“Great location but no so great room.”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #59 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Great location but no so great room.”
Reviewed 23 October 2010

My girl friend and I chose to stay at this hotel for its great location. As good as its location is, we immediately encountered a problem when we were checking in. We spent about 20mins checking in only because they had checked somebody else earlier into our room. They made up by giving us a breakfast voucher and "upgraded" us to a suite with a kitchen.

The bads,
The room was not very inspring and the room smelled like paint and glue (from recent renovation).

The thermostat in our room was NOT always working (which made the paint/glue smell even worse) and the fan kept on spitting out white dust particles (probably from the renovation). The whole situation was extremely irritating to say the very least.

The sound proof wasn't anything spectacular either. Anything goes on in the hallway pretty much goes right thru the door.

The goods,
Provided that our room was a suite with kitchen, Delta was nice enough to complete the suite with all imaginable kitchen necessities (eg, kitchenware [pots, pan], sliver ware and appliance [microwave, frig, coffee machine and stove]). It's very convenient for those who wanna cook (but who would when there are tons of restaurants right around them?!?!?).

The mattress was very comfortable.

Summing it up...
The location is GREAT but I wouldn't stay here (crappy room by my standard) if I had not found a good rate (we paid $79 + TAX/night) thru online deal sites...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,117)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I am here because of a pain clinic I am attending. So it is neither business or leisure. I have had no laundry facilities in the women's change room on 2nd floor to which I have asked something be done( am on 3rd week and in men's change room doing laundry) very humiliating. When speaking with to me the appropriate people I am asked to go to their floor or office they do not come to me. Did I mention I am her for a pain clinic meaning in pain 24/7 and when asked to travel to other floors or other offices when I can hardly move after a vigorous week or day at hospital is ridiculous.even if I wasn't in pain where is the CUSTOMER SERVICE?. I had something delivered to my room by mistake and I called and notified guest services so they could deliver to right room. Last night I spoke to a manager at front desk (OCT 24) about laundry and he said some one would speak to me last night . Still waiting was in room all night. I have 4 weeks left and if possible I will get company to move me pretty sad. That is very inconvenient for me sort of like my whole stay has been. I will say the food and cleaning staff have gone above and beyond to do whatever they can I am not hard to please you can ask them. They have been fantastic from the servers, chefs, and managers all great personalities. My weekly cleaning lady she has tried to make it as easy as possible for me knowing I am away from my family and living out of my element. Cudo's to them. I would love to hearfrom someone with some sort of authority I never have since I have been losing my patience....Communication from each facility is a big thing if something isn't working notify front desk so guests can find out before travelling to area.. Thanks----Cindy .

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sunshine4evur2010

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I spent three nights here, arriving Friday Oct 15. I booked with Expedia and paid 170 Canadian dollars per night, which I thought a bit dear. I had a room on the fifth floor, accessed by the red elevators. It was quiet though I could very occasionally hear groups of people passing by. The best thing about the room was the beds. Mine was extremely comfortable. I could have done with a (plastic) teaspoon instead of a pair of plastic mini chopsticks. I thought the lobby was like Grand Central Station, and it looked shabby. There were queues for checking in and out but they moved quickly. I could leave my bags the day I checked out and got the coach to the airport just outside the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 October 2010

First off I need to thank the employees at the Privileges desk. These ladies who helped me were wonderful. I need to give an extra special shout out to XO ( I forgot the rest of her name, sorry. I just know it made me think of hearts and kisses.) Some people are Anglophiles, I am a Canophile yet this was my first trip there. She hooked me up with a beautiful room. I could even see the CN Tower from my balcony. Then she had them send up a small sample bottle of Ice Wine and chocolate. Later I lost a Groupon I had for dinner. Another Privileges employee opened the business center after it was closed and let me reprint the Groupon.
Now for the truth factors. 1. I got my room from the Priceline Negotiator. I paid about $70 a night. This made my stay amazing. I don't think I would have paid the $560 dollar asking price for the room. ( It was on the sign behind the front door.) I would value the room at about $200 to $250 dollar value. That would be totally reasonable.
2. Get a Delta Privileges membership. It is worth the 5 mins. of your time. Membership is free and has like its name, its Privileges. The biggest advantages for new members are free internet , special check-in, and extended check-out till 6pm. Read the Privilege benefits online. You'll see they are worth it.
3. I did not see the family pool but I liked the adult pool.
4. Those who are perfectionists will see the flaws like holes in the sheet scratches in the wood or dirty spots on the wall. It is a hotel room people. It is also a very big hotel. Don't expect perfection. Its not bad for what it is.
Overall I had a great experience and plan to go back again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank jaguarjg1
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I have stayed at the Delta Chelsea a few times now, as I will be again in a few days. I was surprised to read some of the reviews I just came across. I have had great experiences at the Delta Chelsea. Sure some of the rooms need updating but it is a big spot. What always makes the trip for me is the staff. What a fantastic group of people. This hotel has a great central location, 2 pools, great restaurants in the hotel and nearby, but what really makes it is the outstanding service provided by the staff. They are every willing to help. I thank them and look forward to my upcoming stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I chose this hotel because of its location. I knew it was not one of the best hotels but expected to be descent. The room was facing to a busy street, we could hear the noise from the street all night long and noise from neighboring rooms. I did not get a good night sleep. And there is no fridge in the room... I will not return there again nor recommend anyone but maybe teenagers who are there to party to stay there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Barrhead
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Spent a week in this hotel in Toronto. Like Toronto itself, the hotel is quite expensive but the double room was lovely with two large double beds, very comfortable. Food was good though expensive. Staff were extremely helpful. Adult only swimming pool is on the top floor of the hotel, alongside the gym and there is a small sun terrace also. (There is a children's pool on the 2nd floor.)
If you want to take any trips, e.g. to Niagara Falls, then book in the hotel itself. They couldn't do more to assist and really do know all about what is available and make sure you get booked on the correct trip.
Hotel location was convenient for public transport. Toronto public transport is excellent, expecially the subway which links to buses and trams to enable travelling all around Toronto. Hotel staff are knowledgable about transport and the people of Toronto are very helpful. We found that if we asked someone in the street for directions, several people would come forward to help.
We had a trip to Niagara and that was wonderful.
All in all, our trip to Toronto was superb.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
TorontoJon, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 14 October 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We were all very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to you returning in the future.

Jonathan Holliwell