“The Toronto Symphony Orchestra has never been better.”
Review of Roy Thomson Hall

and up
Toronto Downtown Private Walking Tour
Ranked #88 of 529 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: This curved glass structure, a downtown architectural landmark, is a well-known concert hall.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

With overseas visitors in town we enjoyed a great concert at the architecturally interesting Roy Thomson Hall. The Toronto Symphony Orchestra conducted by Peter Oundjian is at present in top form. Give them your support and enjoy the now quite fine acoustics of this outstanding hall.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Never mind that when I asked for accessible seating and found out that I had to climb a flight of stairs, they told me it is accessible - only one flight of stairs to climb.

Went to see Aretha Franklin and I could not figure out what she was singing, no matter how hard I tried. It was my first time in Roy Thomson, and I was shocked. I expected that the halll out be beautiful and that I would hear. The hall is beautiful. You can see the stage clearly from everywhere, but the acoustics are not great.

Even with the renovation to try to deal with the issues, unless you are seated right in the middle of the orchestra section you will have a hard time.

Now I know why artists prefer Massey Hall and so do I.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hall was belt sometime in the 80's and it looks like it. I find the acoustics here somewhat problematic for symphony concerts compared to many other concert halls around the world. In particular, I find that the instruments do not blend well...if you're close to the timpani, you'll here the timpani.

The positive side is that the hall is a nice modest size and sightlines are generally quite good. You won't feel far away even in the upper balcony.

A TIP: The best place to sit is the center mezzanine.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

For someone coming from the 'burbs, driving downtown is daunting. But the Roy Thompson Hall is pretty conveniently located, with ample street (meter) parking all around it, as well as underground parking. There are lots of restaurants around it, so you can easily do a dinner and a show.
The hall itself is pretty small so you really can't get a bad seat if you stick to the main floor. We've usually sat in the floor rear center which gives a perfect view of the stage. The acoustics in this hall are flawless. Great sound, no matter where you sit.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Plenty of parking. The acoustics in the hall have to be heard to be believed. Literally, there is not a bad chair in the house - and the chairs are comfortable. The only complaint is that it takes an inordinate amount of time to get out of the venue.