“Disappointed” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Private Toronto Guided City Tour
Ranked #74 of 500 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Owner description: This curved glass structure, a downtown architectural landmark, is a well-known concert hall.
Ontario
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Considering the age of this building, I expected better acoustics. Unfortunately the instrumental section drowned the singers. In addition I was quite surprised at the end of the show when an individual had to use the restroom while waiting for a group who went backstage to meet the performers. The security guard wouldn't let her use the facilities. This was quite unprofessional and does not give tourists a positive experience. The money could have been better spent viewing local theater groups.

Visited June 2014

Lincoln
187 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 241 helpful votes
“Do take in a concert in this lovely hall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Being in Toronto on holiday, I happened to see there was a classical concert by the Toronto Symphony Orchestra when I was there. I bought my ticket on the day for $69 - balcony, middle of the front row. You can also buy a 'rush' ticket? on the day for $25 although the seats aren't as good but for a concert of Shostakovich and Beethoven this is good value.

The modern concert hall is well situated near two subway stations and streetcar stops. I like the ambience of the complex - spacious surroundings and importantly plenty of bars. Escalators up to the balcony seating area. I had a glass of Canadian (Niagara) chardonnay for $8.50. The programmes are free but did not exclusively cover this concert.

A modern auditorium in which I felt comfortable - literally - the seats were good. I had no problems with the acoustics although personally I wouldn't have minded some ear muffs to protect me from the Shostakovich violin concerto. I didn't enjoy it at all but that is no reflection on the TSO or the soloist - both were rapturously received by the audience so it must be me.

Fortified by another glass of chardonnay in the interval, the Beethoven Pastoral symphony in the second half was absolutely fantastic and a real joy to listen for c. 40 minutes - what a contrast. I cannot think when I have enjoyed a piece so much and I left on 'a high'.

If you are a culture vulture visitor to Toronto do try and take in a concert here and if you have time visit the wonderful old St Andrews church opposite.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Andrew B
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The Toronto Symphony Orchestra has never been better.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

With overseas visitors in town we enjoyed a great concert at the architecturally interesting Roy Thomson Hall. The Toronto Symphony Orchestra conducted by Peter Oundjian is at present in top form. Give them your support and enjoy the now quite fine acoustics of this outstanding hall.

Visited June 2014
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Unless you are in the centre mezzanine the acoustics are aweful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Never mind that when I asked for accessible seating and found out that I had to climb a flight of stairs, they told me it is accessible - only one flight of stairs to climb.

Went to see Aretha Franklin and I could not figure out what she was singing, no matter how hard I tried. It was my first time in Roy Thomson, and I was shocked. I expected that the halll out be beautiful and that I would hear. The hall is beautiful. You can see the stage clearly from everywhere, but the acoustics are not great.

Even with the renovation to try to deal with the issues, unless you are seated right in the middle of the orchestra section you will have a hard time.

Now I know why artists prefer Massey Hall and so do I.

Visited April 2014
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fairly average acoustics”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hall was belt sometime in the 80's and it looks like it. I find the acoustics here somewhat problematic for symphony concerts compared to many other concert halls around the world. In particular, I find that the instruments do not blend well...if you're close to the timpani, you'll here the timpani.

The positive side is that the hall is a nice modest size and sightlines are generally quite good. You won't feel far away even in the upper balcony.

A TIP: The best place to sit is the center mezzanine.

Visited April 2014