“Great Hotel, Friendly Staff”

Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites
Ranked #73 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel during the ice storm since my apartment had no power. The hotel did not have any power either. The service my family received from the staff was incredibly. They did try to find us another hotel but due to the location we did not want to move anywhere else, even if it had power. The hotel had done everything in their power to make us feel comfortable. This is our second visit and we would come back again anytime!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Sadly my experience was not great. The room that I stayed in was their standard double bed room. On their website they advertise that they are an urban resort, the photos of the rooms look luxurious and modern. The reality is that Motel 6 rooms looked better than the room I stayed, which I paid $200 for.
What I found really upsetting was I was treated differently then the older customers at the time of check in and check out. Granted it was New Years and I know some people my age, mid twenties, have been reckless on New Years. I was treated like a teenager, they asked for a cash deposit for the room before my stay. At check out, I was asked to wait 20 minutes while the manager reviewed my hotel room to see if any damage had been done, there was no damage and I got my deposit back. However, while waiting the 20 minutes, older customers checked out within seconds. They did not have to pay a deposit, nor did the manager check their rooms.
You have to pay for parking, which is not stated when you book. Most Toronto hotels do this, but Don Valley is hardly Toronto.
The elevators take an extremely long time for only 5 floors, to the point where people were getting frustrated and taking the stairs.
The only reason I stayed at this hotel was not to party on New Years, it was actually to bring in the new years with a friend at the hospital who got into a life altering accident. For a night that was supposed to be special, It was fairly upsetting to be treated so poorly by the staff

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank SarahKymberlee
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed here due to the Ice Storm in Toronto. We stayed at the Marriott downstown for 1 night and thought we would have power by Christmas Day but nope. We just needed a warm place to stay and Toronto Don Valley was close to where we live. We paid approx $120 for a room. If I was a tourist I would not stay here. It is FAR from downtown and attractions. And public transportation is not reliable in Toronto (at least I don't think so).

My thoughts on this place:
Room was clean and spacious. We had a king size bed and there was plenty of space in the room.
The bathroom was tiny and needed renovations. There was dark grout on the bathroom tiles. One time, the toilet bowl didn't fill up and you can hear the water trying to fill up. We fixed this ourselves (just too much trouble to call someone) but you shouldn't have to do anyting if the toilet was working properly in the first place.
The elevator is SLOW. There are only 2 elevators and there was at least 10 people ahead of us who were waiting for the elevator.
The Wi-fi is horrible. Only got 1 bar on my phone the whole time we were in our room. If we went to the lobby, wi-fi strength was better.
I never make comments about service as it is all objective but the front desk guy was a grinch. Considering it was Christmas Day, would it kill him to put a smile on his face??!? I asked if I could use earn Aeroplan points and he said "no, you booked through expedia and you get points through their reward program. You would be getting double the reward points!". OK, just asking and I didn't even know Expedia has a reward program.

Overall, we just needed a warm place to stay. If I was a tourist I would not stay here. Just not an ideal location. If for business, I would imagine that you can find a better place with better wi-fi for cheaper. It is an average place. Don't expect too much.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of a hall way away from the elevators and traffic.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JOS1898
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have been coming to this hotel every week for the last couple of months. For the most part the staff are friendly and the hotel is clean. I would rate this hotel as a 3 star. I was booked to stay at the hotel December 23, 2013. I tried calling the hotel several times, but no one answered the phone. I searched the internet to try to find an alternative phone number. I ended up at the Sterling Hotel Chain's website. I spoke to an operator who told me the hotel had no power due to the ice storm. I then asked why someone didn't inform me they would be unable to accommodate my stay? I received an apology but no explanation for their poor service. The hotel had lost its power 2 days before my stay. The time was now after 5pm and I had no hotel accommodations. It took me over 2 hours to find a hotel room in Toronto. All hotels I called that did not have power answered their phones and informed me they were unable to accommodate my stay (example the Westin Prince Hotel and Novatel). I will be cancelling my corporate account with this hotel when they finally answer their phone, and staying with a more dependable hotel in the area (Westin Prince Hotel). To say I am disappointed with this hotel is an understatement. Sincerely David S

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank David777999
kevipor, General Manager at Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear David,

I would like to thank you for your review and for expressing your concerns. The hotel unfortunately was out of poser for 71 hours from Saturday Dec 22nd through to Tuesday night December 24th. This power outage left the hotel crippled without heat, lights, phone or internet services. Although we did have a cellphone and did our best to reach out to guest there were many cases where guest did not give us a phone number with their reservation or did not answer or have voicemail on their end. Our team worked day and night for these 71hrs and beyond to take care of guest and I am confident that they did everything within their means to be able to take care of guest in this difficult time as many of them had no heat, lights or phone in their own homes.
I trust you take this tragedy as simple that a tragedy and that we have the opportunity to be of service to you in the future. I would also like to point out that the Westin Prince was also closed during this period and dealing with the same challenges. Warmest Regards,
Kevin Porter

Reviewed 14 December 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and I felt that the hotel was an excellent value. The room was large and clean and the bed was very comfortable. The heated bathroom floor and the Keurig were nice touches. There are certainly things that could be upgraded but it met our needs quite nicely. The breakfast buffet was excellent and Connie and Eva were wonderful servers. They are attentive, friendly and very pleasant. A definite asset to the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 653.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Book this hotel last minute with the "Hotel Tonight" app, got it for $83. Was impressed by the entrance and the lobby when I got there, looked very nice. Check in took forever, there was only 3 or 4 of us in line but each one took 5 minutes or more... How hard can it be? I've checked into plenty that take less than 2 minutes. When it was finally my turn my reservation from "Hotel Tonight" hadn't come in yet, not sure whose fault that was but I kinda thought this internet thing was pretty instant...? The guy that checked me in never smiled once, never asked me how I was, very snobby. Apparently this hotel has some new renovated rooms and some that are old, very old. Had I known that I would have asked for a new one, maybe they didn't have any left, not sure but I got to my room and was immediately overwhelmed with a horrible smell, not even sure what it was, a combination of must and something else, ignored that, couldn't be bothered asking for another room. Heat was turned off, it's winter, room was cold, turned that on and sat down at the desk with my computer as I had some work to do. Noticed after about 5 minutes of sitting there that my feet where very cold for some reason, felt my socks, soaking wet, felt the floor, all around the desk was soaking wet. Not sure why, maybe someone peed all over it? Maybe something happened and they had to steam clean that small area? I have no idea, maybe that was part of the smell? Maybe if the heat was on it would have dried? Went out later on to get a bite to eat, came back, parking was full, had to use the garage, first level was full, people were lined up to get to the second level, the garage door wouldn't open, staff were there on the phone, finally got it open and got in. Went to get my car the next morning and all the man doors to P2 were locked, I couldn't get to my car! I had to stand by the garage door and wait for someone to come through there and bolt through before it closed.

All in all a pretty crappy experience but I guess they are cheap for a reason, hope you luck out and get a new renovated room...

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, you don't want one of the old ones...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank StevieOntario
Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed 2 nights recently and found the room to be very outdated. Old furnishings in bad repair. The carpets are thread-bare and dirty throughout the hotel. The room had an overpowering smell of freshener to hide the smell from years of use. This triggered my allergies making my eyes burn and water. The TV was an OLD model and the remote only changed the channels - not many available anyway. Bathroom also very old and outdated and even though the staff try hard - impossible to clean properly because the surfaces of the fixtures was worn and the faucet was falling off the wall.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The restaurant is very nice and the service was excellent. The food was also extremely tasteful and well presented. We ate in the restaurant and also had room service and found the food and service equally excellent in both.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family