“Needs a lot of work”

Halifax, Canada
“Needs a lot of work”
Reviewed 14 September 2007

Good Pts:

Carpet & furniture looked fairly new. Free continental breakfast was decent. Tons of free parking. The suite had a micro-fridge. The hotel is located just south of Highway 401 & is only a 5-10 min. drive to Ellesmere TTC LRT station (about 40 min. on LRT & subway to downtown Toronto). Although located next to the 401, little traffic noise permeated the room which faced the highway. The staff, both at the front desk & in housekeeping, was friendly, professional, & attentive. They dealt with the small problems with little delay. And the rates are very reasonable, especially for Toronto (which is over-priced).

Bad Pts:

Stained bedspreads. Defective coffee-maker carafe spilled hot coffee on counter. Defective TV remote (All 3 of these problems were rectified, though). Hole in wall under sink in bathroom around plumbing. Both faucets in bathroom & kitchenette need new aerators (water sprayed everywhere). Stained mattress. Dirty patio doors. Only 1 garbage can in suite (need 2).

This was our 2nd stay at this hotel. The 1st back in Apr. did not go well as both beds were really damaged. After I e-mailed the hotel about the problems on our first stay, the room manager provided a free upgrade to a suite + 50% off rack rate for our next stay. The suite was better that the first room, but still had the above problems, some of which were resolved. The staff tried very hard to accommodate the guests when problems were brought to their attention, but the owners really need to spend the money on renovations.

Overall, if you’re looking for a cheaper room with free breakfast & parking, & don’t want to drive into Toronto, this hotel will do. But, if you prefer more quality accommodations, keep looking.

• Liked — Location, price
  • Disliked — Needs a lot of renovations
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cornwall
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I wish I had read some reviews before going. I'm with most of the other people about how terrible the conditions were. We had mould in our bathroom ceiling. The carpets hadn't been vacuumed in who knows how long. The paint flakes were all over... The comforter on the bed had cigarette burns. We were going to the zoo in the morning so it would be nice to let the kids swim in the pool before breakfast but the pool didn't open before 9am??? PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL

I wrote to HoJo about this so I will update the review if they respond.

We checked out after the first night and went to the Delta Toronto East. Delta saved our vacation and my pride.

• Liked — Nothing positive to say.
  • Disliked — Dirty, mouldy, old, out-dated, dirty, dirty
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank dwitty
nepean
Reviewed 16 July 2007

I stayed at this hotel with my family and I have to say it was horrible. I should have saved my $89 and stayed in a cardboard box at the city dump, that would have been an improvement. The reservation manager who sounded like she was asian was extremely rude. Even letting homeless people stay at this hotel would be cruel.

Stayed July 2007
5 Thank bangymcwankle
Toronto
Reviewed 20 June 2007

I attended this hotel for a 3 day conference in June 2007. The Howard
Johnson Hotel chain should be ashamed to associate their name with this property. I have never in my life seen a more run-down, dilapitated, disgusting hotel anywhere in the world.

I observed mouldy drywall in the hallways, which were not vacuumed. Glass and windows throughout the building were not clean. The washrooms had cobwebs in them. Utensils used to to serve pastries and
muffins were permanently stained and dirty. The hot water container used to serve tea was full of rust. When the food service lady came to check it, her uniform was filthy dirty. The outdoor pool was GREEN. The small garden area outside our conference room had weeds and bushes so overgrown you couldn't even walk around. There were cracks on ceilings and walls throughout.

Although the buffet restaurant was much cleaner and the food not too bad, almost all the plates they used to serve the food were cracked and chipped. In the washroom outside the restaurant area, 3 of the stall were out of order. The one I used had rust and bugs all around the base of it.

Need I say more.......................The Toronto Public Health Department should shut this place down. Howard Johnsons need to demolish this place. Thank goodness I was staying off-site for this conference. I would never ever book a room at this hotel. IT WAS REALLY CREEPY.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank boxersox
scarborough ontario
Reviewed 14 November 2006

This place is a mess.
No ashtrays in the smoking rooms.
Not vaccuumed properly.
No plug for the tub.
Missing security devices on doors and windows.
The whole place smells of disenfectant but it is not enough to cover up the stench of who knows what!
I stayed in 2 different rooms with exactly the same results.
At least they are consistent!!!
Management was rude and insulting.

2 good points about this place:

The maintenance guy went out of his way to find me an ashtray and apologized for the state of the hotel. He said that they didn't want to put any money into it as it was for sale.

The pool and hot tub were very well kept. (But the changerooms were discusting).

I tried to find a place to complain about the conditions but was unable to do so. i can't understand why Howard Johnsons would lend there good name to such an establishment.

I they wish to contact me, i can be reached at: dnoseworthy@qxtechservices.com

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — The dirt
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't go here
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
9 Thank locator54
Auckland
Reviewed 6 November 2006

We booked from New Zealand so had to rely on the website and didn't it look great for our holiday in June 2005!! Outdoor pool, landscaping, free breakfast, I thought this will do us for 5 nights !! After the the first night if our money hadn't already been taken by Visa and we would have had to have found somewhere else in a city we didn't know with our child in tow, we'd have gone.....far, far away ! If I had known then that we could check hotels on the internet like I have just done, the reviews would have rung alarm bells. Our first room had no air conditioning....in June ! We had 1 coffee cup to share and after phoning the reception to ask for another, we got a percolator an hour later and a telling off about what had we done to the first one ?? I explained my husband and I preferred our own coffee cups as we were planning to drink at the same time. The manager huffed off and 30 minutes later I went to reception to try my luck again. When the grumpy and unhelpful son of the manager went to get one from the "restaurant" he came back and said he couldn't find one !!! Asked for one from a room that wasn't occupied and that was a problem for him too. The air con was supposed to be getting fixed the next day, so I left it at that and hoped that would fix the musty smell in the bathroom also.
The next day our key wouldn't let us back in as it had only been programmed for one night so in we had to traipse from one end of the hotel around to reception from the outside with a very tired 4 year old as there was no way we could get into our room. The air con wasn't fixed, the room stunk like something dead and we were NOT happy.
After the key had been sorted out, my husband asked the handyman who had come to check that the air con really wasn't working if we could go to another room. He said no problem and was a honey about it. Opened up a room about 4 doors along and the air con worked, it had 2 coffee cups and it didn't smell.....thought we'd gone to heaven !! We moved all our luggage to the room as he said the other one shouldn't have been used. My husband went back to reception to get the keys redone and was told we couldn't have that room....it was booked for someone else !! In words somewhat other than this, my husband said we were NOT moving and to give the next victim our old room instead.
As he is quite a large man and was seriously ticked off about the treatment so far we had received, I think the son at reception did the wise thing and said okay ...we could keep the room.
Now the breakfast was something else ! Stale pastries and paper plates and cups and plastic cutlery made us wonder when the UN supplies were arriving....by now we were starting to get a sense of humour about the place because it was like being in a episode of Fawlty Towers (an English comedy set in a poorly run hotel with a rude, arrogant manager). The outdoor pool that had looked so inviting on the website was empty and full of leaves and other assorted trash. The landscaping was an overgrown mess and after a flock of Canadian geese used the front entrance area as a mass toilet, it stayed like that from when we went out that morning until late in the afternoon when we came back and my husband complained about the smell and potential hygiene hazard from it.......grudgingly, someone went out and hosed the mess away......I mean ewwww! We were really pleased to leave and once bitten, did not stay at another Howard Johnson during the rest of our holiday in Canada. This place gives the chain a bad name and with my husband and I having travelled all over the world, this has got to be the worst we've ever encountered. The only redeeming feature of the whole experience was the heated pool was clean and a more pleasant place to be than our room, which quite frankly was grubby and smelly and not up to 3 stars at all.
This is not a happy place.

Stayed June 2005
12 Thank jane&mike
Guelph
Reviewed 25 September 2006

ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!! I booked this room through the Medeival Times Website. Well, I've written them and told them to take this hotel OFF their list. It's SICK. It STINKS, the rooms, are awful, the bathrooms are all rusted and the I left with a back ache and sore Neck from one night of sleep in this place. Plus I felt like I stunk after leaving!! I was almost in tears when I walked into the Lobby let alone our Room!! DO NOT GO HERE!!!! Spend a few extra dollars and stay at a decent hotel. I would have spent $300/night rather than stay here. WILL NEVER GO BACK NOR RECOMMEND IT.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple