“Orphans of the Ice Storm”

Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville Hotel
Ranked #36 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Orphans of the Ice Storm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel was a home away from home at a very difficult time for us. Staff welcomed us with our dog and cossetted us all along the way. We had to stay 7 nights because there was no power in our house. If I hadn't been so worried about our house, I would have had a great time; the food was good, rooms very comfortable with terrific beds, the location is great and the staff hard working and friendly. We were so busy checking up with Hydro about getting power that we didn't try the pool or spa; we should have but...that's for next time.

I've never reviewed an hotel before but I'm so thankful for everything this one did for us in our hour of need that I want to thank its staff.

Room Tip: Our room looked onto the courtyard to the north and was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Greek first
erie, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel had fabulous service. Upon check in they offered us a
Free upgrade to the concierge floor. Our room was a king and very clean. Nice products in the bathroom, big room, clean. Front desk was more than helpful when we needed directions etc. Parking for hotel is expensive but there is a parking garage for Hudson's bay company department store connected to the hotel that is only $15 a day on weekends. Also there is a subway connected to the hotel so you don't even have to walk outside. It also connects to some shops and Hudson's bay dept store. Offer breakfast options but not free continental so we went out for
Breakfast. Overall this hotel stay was good and the service made it
Great!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed for two nights on business in Nov. 2013. The hotel is in a convenient location and offers good-sized, clean rooms. Though I wasn't actually paying for it, the $189 a night with free WiFi deal our group was given was quite reasonable (it appears that you normally have to pay daily for WiFi). A business centre in the lobby also provides 30 minutes of free net access and free boarding pass printing.

I didn't try the restaurant or room service, but there are plenty of dining options at all price levels in the area.

The room was spacious with a comfortable king-sized bed. The bathroom seemed recently updated and the shower was just fine.

Overall, a very positive stay with no complaints.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank needadecentmeal
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

When we arrived around 1 pm, check in was overall OK. Tamara told us she had room for us with double beds and extra towels as requested in internet reservation. When I inquired about upgrade for gold members she said we will need to pay $60, which is odd as the actual principle is that you get it complimentary subject to availability. Then she said suites have only one bed. Well in this situation you can recline sofa bed or have rollaway bed for the child as we were offered many times before but I just did not bother insisting. Hotel was very quiet so they definitely had higher standard rooms they could have given us. Tamara was however very helpful with all other things, including extending check out for 1.5hrs to fit our onwards travel plans. Another reception team member called Michael was also very nice and even helped us with the luggage to the car. House keeping lady was lovely when we requested toiletries for another person (we initially had just 1 bottle of shower gel for family of three). Soon the gentleman arrived with extra towels and was happy to give us bathrobes as well. Breakfast staff was absolutely lovely and nothing was too much for them. There is omlet station with also nice man preparing it. They had cooked tortillas next to scrambled eggs, I have never seen it in European Marriotts! Hotel room was very clean, bathroom with dark wooden shelves felt cosy. It was truly quiet, facing inner part of the hotel, we were on 3rd floor. Sleeping after jet lag was easy. My only complain would be that room was small, much smaller than the one with two double beds in Courtyard Toronto. However this hotel is much cleaner and well worth paying more. Location is perfect, next door to subway station to go to attractions like CN tower. Premium shopping is walking distance. We would definitely return because of pleasant staff and cleanness.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

In point forms :)

Location:
- is great!
-Located in the heart of the city with subway station there
-Parking is questionable. They didn't clear the snow and ice that was there and cars were sliding all over the place trying to look for parking

Staff:

-View was not bad
-Was very dusty

Out of the norms:
- Building evacuated at around 1am
-No staff guidance or direction
-Even when building was evacuated there were many people in back and side entrances not knowing what to do
-They should develop a better procedure & The alarm was just outside of the room, not inside, no telephone call with automated call to "evacuate"

-People were told to contact manager in the morning... Seriously pissed and unhappy about the entire experience. Did not appreciate being woken up at 1am to go down over 6 flights of stairs and then told it was a false alarm... after going from parking garage "emergency exit" to walk outside to goto lobby to see what happened.

Room Tip: -Make sure your air vent is working, we couldn't change the temperature or turn the fan on -Mak...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

The location here is the very best. I couldn't have chosen a more accessible place to stay for all my needs and have the best services at the same time. The room and TV were excellent and easy to use and locate what ever you want to view. Getting off was really easy from the cabs and limos --right into the lobby and no stairs or elevators to start with . The beds and mattresses gave me the best sleep I have had in years ; even though I have an excellent hospital-type bed at home with a vibrator. Carlo Nalli (Group Coordinator) gave me the best help one could ever want in customer service. I have been most pleased with every thing and I highly recommend it to you fellow travelers and my friends on Facebook. I didn't see any cats here (I have 3 at home) and I miss them. After finding out that Pets are welcome here I have decided that on returning on my next visit I will bring one or two or maybe the three of them.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank pathmacdonald
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Located at the corner of Bloor and Yonge, right next to the subway, the hotel is excellently located, and the price was very good at $127 a night. The room and bathroom were basic but spacious enough, and the staff, both at the front desk and in housekeeping, were eager to please. We were very pleased that they were able to accommodate us for an early check-in at noon. Our one complaint was the bed, which was not firm enough (time to change the mattress), but otherwise our stay was very satisfactory.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends