“Good location nice people”

Ryerson Student Residence
Ranked #92 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Ohio
“Good location nice people”
Reviewed 15 June 2013

The location is close enough to walk to some destinations and only a few blocks from eaton centre and the subway. Rooms are small and old, but clean. There are full kitchens on each floor with fridge, sink, microwave, and stove, but NO pots and pans. Save some big money by bringing and old pan and a few forks and spoons and shop at the very nice metro grocery that is right out the back door. After spending 60 + dollars to eat every night for 4 people, it would have been nice to just eat in once in a while.
Breakfast was part of our stay and it was the exact same thing every day. Sorta wet scrambled eggs, limp bacon, hash brown triangles, sausage links were hot. They had cold cereal, juice, yogurt that was unsweetened and toast. Got old after a few days. Quality was ok.
The desk people are terrific and made the stay enjoyable.
The small tv in the room has no remote and few channels, just saying.
Overall the price made the stay more attractive, but the I,d hotel needs some updates for sure.

Room Tip: No pool at this facility
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank erchphs

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Pittman Hall residence. It was a 4-room unit with a shared bathroom. Since it was the summer they were in the middle of painting and the fumes mixed with the embedded stale smell of greasy student cooking was very unpleasant. The mattress was thin - imagine a worn 2" thick foam camping mattress wrapped in vinyl and that pretty much sums it up. There was a lot of noise from the courtyard until late at night which also made sleeping difficult even with earplugs. The sheets, blankets, and pillows provided are very thin.

I was traveling with a group so it was good price for the number of people. But for a business trip it wasn't ideal. The one good feature was the washer and dryer which I did use, just buy a card from the front desk. The staff were friendly and helpful with directions to amenities in the area.

You are essentially staying in a hostel - although I have stayed at hostels that are much nicer than this. For a leisure trip or traveling with a family where you want cooking facilities it may be worth considering if you can get a good price, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank greatslave
Dearborn, Michigan
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We spent three nights at the ILLC. The room was small but clean and the staff was very friendly. We were able to park our car in the building garage for an extra $13 a night. The location was excellent, a few blocks from Dundas Square. It's not fancy but it is a great value for downtown Toronto.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
portlaoise
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We just arrived home after a fantastic trip to Toronto. My family of 2 adults and 2 kids, along with a friends family of the same stayed at the ILLC. Each family had a room with a pullout sofa bed, which were not as uncomfortable for me, or the kids, as others had mentioned- a sound nights sleep for the one or two nights I was in it. The room itself was smallish but was laid out efficiently to store the far too many clothes that were brought, bathroom was perfect with nice shower to cool down after a day in the Toronto heat. Each floor had a common room with a few sofas and a kitchen area, where we cooked on a couple of occasions and got pizza pizza in on another. The air conditioning wasn't working properly here, but sweating was probably our own fault for not mentioning it to staff until checking out.
Staff were very friendly and courteous. One girl behind the desk helped me connect my android device to the free wi-fi network on the ground floor (also available in the common room)
Breakfast was very good, orange juice, choice of 3 cereals, fruit, yoghurt, toast, hash brown, scrambled egg, bacon and sausages.
Finally, as everyone else has mentioned, we were able to walk to loads of Toronto attractions from here and 24 hour shop out front on Jarvis and an even bigger one out the back on Mutual meant that we were never short of necessities.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank niall c
London, Ontario
Reviewed 3 July 2012

There are two very different locations - I've stayed at both for different reasons

Pitman Hall 160 Mutual St - single room with a single bed and a desk - no restroom/bathroom in your room. Shared bathroom and shared private shower/tub. The mattress is very basic and very hard, not the most comfortable. They have extremely restrictive rules about having visitors to your room, and no one permitted past 11pm into your room. Breakfast is basic but ok. Location and price is fantastic - a couple of blocks east of the Eaton Centre is the primary attraction to this location.

International Living Centre 240 Jarvis St - Queen Sized Bed - some include sofabed(which is useless since the mattress is worse then Pitman hall - I couldn't sleep on the mattress without having pain throughout my body. I had to sleep on the cushions from the sofa bed on the mattress which was challenging) I mentioned it to the front desk at checkout, and the young woman laughed at me. The room is better then Pitman Hall, includes private bathroom/restroom with shower. Still with restrictive access at night though, no guest access after 11pm. Breakfast is good. There is a TV in these room.

Both have common rooms with a TV, fridge and stove.

If you find a hotel at a similar price and location, I would recommend to choose the hotel over either of these locations as the reduced flexibility and improved customer service would be a better experience for most.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank JoeMCanada
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2011

we stayed at the residence for 3 weeks for a study tour. The hotel was quite pricey it was like paying for a 5 star hotel. The staff were lovely and accommodating and so were the cleaners. but our room was quite disappointing, the rooms had a stench, our room had a toilet that always smelt like urine. Cleaners would cover up the stench with a deodorizer but comes back after a few hours. The location is brilliant, close to Eaton centre and the CBD. overall it didn't affect our stay, just a few minor flaws. We stayed a year ago, so things could be different

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed with my brother for 4 nights here. The room was certainly bigger than I expected, but I've never been in a dorm before.

The room wasn't sparkling clean, we even found an open bag of nacho chips in one of the cupboard (but by the looks of it they'd only been there a day or two at most). That didn't really bother me, as there were no bugs or stains in sight. There was some noise from some kind of construction/renovation happening on the floor above, but it always started late in the morning and stopped early in the evening.

My only real problem was that although they'll advertise that they have rooms for multiple occupants, they only allow 1 key per room, and as my brother and I were doing our own separate things all day, I had to hold onto the key and run back when he needed to get into the room. Another little thing is that while they did have a decent sized closet, they didn't include any hangers, not even a couple cheap wire ones. Also, while not a real problem, I was a bit annoyed that they only had one internet outlet, and it was in the bedroom, not the living room that had a proper desk.

The continental breakfast was okay I guess, but every time I went they had all jelly and no peanut butter, and the one time they did, the toaster stopped working, so I couldn't thaw the partially frozen bread. The fruit was fresh tough, along with the juice and pastries.

Overall, the room itself wasn't bad, it was mostly the 1-key-per-room thing that really bugged me. Due the the location and price, I'd still come here again, but maybe with a travel buddy rather than just someone to split the bill with.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends