“Great, central location!”

Ranked #36 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
New Liskeard
“Great, central location!”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at the Marriott. The room was spacious and clean... the bathroom was modern... big television... safe in the room for valuables. We were thankful to be able to check in early, after a very long drive. Seniors should be prepared for lots of walking in this hotel... the rooms are quite far from the elevators and it was a long hike to get ice! Many complain about the charge for wi-fi, but my husband was able to connect in our room for free. There is valet parking available, but if you use the mall parking from the same entrance, it is much cheaper!! This hotel is central to high-end shopping, lots of pubs and restaurants, as well as the university and museum. We found a wonderful little breakfast place, one block west of the hotel. Front desk staff were friendly and check-out was fast. We would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank LandraNewLiskeard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My wife and I booked a stay in a hotel nearby the Toronto Marriott Bloor Yorkville, and it turned out to be inadequate, to put it mildly. We are the antithesis of fussy hotel guests, but the place we were in was literally filthy and in a truly sorry state. So there we were, at nine a.m. on New Year's Day morning, and my wife, the least persnickety person I know when it comes to the vicissitudes of travel, says to me, "I need to get out of here."

I called the Bloor Yorkville and booked a room. I also explained our situation, and asked if there was any way we could check in immediately. The kindly woman with whom I spoke explained that, given last night's New Years's Eve celebrations, not a single room was vacant that early in the morning, but that she would put us on priority check-in status and do her very best to make things happen. In response to the dirtiness of the room we were vacating, she offered to let us use the showers in the fitness center right away in case we didn't want to shower in the unpleasant hotel we were about to leave.

We moved our luggage over and stowed it, and went to get breakfast and do some morning sightseeing. Around eleven, I received a phone call: our room was ready, and we could check in whenever we liked (normal check-in is three p.m.). We headed back and retrieved our luggage; unfortunately, we had no small coins or bills with which to tip the bellman, so we resolved to do so later.

The room itself was lovely: spacious, modern, comfortable, and CLEAN. We were immediately at ease, and greatly relieved. My wife got some change and (unbeknownst to me) tipped the bellman, and we went out again to hit the nearby Royal Ontario Museum. When we got back to our room, though, we were puzzled: several of our unpacked possessions had been gathered up and placed (gently) in a shopping bag. The bag itself had been left on the dresser next to the television. Nothing at all was missing, but we were somewhat disconcerted.

I called the front desk and explained, and I was placed in immediate contact with the manager. She was aware of the situation, and explained that a woman had approached the bellman, given him a tip, told him our room number, and explained to him that she needed help with packing her luggage. The bellman had come up, found no one in the room, and been confused himself, but, having received a tip, decided he should at least help by collecting loose things and putting them into a bag all together. He then left, though, not wanting to remove possessions from the room without explicit permission.

The manager and I both assumed that someone from a different room had indeed asked for help, and given our room number instead of her own by mistake. The manager apologized copiously and sincerely, although I assured her repeatedly that nothing was wrong; we had just wanted to know what had happened. I got off the phone and relayed the explanation to my wife, who immediately figured it out. The bellman had thought the tip was for a future request for assistance, not a previous one, and had tried his best to help. (He actually tried to return the tip, the manager told me, because after gathering our things up in the room, he couldn't carry them downstairs, and so felt he didn't deserve financial compensation.)

I called the manager again, thinking she'd like to know that there was a rational explanation for the mixup, and she continued to apologize. I assured her we were fine and happy, and that I'd just wanted her to know the true story, which in honesty I thought was funny and kind of sweet. I got off the phone, and we relaxed in our very comfortable room.

A half hour later, there was a knock on the door, and a server brought in a tray with two small bottles of sparkling wine and a plate of chocolate truffles, fresh strawberries, and dried pineapple--the manager's way of making amends for what had never been the hotel's error in the first place. We felt a little bad that *she* felt bad unnecessarily, but we drank the wine and ate the chocolates anyway.

I tell this story at length because it is representative of the degree of attentiveness and courtesy with which we were treated during our three-day stay at the Bloor Yorkville. Everyone was aware, thoughtful, and responsive; we could not have made a happier switch, and when we return to Toronto, we will book with the Bloor Yorkville right from the get-go. I know we will be in excellent hands.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Very basic hotel with zero amenities. This is a very dated looking hotel. The rooms are dated and very basic. There is no pool, you have to pay for wi-fi, but the employees are quite friendly. For the price, look elsewhere.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

The day after Toronto's devastating ice storm, we checked into the hotel little expecting to be there for the next 8 days. From the moment we arrived, along with others who quickly filled the hotel, the staff were fantastic. They swiftly got us settled in our room where we had a delicious meal. Everyone in the hotel was extremely kind, even though some of them were without homes because of the ice storm. The housekeepers always had a smile on their faces and told us how sorry they were that we were homeless (for the 8 days.) The servers, too, were great, with special mention going to Alix, a Colombian new Canadian who had only good things to say about Canada and its sometimes brutal weather. And she was more than efficient every day. Last word goes to the front desk staff who greeted me in a most friendly way every time I took our dog for a walk.We have since told many of our neighbours, similarly homeless until power was restored, how great this hotel is. We never knew until an ice storm took us to its doors. Sounds like a Christmas parable, and well it might be.

Room Tip: I do not think they need worry about this. Every room we visited was good.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The staff at the Marriott Bloor Yorkville treated us like royalty. We were immediately impressed upon check-in on how great the customer service is at this hotel. The staff greets you by name after the first interaction. The rooms are spacious and large. Our suite (upgraded as a Platinum member) was as large as a 1 bedroom city apartment with a walk-in closet and a separate living room. The complimentary arrival gift and buffet breakfast was also a treat. We will definitely stay at this Marriott the next time we are in Toronto.

Room Tip: The king suites are really spacious.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel was a home away from home at a very difficult time for us. Staff welcomed us with our dog and cossetted us all along the way. We had to stay 7 nights because there was no power in our house. If I hadn't been so worried about our house, I would have had a great time; the food was good, rooms very comfortable with terrific beds, the location is great and the staff hard working and friendly. We were so busy checking up with Hydro about getting power that we didn't try the pool or spa; we should have but...that's for next time.

I've never reviewed an hotel before but I'm so thankful for everything this one did for us in our hour of need that I want to thank its staff.

Room Tip: Our room looked onto the courtyard to the north and was very quiet.
erie, pa
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel had fabulous service. Upon check in they offered us a
Free upgrade to the concierge floor. Our room was a king and very clean. Nice products in the bathroom, big room, clean. Front desk was more than helpful when we needed directions etc. Parking for hotel is expensive but there is a parking garage for Hudson's bay company department store connected to the hotel that is only $15 a day on weekends. Also there is a subway connected to the hotel so you don't even have to walk outside. It also connects to some shops and Hudson's bay dept store. Offer breakfast options but not free continental so we went out for
Breakfast. Overall this hotel stay was good and the service made it
Great!