“PAY ME $100 AND I WILL NOT STAY THERE AGAIN!”

Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East
Ranked #127 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I would just pay the extra $20 and go to another hotel. My friend booked this hotel without checking reviews... And yes.... once we arrived, it was disgusting as hell! You cannot even walk on the carpet, I felt like my shoes were getting dirty while walking on the room carpet. The pictures which were uploaded through management do NOT in NOWAY describe what the rooms really look like. Every corner you turn to you will find something. From run down wall paper, dirty stained towels, shower disgusting (felt like walking into a sewer)!!! Oh boy oh boy, let me tell you, if you paid me $100 to stay in that hotel for a night, I would decline!! You guys just read and avoid this hotel. It is worse than anything else I've ever seen, and trust me I have been to many motels & hotels.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank cairo t

Reviewed 14 December 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE! This hotel has nothing but escorts and dangerous people. I had been approached by people asking how much i cost... SERIOUSLY!?!?!? Is that a joke.... I even had cops knock on my door and said there had been a noise complain... WHY didn't the front desk tell me first... ALSO we were there for shopping for Christmas, just got back and were watching a movie, being silent with nothing but the TV on (not being loud by any means). Breakfast was HORRIBLE! hard bagels and toast. not much variety. The front desk messed up on my reservation. it was just a HORRIBLE experience and i was so frustrated by the end of my stay. NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO BACK!

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor if you do stay here
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank Kara B
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed here with my Wife, Father-in-law and son for 2 nites. I was skeptical from reviews and bad experience from a friend of mine, but we decided to try it anyways due to the low price for this area. Upon coming in the front door, a group of middle aged women said we should leave right away.

Our room must have been one if the newly renovated, as the beds were new, TV was new and curtains too. The place is definitely old, and would use a major overall clean, but we got what we paid for. We didn't have any noise complaints and the floors in the room were decent, bathroom was pretty clean.

I never had to speak with the staff, other than asking for extra towels...so no comments or complaints about them. We also didn't try the pool, but it didn't look very appealing either.

My father in law went to the breakfast on the first morning and a group of kids there, one of them sneezed right into the open cereal jar, so he went for coffee only. We tried the toast, but had to dig down for a bread slice that was not dried up and hard. The danish were like rocks and tasteless. Coffee was actually not bad. I guess you get what you pay for in this regard so it was cheaper than a Timmy's visit for 4 people.

My two negative comments are about the parking lot lighting and bath towels. I lived in this area growing up, but nowadays would be concerned for my car safety. They post signs saying they are not responsible for loss, but they could use some better parking lot lighting and maybe add a couple cameras or security for increased peace of mind. We parked in front of the hotel for our stay.

My other complaint is typical for a lot of hotels that use the miniature bath towels. We usually bring our own, but forgot this time. The towels worked...but I stayed in a Super 8 a day later that had towels twice the size and thickness of the ones HoJo used.

Room Tip: With one handicap person in my group, we asked for a room close to the main lobby. I think this hel...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Forsythethedwarf
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The walls in the halls had the wall paper coming off. The room was not clean...there were left over crumbs on the floor. The box spring was torn and who knows how old. The bed was uncomfortable. The heat did not work and neither did the phone to call the desk or get a wake up call. It was also very hard to locate.

The whole exprience is one I wish to forget.....don't go there.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank cvank
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Not a pleasant experience. Painfully slow at the front desk for checking in. Under staffed. One person answering phones and trying to check many people in. Needs to be improved. Rooms clean, but a dreadful odor in the room. A cross between musty and carpet cleaner. Carpets throughout hotel need replacing. They are stained and worn quite badly. Continental breakfast included and very good. As mentioned in title, I'm glad my stay was for one night only. Not sure I'll be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Allan W
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This is my 3rd stay in the hotel.Last time 2 weeks end of October and 1st week of November. I have found the staff over all very helpful and the swimming pool fine.The air pump on the hot tub is not working.When I checked in to my room there was a problem but transferred to another room very quickly. The rooms are very large and I had no complaints with the room I had. They are priced reasonable and the location is near transportation both Highway and transit. The breakfast is Continental. The hotel is under going renovations and it takes time. For the time that I was there the hotel was very full and sitting in the lobby in the morning reading the paper it is amazing the number of people that thank the staff for a pleasant stay. Thay have to be doing something right.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
HojoTorontoEast, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson Inn and Suites Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by changing room; but I am glad you were satisfied after changing the room . About the air pump on the hot tub, you need to switch it on if you want to use it. I am not sure if you have done that or it happened not working that day. Please don't hesitate to contact our front desk if you encounter any problem using our facilities.

The feedback you have provided will help us to grow and provide better customer service/accommodations in the future. It is greatly appreciated and we look forward to your returning soon.

Reviewed 3 November 2011

Unexpectedly bad for a Howard Johnson name. I was totaly shocked by how dirty this place was. Hygiene was absent with flys humming around, garbage left in the hallway, filthy... And they still charged $92.05/nite.

• Stayed: June 2011
4  Thank Hunsurfer

Thank you for submitting a review. I am sorry to hear about your experience at our hotel during June 2011. We understand some of our fixtures in some of the rooms are not in a very good condition but we have working on continuous renovation and improvement. Up to date, we have fully upgraded some of the guest rooms, hallways, public areas and all facilities in our swimming pool. Our hope is that you will allow us another opportunity in our renovated rooms.

The garbage bags left at the exit to garbage tank was caused by our restaurant tenant who happened have some issues with their garbage collection contractor and the garbage bags were left there without informing us nor our approval. We had taken immediate action to make the hygiene problem under control. I am very sorry for the bad experience caused by this incident.

Again, we want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive are taken seriously. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. We look forward to serving you again.