“Budget Friendly Hotel”

Ranked #92 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Ithaca, New York
“Budget Friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My daughter and I spent the weekend at the Alexandra Hotel. It is not new or fancy, but it is clean, well equipped and the staff are friendly. The room had a single & double bed, small kitchenette with refrigerator & stove, table & chairs, a desk and good sized closet and nice bathroom. We are not inclined to spend much time in the room, but rather go out and explore the city. The location was great for that-close to Chinatown and Kensington Market and a lovely park next door. We found good food within easy walking distance. We mainly used the room for sleeping and showers. The beds were comfortable and the water was hot with good pressure. The only downside was the room got hot & stuffy at night even with thermostat turned down. We shed flannel PJ's for T-shirts and slept well.

Room Tip: Our room faced the parking lot but was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2012
Thanks for the honest review! We appreciate that you took the time to post this, and I hope you come again. I think the best thing about our location is that we are very close to places of interest but are off the main streets in a residential neighbourhood, so it's usually quiet. Glad to hear you slept well even with a bit of stuffiness. If you stay again you could always ask for a fan or a small space heater to help circulate the air!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City
Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Alexandra from 8/3 to 8/7. I requested an early check-in because we were driving from NYC after work and arrived at 4am. Michael at the front desk was very helpful and he had the early check-in note on file and there was a room available for us which was a blessing. As others have said, the rooms are simple but efficient with a small fridge, microwave, toaster and mini stove. The air conditioner worked wonderfully. The T.V. worked with no problems. The wifi was spotty, I brought it to the attention of the front desk and they were very attentive in getting the issue resolved. Even the coffee at the front desk was great. The linens and towels were very clean, no bedbugs here (yes, I inspected). The area is quiet, I didn't feel threatened on any streets at any given time of day or night. The shops in the area were great and the sole purpose of this trip was to party at Caribana so we really didn't stay in the room much. I did do laundry before we checked out and ironed clothes as well, everything worked with no problem. We slept well, it was quite peaceful. I'd stay here again, I don't need the big name hotel rooms to have a good time, besides, when you're in town to party, that's what you should do! We were in walking distance to Simcoe St. where our friend lives so that was a plus!
Kudos to the staff for being so pleasant and housekeeping for being so trustworthy. We left our iphone, iPad, money and canon T3i camera out and nothing went missing. Alexandra, you will see me again!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Joe M, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Michael will be glad to know he got a good mention on Tripadvisor!

Thanks for your review. I hope you enjoyed Caribana, and we hope to see you again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My friend and I stayed at the Alexandra Hotel for one week while visiting Toronto, and were not amazed by our stay but it was acceptable. The man working at the front desk didn't seem to care about his job or customers, which wasn't a huge deal for us because we're staying at the hotel for a place to sleep, not to spend a long time talking with someone who doesn't want to talk to us. The WiFi only wanted to work about half the time, which again, wasn't a huge deal but could be a concern to people who depend on it for work/school. The air conditioner hardly worked, but after tinkering with it for a couple minutes we were able to make it stop feeling like a sauna in our room. Room had a very odd smell to it, a combination of mold and weed (we stopped noticing it after a couple of days, so we got over it pretty quickly). We really enjoyed having the kitchenette, it had more to offer than we were expecting. Saved us quite a bit of money on food expenses.
The Alexandra Hotel is in a very convenient area. We very much enjoyed Kensington Market and everything it had to offer. I can definitely understand why some people might not feel safe at night, Spadina Avenue (which is near the hotel) is not the place to be at dark, we never felt entirely safe there. We would probably not stay here again, for the price we could have gone to a hotel that was closer to downtown.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review. We have been having problems with WiFi but are looking at solutions to improve service. Each room in the hotel also has a hard-wired connection and it is a much more stable connection. As for your issues with the room itself, don't hesitate to bring any complaints to the front desk, as we could have done some extra cleaning or simply found you a different room.

That stretch of Spadina Avenue (Chinatown) is a typical downtown street, and is usually busy with pedestrians day and night. We've never had any guests complain of problems along that stretch, just FYI!
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The place is located just next to chinatown, 20 mins walking away from the city center.
The hotel in general looks quite old, the rooms are clean and simple, nothing incredible.
Service was good and the clerk was nice and friendly.
It looks over Alexandra park, which can get noisy in the evening/morning with all the people playing sports and dancing.

Overall is a good hotel, but a bit pricey, for the same price you could probably go somewhere closer to the city center.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for the review. I'm glad you found the service good and the rooms clean. There are many decent hotels in Toronto, and prices vary with the season, so it never hurts to shop around.
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was my mine and my dad's first trip to Toronto (my dad's first trip out of Europe) and we were very pleased with our room. The view was awesome, we could see the CN Tower from our window which was great for me as I did the Edgewalk - I could even see the hotel from the tower lol. The kitchen was basic but good and saved us a lot of money on breakfasts. Beds were comfy and shower was great. Wardrobes were nice and roomy too.

We had a slight problem with the fridge in that it kept making a lot of noise and shuddering but we found that by turning down the temp overnight it kept quiet. Also the air con was loud and didn't seem to do much to cool the room down but we think the heat may have just been too much for it. We left our window open and this worked well, the cover over the window to stop bugs getting in was great.

The person on reception when we arrived was very cheerful and chatty and we felt very welcome. Again when leaving although he was quieter he was also pleasant and let us leave our bags for a couple of hours after checking out.

The location is excellent, 20 mins walk to St Patrick station through Chinatown which we did everyday. Chinatown itself is a great place, everybody is nice and there are some really good souvenir shops and restaurants. It felt very safe the whole time we were there, even after coming back from a concert late one night - we had no worries.

Overall a great place to stay and if I returned to Toronto I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 609 has a great view of the CN Tower
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Thank you for posting such a nice review. I am very glad you both enjoyed your first trip to the city. There's lots to see and do here! I hope you stay with us again, and if you ever have any maintenance issues in one of our rooms, don't hesitate to contact the Front Desk for assistance.
Yellowknife NWT Canada
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Two of us stayed here for 3 nights in June. Not fancy....it's a former student residence for the University of Toronto....but functional. Even has a tiny kitchenette. Interesting neighbourhood...on the borders of Kensington Market, China Town and Little Italy....offers a bit of everything. Close to the streetcars and within walking distance of many of Toronto's most interesting sites. Friendly staff too. A good budget pick.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Alexandra Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Thanks for posting your review. I'm glad your stay was satisfactory! The Alexandra Hotel was never a student residence, but it is a somewhat unusual downtown hotel because we're able to accommodate long-term stays thanks to the kitchenettes and laundry facilities.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 16 June 2012

If you're looking for a clean, quiet room in a decent hotel in downtown Toronto, within easy walking distance of frequent public transit, with a functioning kitchen, all at a cheap price, this is the place to stay. I spent three nights there this month, having driven up to Toronto (the hotel has ample parking and was easy to get to from the Gardiner Expressway) for a long weekend, and will be staying there again for almost a week this July. As a practically-minded traveler, not looking for or needing fancy trimmings, just wanting everything to be functional, the Alexandra was perfect.

This is not a flashy, fancy, lots of frills kind of place, but for its price you shouldn't be expecting that. The rooms are basic, but they're practical and clean, and everything in my room worked. There was plenty of desk space; the internet access worked flawlessly (I used both wired and wireless); the kitchenette had a small fridge (slightly larger than a normal hotel bar-fridge) with a freezer space, a two-burner stove, a microwave, and a random assortment of cutlery, plates, bowls, glasses, and an old-fashioned tea kettle; the building was very quiet despite the hotel being mostly full during my stay; the bed was comfortable; and the air conditioning worked.

The hotel is between Dundas St. and Queen St., both of which have a streetcar line that as far as I know runs 24-hours a day. To get to Dundas St. you walk between a park and a school; that was usually the direction I went and the park was always busy with people getting exercise or just playing on the grass, and there was occasionally a softball game going on. I made frequent use of the streetcar line, which runs every 10 minutes or so, and have no complaints for it.

There's a Loblaws supermarket maybe 5 minutes away on foot on Queen St, just next to the intersection with Ryerson Ave (the street the hotel is on), so stocking the kitchenette couldn't be easier.

The house staff were courteous and pleasant to deal with. I can't speak to their ability to provide assistance for directions, recommendations, and such, because I didn't ask for any.

This hotel gets 5 stars because there was nothing about my room, the hotel, or the staff, that I had an issue with. If you want a clean, quiet space to sleep, with the advantage of a kitchenette, and you don't need the modern trimmings expected in a name-brand hotel, you can't go wrong with the Alexandra.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Wow, what a detailed review! Thanks so much for the positive feedback, and I hope you stay with us again.