“Hotel Stay”

Radisson Hotel Toronto East
Ranked #69 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The washrooms could use updating. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very spacious with a couch and sitting area. It was walking distance to nice restaurants and coffee shops. We would stay here again.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

From the moment we arrived in the hotel until the instant we checked out we experienced issue upon issue. First of all, my party arrived at 3:05pm. When I went to check us in the woman at the front desk said, “Well check in time is not until 3pm” and when I stated that it was past 3pm she said to me, “You will need to wait about 15 minutes because I don’t have any rooms available.” I was finally able to check in around 3:30pm. I was told that she had us wait because she saw that there were 3 rooms blocked together for myself, my parents, and my sister and that she wanted to keep us together because we stated the importance of it when we made the reservations. When I was checked in the woman at the front desk told me that she switched my room because it wasn’t ready and said she would do the same for the other 2 reservations. I also want to state that when I looked at the paper we were first given at check-in I noticed that the card they listed as on file for the room was neither the card I gave when I made the reservation nor was it the card we used at check-in. We updated the correct card but it was very disconcerting that somehow a random card appeared on our reservation and it worries me that the card I used to make the reservation with is floating around on someone else’s reservation because clearly someone else’s credit card was placed on mine. My family checked in a few hours after we did. Initially at check-in my sister was given a room on the 7th floor and my parents were on the 8th while my room was located on the 9th floor. The woman at the front desk clearly did not keep her promise that we were all going to be on the same floor. Additionally, both my parents and my sister had difficulty checking in. The front desk did not have my parents’ reservation, which they had just a few hours earlier, and when my mom gave her confirmation number there was a different name on that reservation and someone was checked into that room. Again, this raises the concern that reservations were not handled well and someone else checked into a room that had my mother’s credit card information on it. Then, my sister and her husband were checked into a room that was dirty and potentially occupied. They were then moved into a room on the 9th floor. I would also like to state that out of three elevators only one of them worked. One elevator was stuck on the 9th floor and another elevator would go up down to different floors but the doors would never open. At one point in time on Sunday the 10th they did open and I decided to wait until the only working elevator came because I was not in the mood to get stuck in a elevator. That night was one of the worst night’s sleeps I have ever had. First of all, there was a reunion at some sort going on in the hotel and a bunch of teenagers broke into the stairwell and accessed the roof. Being on the 9th floor, which is the top floor of the hotel, I heard them up there for at least an hour before the hotel staff took care of it. Furthermore, I have never slept on a mattress that hard before. It was like sleeping on a rock. I was never informed at check-in that the mattress was a sleep number bed and there was nothing in the room indicating that it was either. My sister accidentally found the remote to the bed the morning of the 10th and informed that it was a sleep number. No one in my entire party was made aware of this. My father was up in the middle of the night and went down to the front desk to complain to the manager about everything. There he was accused by on the employees that he was attempting to gain access to the employee computers to do who knows what. There was also no one at the front desk for 25 minutes to assist him. Our compensation for these “minor inconveniences” was free breakfast for our whole party that morning. The breakfast that was served is a travesty and insult to the word breakfast. The eggs were cold, the bacon was overcooked, the sausages were disgusting, and the beans were clumped together. Additionally, no one knew how to work the waffle maker and it continuously beeped throughout our entire meal. When my sister went to turn it so it would stop beeping the man who was using it yelled at her for touching his waffles. Furthermore, there was no syrup to go with the waffles! No syrup in Canada? That is absurd. We ended up going across the street to Starbucks to get something different. When we came back to the hotel the night of the 10th my boyfriend and I searched the room high and low for the remote control for the sleep number bed and I was unable to locate it. My boyfriend and I attempted to call the front desk for 15 minutes and there was no answer and the calls kept returning to a disconnected tone or the main menu. I then tried to go down to the front desk but after waiting 5 minutes for the elevator I decided to keep trying by phone. Finally someone picked up. About 10 minutes later a maintenance man knocked on my door and gave me a remote for the bed with no explanation on how to use it. Just handed it to me and left quicker than he came. When I tried to use it the remote read, “ERR.” After the trouble I had to get the first remote I ultimately decided that any attempt I would exert to get a new remote would be futile. That night I stole my boyfriend’s pillows while he was sleeping so I didn’t have to sleep on such a hard surface. My back hurt for 4 days after I checked out of the hotel. I was up early the next morning and went down to the front desk to complain. The woman I spoke to was very nice and gave me a total of $75 off of my entire stay. I had already received complimentary parking for having to wait so long to check in. My parents received $50 off their stay and my sister and her husband received no compensation. Honestly, the effort at the end was too little too late. It didn’t make up for the horrendous weekend we spent there and up until that moment no one seemed to care how miserable we were in their hotel. I worked in the hospitality industry for four years and I understand what it is like to be on the other side of the desk. Up until check out no one made a genuine effort to rectify our stay and we felt unwelcome and uncared for. I couldn’t wait to get out of that place. This stay was so terrible that I will never again stay at Radisson or any hotel associated with this brand.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels
RadissonToronto, Manager at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take pride in our “Yes I Can!” culture and do apologize that you did not receive this level of service. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services.
We apologize for the experience and do hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with the Radisson Brand wherever your travels may take you.
We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Please reach out to any of our Management team directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was looking forward to staying at this property and ended up being disappointed. The check-in gave me a room card that did not work and the Club Carlson Card was not activated in my name... The wi-fi was terrible, called for help and got no help or improvement. Stuck for three days with intermittent internet is not fun. Thought property would be spic and span and looking great. Not the case.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly.

Regards,

Hotel Management

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Overall, front desk staff was awesome. Room was ok, except for the loud air conditioner and a dirty cup that was left in the room. Only stayed for one night, thank goodness because there were soo many kids there, it was loud, they were rude and running all over the place. I over heard the manager stop a lady to tell her that her kids went on the roof of the hotel! Not something I wanted to know. Not the hotels fault, but it was annoying. Otherwise it's a great location, but I expected a bit better than that, especially for the price.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Rooms were clean, showers worked well. Breakfast selection was decent and the teenager loved the waffles.
The elevator broke down while we were there and there were 14 of us stuck on it for an hour and a half. We understand these things happen from time to time and when we talked to the staff about it they gave us a free night and breakfast for the four of us. So we feel fairly compensated.
Parking is included - you just have to record your plate with the desk and they don't ticket you in the parking lot. Noticed another reviewer had complained about that so I thought I should clear that up.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is not inhabitable. Everything has broken down, elevator, ice machine , soda machine. The AC was broken and they could not fix it and we had to check out after 5 hours. Will never stay at a Radisson again.

Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Care at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Garo A,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I always choose this hotel when staying in Toronto. I normally stay here for business but was in town to go to Wonderland with my son. The room was clean and spacious. We used the pool for the first time and that was also nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family