“Tired but improving”

Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East
Ranked #124 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This is my 3rd stay in the hotel.Last time 2 weeks end of October and 1st week of November. I have found the staff over all very helpful and the swimming pool fine.The air pump on the hot tub is not working.When I checked in to my room there was a problem but transferred to another room very quickly. The rooms are very large and I had no complaints with the room I had. They are priced reasonable and the location is near transportation both Highway and transit. The breakfast is Continental. The hotel is under going renovations and it takes time. For the time that I was there the hotel was very full and sitting in the lobby in the morning reading the paper it is amazing the number of people that thank the staff for a pleasant stay. Thay have to be doing something right.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
HojoTorontoEast, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by changing room; but I am glad you were satisfied after changing the room . About the air pump on the hot tub, you need to switch it on if you want to use it. I am not sure if you have done that or it happened not working that day. Please don't hesitate to contact our front desk if you encounter any problem using our facilities.

The feedback you have provided will help us to grow and provide better customer service/accommodations in the future. It is greatly appreciated and we look forward to your returning soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Unexpectedly bad for a Howard Johnson name. I was totaly shocked by how dirty this place was. Hygiene was absent with flys humming around, garbage left in the hallway, filthy... And they still charged $92.05/nite.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank Hunsurfer

Thank you for submitting a review. I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel during June 2011. We understand some of our fixtures in some of the rooms are not in a very good condition but we have working on continuous renovation and improvement. Up to date, we have fully upgraded some of the guest rooms, hallways, public areas and all facilities in our swimming pool. Our hope is that you will allow us another opportunity in our renovated rooms.

The garbage bags left at the exit to garbage tank was caused by our restaurant tenant who happened have some issues with their garbage collection contractor and the garbage bags were left there without informing us nor our approval. We had taken immediate action to make the hygiene problem under control. I am very sorry for the bad experience caused by this incident.

Again, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed 6 October 2011

The location is good as there are not many hotels in eastern Toronto. The parking i generous but need some maintenance e g white paint on curbs and lines.
The swimming pool was badly attended to and need refreshment and cleaning. The changing rooms upstairs had no hooks or anything else to put your clothes on.
The breakfast was sparse and the area needs an urgent renovation and change of the dirty furniture to new ones.
More smiles and eye contact from the front desk would be welcome.
Rooms and cleaning was good.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kxtp4i
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2011

We appreciate the time you took to upload a review. It is true that our hotel is in need of a change, and as such we have begun the renovation process. We have already finished renovations on some of our rooms and will continue with the rest. As we are still under renovations, there are plans to finish all hallways and common areas, including the breakfast room. I am glad to hear your enjoyed your stay in the room and that the cleaning was good. I hope you will return to our hotel in the near future when our renovations are complete and submit a follow-up review.

Reviewed 4 October 2011

They are in the process of renovating, so maybe things will get better.
The walk to the room was a maze, up and down short steps with flimsy 'ramps' past peeling paint and exposed heating pipes. The view of the old pool area was startling; hopefully they will remove the old pool and fix up the courtyard. Our smoking room was filthy. The carpet was stained, wallpaper peeling and there was something resembling dark mold on the shower ceiling. We found 2 Advils on the floor next to the nightstand and it looked like it had been a while since a vacuum had been in that area. We asked for a nicer room and were offered a non-smoking as they were phasing out smoking and were using the older rooms for smokers. We made the best of it and changed hotels the next day. The gentleman at the front desk was as helpful as he could be, as were the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dawulf
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the housekeeping issue you found in the initial room you checked in to, it is not acceptable and action has been taken to prevent this in the future. I am glad the Front Desk staff was very helpful and offered to change your room immediately. It is true that our hotel is undergoing renovations, and we have already finished renovations on some of our guest rooms. We are currently in the process of renovating hallways and other public areas for better guest satisfaction. I hope when the renovations have been completed you will visit our hotel and submit a follow-up review of your experience.

Reviewed 19 September 2011

We booked this hotel for my family and other family members for the recent wedding of our daughter. It was very close to our future in laws home and the church where the wedding was being held so it was very convenient. When we arrived we found out they had canceled our reservation due to some error and had to scramble to find rooms for us. When we did get to our room I found some other person's luggage in the room. I went back and told the woman at the front desk, the color immediately drained from her face. After we got another room we found that the recently renovated rooms we nice enough but nothing special. The towels in the room were very thin and in need of replacement. There was newer tile in the bathroom and entryway and a small fridge near the front door. We were on the ground floor so the sliding glass door afforded another means of entry to the room but they were in serious need of repair and it took alot of muscle to get them opened and closed. Continental breakfast was offered every morning but unless you're a big fan of cereal and toast find someplace else to eat. As for dinner there was a cheap looking Chinese buffet attached to this hotel so dinner options were limited. In closing the only thing I can say is that this hotel offered clean simple rooms at a decent price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Bombero2556
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I apologize for any inconvenience caused upon check-in; however, I am glad we were able to accommodate you in one of our newly renovated rooms at the end of it all. The feedback you have provided will help us to grow and provide even better customer service/accommodations in the future - it is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I changed in and was assigned a room on the second floor. One of my traveling campanions is handicapped so I asked to be close to the elevator. NO elevator and no offer to move us to the First floor. The hotel is undergoing renovations and a friend not travelling with me stated he be glad to renovate if he only had a grenade. Swimming pool and hot tub were nice. Bar/lounge was not open.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank BV79
HojoTorontoEast, Reservations Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to upload a review of your stay. I am sorry to hear that you were not accommodated with a room on the first floor like you were hoping. The front desk staff may have thought that you requested a room on the first floor only due to personal preference and not realized that it was a must for a room on the first floor due to health reasons. If this happens again in the future please make it clear to the front desk staff that your companion cannot climb the stairs and must have a room on the ground floor, we will be more than willing to make some adjustments and assign a room for you on the first floor. We are glad you enjoyed our newly renovated indoor swimming pool and hot tub. The bar/lounge at our hotel is no longer open; however, our on-site restaurant China Buffet King is open daily for lunch/dinner and there are a few restaurants and a pub within walking distance of the hotel.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

the manager tried to give us a diffrent roon with a better smell, but the whole hotel smells musty and smokey, I had to go and buy different odour neutralizers and spray the hallway and our room so we could sleep. unless you've lost your sense of smell, I don't suggest this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank charlie c

Thank you for submitting a review. I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel. The smell of smoke you experienced possibly came from a guest wrongfully smoking in a non-smoking room, that we were not aware of at the time. When such situations happen, the room must undergo extensive deep cleaning to get rid of the smoke odor. Again, I am sorry for this inconvenience and trust that the room you were moved to was okay.