“Fantastic!”

Ranked #60 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Mount Pearl, Canada
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Myself and 6 of my girlfriends travelled to Toronto for the weekend on Oct. 21 to celebrate my birthday and see the musical Wicked. I booked our rooms online through Travelzoo and got a rate of $115/night, which I thought was a great deal. I had done a LOT of research before selecting a hotel as I did not want to stay in a dump for 3 nights, and was a bit wary as the Delta Chelsea had mixed reviews...I'm so glad I decided to try it for myself! I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. The Airport Shuttle drops you off right on the doorstep of the hotel. Upon check in I asked the front desk clerk if I could possibly get free room upgrades, and he was happy to oblige (and made sure we still had adjoining rooms). I also asked to have fans and mini fridges for both rooms and they were brought up within minutes of arriving. One of my girlfriends had called ahead and asked if they could decorate my room for my birthday, so I arrived to a large wall banner and balloons everywhere, plus a complimentary tray was sent up with wine, cheese, crackers, fruit, cookies and milk. The second day they sent up a dessert of chocolates and dipped fruits. Any time we asked any staff member anything they were super nice and helpful, and made you feel right at home.

We had 3 and 4 people per room so we went through towels fairly quickly but it was never an issue to get more. The beds were amazingly comfortable, and despite having 4 occupants the room never felt too small. Loved that we could walk out onto a balcony. The adult-only pool and hot tub on the 27th floor are a great feature. Despite reading numerous complaints about the noise, I heard very little from the hallway, other rooms or outdoors. We didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants but we did visit Monarchs Pub a couple of times and enjoyed the atmosphere there. Maybe the biggest selling point of this hotel to me is location. Minutes walk to our theatre, the Eaton Centre and the "Times Square" of Toronto, and with 4 entrances bordering different streets, it took no time to get anywhere, even in heels!

The only complaint I have (and this is very minor) is that the rooms didn't have free internet. You could get WiFi in the lobby for free but if you wanted to use it in your room it cost $13.95 per day. This is kinda ridiculous in this day and age where most places have free WiFi, but is certainly not a deal breaker to stay at this hotel. Overall I LOVED it there and can't wait for my next trip to Toronto to stay there again!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2010

The hotel is on strike and when I booked for a four day stay they said that it was business as usual!!!!! There was no service in the hotel room- no clean up in the room- nothing. and they still charge the going rate! full rate for parking even if you had to wait to get in and out and cross the picket lines - Business as usual! - no way

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

New York
Reviewed 31 October 2010

There is a strike causing service interruptions and loud picketers at 7:30 AM on a Sunday morning. When I called down to the front desk just now, the person from management was rude ans dismissive, too. Shame, Shame. Say what you want about the issues causing the strike. It is your decisions NOW facing customers during the strike that will surely more permamently damage your reputation. What is a decent night's sleep worth? What is proper service worth?I know that this a furious person who just got no sleep on the one night I have with my wife away from my kids, but it is cclear that Delta Chelsea management doesnt care about its customers - not because of the strike, but because of how they are dealing with it.
They should not be booking rooms under these circumstances.
The strike will be resolved, eventually, of course. but I would never stay at a hotel where Management cares so little about its guests - or staff.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2010

My wife and I arrived at the hotel on the evening of 29 October for a getaway trip. We called the reservation desk at the hotel directly on Thursday and made our reservation with them. We were not told the hotel workers had gone on strike on Wednesday! We were greeted by polite but noisy hotel workers on strike but had no problem crossing the picket line. Our room was dirty, beds were haphazardly made, bathroom was disgusting with only one bath towel, face cloth and hand towel. No soaps or other vanity items. It appears management is trying to run the over1550 room hotel by themselves. There is no room service, one restaurant is open but it is over priced and the quality of food sub par. Staff are short tempered and no bars are open. Exiting and Entering the hotel means crossing a picket line and that was tough to do morally. Again, the striking workers were most polite and gave us no grief crossing the picket line. The noise was constant sun up to sundown. The atmosphere is tense inside the hotel with all sorts of security guards and cameras videotaping everything. We checked out Saturday evening at midnight and the Front Desk refused to compensate us for the mess we entered. We are in another hotel at a cheaper rate that has real food and now happy. Funny, the striking workers were kinder to us than the inside staff. What a shame, it was once such a great hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Hamilton Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed 30 October 2010

As we were travelling with young children, our family decided to get a one bedroom suite, and a "Family Fun" room, which looked great on the website. On arrival the hotel looks very nice, and the staff were accommodating when we realized that our rooms were further apart than hoped. Unfortunately, it started to go downhill from there.
When we got into the one bed suite, it didn't appear to be very clean (to the point where the last guests old lettuce leaves were still on the fridge shelves). This wasn't a huge deal, and as it was we had to move rooms as the door handle was broken. The Family Fun room had stains on the carpet (I realize that accidents happen with kids, but there are ways of cleaning carpeting) and the play area was nothing like that shown on the website. Instead, it was a small childrens table, two stools and a chalkboard. It was a bit disappointing.
On the first night we got room service, and although it took a little while to get to the room, it was very nice. As we were watching the news that night, we saw that the hotel workers were going to be going on strike - the next day.
At 6am the next morning we woke to construction directly across the road. We weren't warned about this beforehand. At 7am the protesters kicked in, with drums and loudspeakers and whistles. This carried on until about 7- 8pm for the remaining 4 days that we were there. The staff protesting were housekeeping and in-room dining, so that meant that the rooms were not serviced, we were not able to get room service, and 2 of the restaurants were shut during that time. We realize that the situation was unusual, and cleaned our own rooms and ate elsewhere or cooked in-room for ourselves during that time.
We did eventually receive notification from Management about the strike, at just before noon on the day it began due to a note slipped under our door.
Upon checkout we discussed with the desk attendant the compensation they were offering due to the lack of services available during the strike. They indicated that none were being offered. My husband then bought up that there is a leaflet in each bathroom indicating that, if you are not happy with your stay, they would give you the first night free! She spoke to a manager and it was agreed that of the five nights, one would be free. We were very happy.
Later in the day, another Manager called and indicated that the person we spoke to that morning did not have the authority to give us the discount. We mentioned that we were very unhappy, and while we realize it was unusual circumstances the fact of the matter is that we did not receive the services we expected, and compensation should be offered. The manager indicated that they did tell us about the strike - true, but AFTER we found out on the news the night before. We then mentioned the promise to give the first night free if unhappy - apparently this is null and void under strike circumstances (though that small detail wasn't mentioned on the leaflet). After some more back and forth with the Manager, she informed us that we always had the option to stay somewhere else. Next time we will.
I do believe that if service was operational as usual, I would have been quite satisfied with the stay. The location was convenient, and kids enjoyed the Family Fun Centre and adjacent pool. And had we been able to order room service again, I have no doubt it would have been good. The rooms left a bit to be desired for a 4-star hotel, and were dated, not as clean as one would expect, and we weren't able to go out on the balconies thanks to the amount of bird poop.
Ultimately, thanks to the response of Management, we would not consider staying again, and certainly would not recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank BdaVisitor
toronto
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Am presently staying at the delta with family who are undergoing testing at the hospital. The room upon arrival was a disappointment. It is very small, and not clean. Obsviously it hadn't been thourghly cleaned before our arrival. The support staff went on strike during our stay........need I say more, all the comforts were are being charged for are not being provided, not to mention the noise level at all entrances due to the workers picketing. The bed linens are lumpy beyond statement. Would not stay here again! The only positive thing is the location for our purpose. The food is way overpriced in the hotel resturants, dined out at a resturant nearby after the first night.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank notpei
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 28 October 2010

I have stayed at Super8's which were nicer than this hotel. The hotel staff although friendly enough, were completely inept, with long waits for service and a lack of communication between front-desk managers. Our "modern, renovated room, with a balcony overlooking the city" was run-down with threadbare carpets, a disgusting, mildewy bathroom and a balcony consisting of crumbling concrete with a view facing a wall. Upon arrival, we found the lobby full-of drunken, rowdy twenty-somethings. I would highly recommend paying the extra few dollars to stay at one of the areas nicer hotels and skip this one. This was my first and final stay in a Delta hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends