“Moldy rug”

Radisson Hotel Toronto East
Ranked #68 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We were concerned to stay in the room with a smelly and wet rug that covers the whole room. I placed my bare foot under the bed, it was wet. I again placed my foot on the rug, near the wall by the window, it was wet. My friend was taking a shower and realized, even with the shower curtain hanging up against the wall, the shower head is so poorly placed that the water spills out onto the rug just outside the bathroom door. This makes sense to me, however, it has been going for some time, in that the WHOLE rug in the entire room is wet. I informed the staff members at the desk and was informed the room will be dry vaced. This will only lessen the problem, not correct it. Should I again stay at a Radisson Hotel, I will ask to inspect the whole rug in the room before I accept.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels
CarlsonRezidor, Online Support Specialist at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room with regards to the wet carpet and rug. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel Toronto East

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Convenient to GTA, and free parking and Internet, I was pleased with the breakfast buffet and variety. Would stay again if an Hotel is needed when we travel toward Toronto. If you have a car it's easy to access and travel to any directions within Toronto.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

It has a pool, a gym, clean rooms, really comfortable beds, fridge and microwave and on top of all, excellent staff, it even has decent speed for the internet. What else could I ask for? The pool was a bit cold for me nut the gym was top notch.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 August 2014

I checked in on July 27th with a two night reservation. I checked out on the 29th and flew home. When I later asked the hotel for a bill, they had charged me for three nights, not two. I called the sales office, left a message and asked for it to be fixed. No response. I sent an email to RHI_TOEA@radisson.com (party that sent me invoice). No response.

I travel for a living, have stayed in 100s of hotels, and have never had this happen. At first, I assumed it was simply managerial incompetence. Now I must assume they are simply thieves.

A very simple record check would have shown that at no time did I extend my reservation. It would have also have shown that yes the maid cleaned the room on the 29th and it was vacant.

I will take this issue up with the better business bureau and Radisson corporate. The Radisson name has no place associated this "hotel". It's bad enough the hotel is lousy. (Highway adjacent is understatement). They didn't have to compound through fraud.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
RadissonToronto, Manager at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear DcWorldTraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience at the Radisson Hotel Toronto East.
Should your billing issue not have been resolved, please feel free to contact the hotel directly and someone would be more than happy to assist you with this matter.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The hotel was very clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. The washrooms could use updating. The bed was very comfortable and the room was very spacious with a couch and sitting area. It was walking distance to nice restaurants and coffee shops. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

From the moment we arrived in the hotel until the instant we checked out we experienced issue upon issue. First of all, my party arrived at 3:05pm. When I went to check us in the woman at the front desk said, “Well check in time is not until 3pm” and when I stated that it was past 3pm she said to me, “You will need to wait about 15 minutes because I don’t have any rooms available.” I was finally able to check in around 3:30pm. I was told that she had us wait because she saw that there were 3 rooms blocked together for myself, my parents, and my sister and that she wanted to keep us together because we stated the importance of it when we made the reservations. When I was checked in the woman at the front desk told me that she switched my room because it wasn’t ready and said she would do the same for the other 2 reservations. I also want to state that when I looked at the paper we were first given at check-in I noticed that the card they listed as on file for the room was neither the card I gave when I made the reservation nor was it the card we used at check-in. We updated the correct card but it was very disconcerting that somehow a random card appeared on our reservation and it worries me that the card I used to make the reservation with is floating around on someone else’s reservation because clearly someone else’s credit card was placed on mine. My family checked in a few hours after we did. Initially at check-in my sister was given a room on the 7th floor and my parents were on the 8th while my room was located on the 9th floor. The woman at the front desk clearly did not keep her promise that we were all going to be on the same floor. Additionally, both my parents and my sister had difficulty checking in. The front desk did not have my parents’ reservation, which they had just a few hours earlier, and when my mom gave her confirmation number there was a different name on that reservation and someone was checked into that room. Again, this raises the concern that reservations were not handled well and someone else checked into a room that had my mother’s credit card information on it. Then, my sister and her husband were checked into a room that was dirty and potentially occupied. They were then moved into a room on the 9th floor. I would also like to state that out of three elevators only one of them worked. One elevator was stuck on the 9th floor and another elevator would go up down to different floors but the doors would never open. At one point in time on Sunday the 10th they did open and I decided to wait until the only working elevator came because I was not in the mood to get stuck in a elevator. That night was one of the worst night’s sleeps I have ever had. First of all, there was a reunion at some sort going on in the hotel and a bunch of teenagers broke into the stairwell and accessed the roof. Being on the 9th floor, which is the top floor of the hotel, I heard them up there for at least an hour before the hotel staff took care of it. Furthermore, I have never slept on a mattress that hard before. It was like sleeping on a rock. I was never informed at check-in that the mattress was a sleep number bed and there was nothing in the room indicating that it was either. My sister accidentally found the remote to the bed the morning of the 10th and informed that it was a sleep number. No one in my entire party was made aware of this. My father was up in the middle of the night and went down to the front desk to complain to the manager about everything. There he was accused by on the employees that he was attempting to gain access to the employee computers to do who knows what. There was also no one at the front desk for 25 minutes to assist him. Our compensation for these “minor inconveniences” was free breakfast for our whole party that morning. The breakfast that was served is a travesty and insult to the word breakfast. The eggs were cold, the bacon was overcooked, the sausages were disgusting, and the beans were clumped together. Additionally, no one knew how to work the waffle maker and it continuously beeped throughout our entire meal. When my sister went to turn it so it would stop beeping the man who was using it yelled at her for touching his waffles. Furthermore, there was no syrup to go with the waffles! No syrup in Canada? That is absurd. We ended up going across the street to Starbucks to get something different. When we came back to the hotel the night of the 10th my boyfriend and I searched the room high and low for the remote control for the sleep number bed and I was unable to locate it. My boyfriend and I attempted to call the front desk for 15 minutes and there was no answer and the calls kept returning to a disconnected tone or the main menu. I then tried to go down to the front desk but after waiting 5 minutes for the elevator I decided to keep trying by phone. Finally someone picked up. About 10 minutes later a maintenance man knocked on my door and gave me a remote for the bed with no explanation on how to use it. Just handed it to me and left quicker than he came. When I tried to use it the remote read, “ERR.” After the trouble I had to get the first remote I ultimately decided that any attempt I would exert to get a new remote would be futile. That night I stole my boyfriend’s pillows while he was sleeping so I didn’t have to sleep on such a hard surface. My back hurt for 4 days after I checked out of the hotel. I was up early the next morning and went down to the front desk to complain. The woman I spoke to was very nice and gave me a total of $75 off of my entire stay. I had already received complimentary parking for having to wait so long to check in. My parents received $50 off their stay and my sister and her husband received no compensation. Honestly, the effort at the end was too little too late. It didn’t make up for the horrendous weekend we spent there and up until that moment no one seemed to care how miserable we were in their hotel. I worked in the hospitality industry for four years and I understand what it is like to be on the other side of the desk. Up until check out no one made a genuine effort to rectify our stay and we felt unwelcome and uncared for. I couldn’t wait to get out of that place. This stay was so terrible that I will never again stay at Radisson or any hotel associated with this brand.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels
RadissonToronto, Manager at Radisson Hotel Toronto East, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We take pride in our “Yes I Can!” culture and do apologize that you did not receive this level of service. We take the time to listen to your constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services.
We apologize for the experience and do hope that this experience will not deter you from staying with the Radisson Brand wherever your travels may take you.
We hope for another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Please reach out to any of our Management team directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I was looking forward to staying at this property and ended up being disappointed. The check-in gave me a room card that did not work and the Club Carlson Card was not activated in my name... The wi-fi was terrible, called for help and got no help or improvement. Stuck for three days with intermittent internet is not fun. Thought property would be spic and span and looking great. Not the case.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Radisson Hotels

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly.