“Comfortable stay”

Ranked #121 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Ajax
“Comfortable stay”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My family and I had a comfortable stay at Howard Johnson! We stayed at a newly renovated suit. The price of the rooms were reasonable compared to the nearest hotels. It is reasonable since there is a swimming pool and breakfast included. The location is great because it is near downtown,highway and public transportation. I would recommend this hotel for a comfortable stay.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Spend the weekend in Toronto...booked it because it was a cheap hotel. Read the reviews and was a little disturbed, but it really wasn't that bad. Does smell a lot like cigarette smoke everywhere, and the courtyard was in disrepair (but the signs said it wasn't maintained until the summer months). If you're just looking for a place to crash at night, would recommend it. Only downside is the distance from downtown and the walk to the nearest subway stop...cab rides are expensive as we learned.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank billbo2345
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I would just pay the extra $20 and go to another hotel. My friend booked this hotel without checking reviews... And yes.... once we arrived, it was disgusting as hell! You cannot even walk on the carpet, I felt like my shoes were getting dirty while walking on the room carpet. The pictures which were uploaded through management do NOT in NOWAY describe what the rooms really look like. Every corner you turn to you will find something. From run down wall paper, dirty stained towels, shower disgusting (felt like walking into a sewer)!!! Oh boy oh boy, let me tell you, if you paid me $100 to stay in that hotel for a night, I would decline!! You guys just read and avoid this hotel. It is worse than anything else I've ever seen, and trust me I have been to many motels & hotels.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank cairo t
London, Canada
Reviewed 14 December 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE! This hotel has nothing but escorts and dangerous people. I had been approached by people asking how much i cost... SERIOUSLY!?!?!? Is that a joke.... I even had cops knock on my door and said there had been a noise complain... WHY didn't the front desk tell me first... ALSO we were there for shopping for Christmas, just got back and were watching a movie, being silent with nothing but the TV on (not being loud by any means). Breakfast was HORRIBLE! hard bagels and toast. not much variety. The front desk messed up on my reservation. it was just a HORRIBLE experience and i was so frustrated by the end of my stay. NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO BACK!

Room Tip: Get a room on the upper floor if you do stay here
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
8 Thank Kara B
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 December 2011

I stayed here with my Wife, Father-in-law and son for 2 nites. I was skeptical from reviews and bad experience from a friend of mine, but we decided to try it anyways due to the low price for this area. Upon coming in the front door, a group of middle aged women said we should leave right away.

Our room must have been one if the newly renovated, as the beds were new, TV was new and curtains too. The place is definitely old, and would use a major overall clean, but we got what we paid for. We didn't have any noise complaints and the floors in the room were decent, bathroom was pretty clean.

I never had to speak with the staff, other than asking for extra towels...so no comments or complaints about them. We also didn't try the pool, but it didn't look very appealing either.

My father in law went to the breakfast on the first morning and a group of kids there, one of them sneezed right into the open cereal jar, so he went for coffee only. We tried the toast, but had to dig down for a bread slice that was not dried up and hard. The danish were like rocks and tasteless. Coffee was actually not bad. I guess you get what you pay for in this regard so it was cheaper than a Timmy's visit for 4 people.

My two negative comments are about the parking lot lighting and bath towels. I lived in this area growing up, but nowadays would be concerned for my car safety. They post signs saying they are not responsible for loss, but they could use some better parking lot lighting and maybe add a couple cameras or security for increased peace of mind. We parked in front of the hotel for our stay.

My other complaint is typical for a lot of hotels that use the miniature bath towels. We usually bring our own, but forgot this time. The towels worked...but I stayed in a Super 8 a day later that had towels twice the size and thickness of the ones HoJo used.

Room Tip: With one handicap person in my group, we asked for a room close to the main lobby. I think this hel...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Forsythethedwarf
Port Colborne, Ontario Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2011

The walls in the halls had the wall paper coming off. The room was not clean...there were left over crumbs on the floor. The box spring was torn and who knows how old. The bed was uncomfortable. The heat did not work and neither did the phone to call the desk or get a wake up call. It was also very hard to locate.

The whole exprience is one I wish to forget.....don't go there.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank cvank
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Not a pleasant experience. Painfully slow at the front desk for checking in. Under staffed. One person answering phones and trying to check many people in. Needs to be improved. Rooms clean, but a dreadful odor in the room. A cross between musty and carpet cleaner. Carpets throughout hotel need replacing. They are stained and worn quite badly. Continental breakfast included and very good. As mentioned in title, I'm glad my stay was for one night only. Not sure I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family