“Ideal for a night or two if you're on a budget, right by Dundas Square”

Neill-Wycik Backpackers Hotel
Montreal, Canada
“Ideal for a night or two if you're on a budget, right by Dundas Square”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Ok so I read a lot of comments that could've made me rethink my choice but we were on a budget, we only need a place to spend one night and we needed to be downtown Toronto.

It turned out to be perfect. Nothing luxurious, it's a dorm! You get a coupon for free breakfast (you can pick 4 items of the choices offered: bagel, croissant, yogurt, juice, milk etc. fair amount of choices) and I got the parking for 10$ a night, which turned out to be perfect as well since we walked around and didn't need the car.

One negative point: I did find a hair that wasn't mine on the bed in my room (there was two twin beds and not much space to walk around) but you can ask for clean linen at the front desk and they'll give them to you no problem. Bring your own towels and since they offer shared bathrooms, bring flip flops to take your shower (tub isn't super clean)

You can also go to the 22nd floor there's a terrace and a barbecue, with a nice view of the city.

If you can afford a hotel, good for you - if you're on a budget, and only staying a couple nights, this one is just as fine!

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Leoben, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

If you want to experience how Canadian students live - have to live - than stay here. it's a big complex building, staff is amazingly friendly and helpful. check out the rooftop terrace! they have parking lots as well. WiFi is not included - 4 $Cad per 24 hours

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Viktoria U
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

The worst experience of my life. The place is very dirty. I had a reservation for one month, but I stayed for few days.
I gave up staying there when I saw a rat inside my room. I Wish I had never been there...

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Renata d

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had 2 days in Toronto after a lovely trip to Vancouver so I booked some budget accomodation to save a few pennies. When I arrived the staff were very informative (if a bit militant) and they gave me details of my room/breakfast/wi-fi etc.
The rooms itself was very small, a hard bed and a pillow which was about as soft as a breeze block. The bathrooms were basic but clean.
I was impresssed with the breakfast and a choice of 4 items from cereals, yoghurts, croissants etc. which is why I have given this an 'average' rating.

Room Tip: If it's in the summer bring a fan as the rooms get warm! They're also a bit noisy at times s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Purcellville, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I wouldn't stay there again.
I stayed in the 22nd floor and the A/C didn't worked and it was really really hot in the room.
Also my bed wasn't really clean there were hairs on my pillow and I didn't feel comfortable with that.

What i can say is that the breakfast is pretty good and I liked it that the reception is 24h open :)
Also the location was pretty good :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

stayed there for 3 nights during world pride (late June). The location is really central. its only a 5 minute walk to the gay village, and 10 minute walk to Dundas square (the main square in Toronto). The room itself was high up on the 16th floor, with excellent views of downtown! The room itself was very average. Nothing to rave about. But I didn't expect too much. We stayed in a two bed room with shared bathroom. The bathrooms was in ok condition. The hallways were a little dirty. You get a free breakfast, and have a choice of 4 options for breakfast (the options include coffee). so chose right so you don't get hungry again quickly! lol. I chose 2 bagels, yogurt and coffee, and this lasted me until lunch. Bit pricey at $40/bed though. Staff were nice and friendly (some of them were easy on the eye...). Would stay here again. Best thing about it is the location and free breakfast!

Room Tip: The 22nd floor is where you get free wifi, otherwise you will need to pay for wifi in your room. So...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Graz, Austria
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

The location is excellent but the whole building is a little run down. It's a student residence and no hotel. Cleanliness could be better. WiFi only free on 22nd floor, otherwise it's 4 CAD per day or 10 CAD per week. Breakfast is ok, but you can only select 4 items (e.g., coffee, bagel, cornflakes, banana)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo