10th floor) (oh that's a fire truck; that sounds like a ambulance to me).

That being said this hotel advertises discount rooms on many hotel websites. There are many a bedraggled traveler waiting patiently for their check in. Only issue is that when you arrive it appears the room is not quite as advertised. The beds are quite a bit smaller than they look in the pictures and you will be given a room that is a category just slightly below what you paid. I indicated on the reservation that our family of 4 was staying in this room and i was given a room (and towels) for 3. One of the beds was only wide enough for a normal person and a stick man. i suppose the bottom line is you almost get what you pay for. It seems that this hotel in it's reincarnation is really trying to earn its keep (which you can't fault it for) however also please don't be fooled into thinking a deluxe double room is really "deluxe" its just a "basic" room. Another example is that the bathroom fan cannot even keep up with the moisture generated by 3 showers so even though it is left on for half and hour the room feels "clammy" for the rest of the day.

Stay in the upper floors if you can and try to get a view of the city.

If value is your game then there are better options than this one.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank theoccasionalvisitor
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We booked with the Chelsea because of their claim to being family friendly. The corkscrew slide is the only family friendly thing about this place. We also have always considered the Chelsea to be a reputable hotel. We were wrong. We wanted to stay on the 27th floor which included breakfast and evening canapés and honour bar, "Sorry, you have kids, you can't stay there." we were told upon registering. Oh, I see…you don't want me to pay extra money to stay there? Strange. What kind of business ethic is that? Why isn't this on your website? Don't families want a little extra catering??? The other strange thing was we saw a baby and her mother enter this 'private' floor. How could this be? And the 27th floor adult pool only? We saw a child swimming there! And the 27th floor adult sun deck -we saw a child there, too! Ok, so that perturbed us. But we let it go because we figured it was our vacation why should we get riled up about it. There was also Camp Chelsea-great idea, but kids could only go into this room if supervised by adult. So, why was there staff in there all day long? Family friendly??????????? Wrong.

Next, out hotel room was somewhat close to the elevators, may be 30ft. away. Not far enough! All through the night we heard the elevator go up and down. The sound was a combination of a roller coaster and street car. Awful!

Thirdly, the room itself. Small. No mini fridge. And the bathroom floor….so gross. What high traffic area would get tiles in all white? There were so many dark areas on the floor. I was so disgusted by that. We wore our flip flops every time! And the bathtub-old! Needs major change. We were offered a family/kitchen suite for a $65 upgrade, but "Be forewarned," said the front desk clerk, "the room has not been updated." So we opted out of that. We wanted to stay on the 27th floor now you're offering us an old outdated room? I would hate to have seen that room after being in ours. If our room that we stayed in needed a re-do, then that suite/room must have needed to be knocked down!

Fourth, the family pool area! The same. Old, outdated tiling, all mainly white with lots of mildew and mould! Totally disturbing. And the chlorine levels in the pool-high. It made our eyes sting and we weren't even swimming!

And the front lobby. LOUD. Every single time we had to be there is was chaos. Not a relaxing ambiance at all. Mega tour groups. And the elevators had a stench of cooking in them. Really unappealing and the lobby, too. Every time we entered there was a bad/strong odour which we assumed was kitchen related. Just not appealing.

The we wanted to go to "Chelsea Beach". Sorry. you're too late to register. So NOT family friendly! I'm sorry I wasn't awake at 7am to pre-register.

When we checked out we were asked how our stay was and we complained of the noise and the desk clerk's suggestion was, "When you stay with us agin, be sure to ask for a room away from the elevators!"

Ha!
Stay again. No, thank you. How about they put some money into soundproofing the elevators!

Ok so after all the above complaints, I do want to mention that the housekeeping staff, the parking lot attendants and one waiter were very friendly and polite and welcoming. Bravo to these highly underpaid folks!

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevators! Ask to see your room in advance!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed here as our usual hotel was fully book, but were pleasantly surprised. It is a REALLY busy hotel, great location and well run. The rooms very clean, we had a balcony but the best part was the bed:) the bed,pillows and linens were so comfortable I didn't want to get up. Parking is easy and close. My only complaint was that the wallpaper was peeling off the wall - for the price point it's something that should be taken care of.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Missy m,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. We are delighted that you had the chance to stay with us and had a most enjoyable time. Our beds and bedding always get rave reviews and we are so glad you had a great rest. I do apologize that there was some minor discrepancy in the condition of your room and apologize that this was not addressed prior to your arrival. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights. Prices extremely reasonable for this area. Close to subway and we walked back from the Rogers Center in 20 minutes. The hotel is clean and the rooms are well kept. We attended one of the bars that had a jazz band playing, it was nice to pass some time. Parking was underground and was extra...$22.00/night. For downtown we thought this was acceptable. This hotel is situated within a few walking minutes of the hospitals and major shopping areas. Very central if you are planning a stay in Toronto. Hotel provides a kids/teens area with pool and games, but up on the roof is an adult only pool, sunning area, fitness gym and whirlpool and sauna. A great place to relax after a long day! Have a great stay.....we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kat N,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to learn of your enjoyable experiences while staying with us for the two nights. Our lobby bar, Monarchs Pub features live music on several nights during the week and we are glad you were able to enjoy it! Be sure to check our Facebook page for updates on different events happening at Monarchs Pub. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.