“Nice Little Getaway”

Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites
Ranked #75 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband & I and sister & brother-in-law went here to stay overnight to celebrate my sister's birthday. The front desk clerks were very busy but very efficient at multi-tasking. We stayed in the renovated section in a king suite with a comfy king-size bed. The room was a decent size with a flat screen tv and two comfy chairs and a desk. I had earlier requested a fridge and was willing to pay extra but that wasn't in my room. No problem since they had a balcony where I could put my snacks onto. They took off the charge upon checkout without incident. It was very busy the night that we arrived and we couldn't find a parking spot. There was a conference there that day which ended at 5:00 p.m. plus a wedding. We went out for dinner and when we returned we were able to find a spot. The sink drain circle part was off and just in the sink but it wasn't hard how to figure out how to screw it back on. The faucet was very loose and jiggly but it worked. The bathroom was small but had everything you would need, including a tub. The heated bathroom floors were a nice surprise. The next morning, we meandered into the dining room but there wasn't a lot of food left as there was only one more hour until the breakfast buffet was over. We knew that they would probably re-fill this but were hungry at that point so we just grabbed breakfast at the Tim Horton's which is just down the road. I'm sure in the summer, it would look even more spectacular with the greenery on the surrounding trees. It was comfortable and the price was right for us.

Room Tip: I recommend you upgrade to a king suite because the rooms have been updated and these rooms have fla...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 February 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel and was extremely pleased with my experience!
Front desk was friendly, humouring and made check in fun! He took the time the next morning to ask if I had been successful on my wedding dress shopping! He went out of the way to offer assistance to my friend that is expecting. ( thoughtful)
I was very happy with all the features and amenities of the hotel. Rooms were very clean, well maintained and spacious came with a Kierig in your room.
The access to the Don Valley makes driving in Toronto much easier.
I would defiantly stay again and will recommend this hotel to anyone looking in this area :)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I saw this hotel advertised on a WagJag. I didn't want to commit to a WagJag, so I just went onto their website. I was looking for a nice play to stay for Valentines, albeit, a day late. I booked the Deluxe King room. The room itself was nice, the bed and pillows and bedding was heavenly. The bathroom was sub par. I think when they remodelled the room, they forgot the bathroom...but it was ok. I was a bit surprised that it didn't come with a fridge and microwave. These are pretty much standard, in any hotel room, these days. The staff accommodated us with a fridge, within 5 minutes. I would think so, paying $135/night. I'm confused with this hotel...the staff and food were way above average...4+star...listening to other guests in the restaurant, and also the food that we ate, but the accommodation, I would say is 2-3 star. I had the "guaranteed cheapest rate" through IPREFER, but the day before, I saw it on Expedia for $101.00...I should have mentioned it, but really couldn't be bothered, to be honest. The staff made up for it. You have a Keurig in your room...with teas, decaf coffee and 1 regular coffee...hmmm weird. I went downstairs at around 5:30 am looking for a second cup, and there was no coffee machine in the lobby? Even weirder. A gentleman in the kitchen, soon accommodated me with 2 fresh coffees, from their kitchen, which I was truly grateful, for! :) I pre-paid for the breakfast buffet...it was fabulous! Again, confused with this hotel...sub par accommodation, but above par staff...sure hope they pay them well, as they should be working in a 4+ hotel. Oh...and you have to pay a $12/day parking fee...such a strange place.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fortune123
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My work booked the hotel for me during this visit but due to some recent reviews I was really not looking forward to it. Was I ever wrong. I found the staff extremely polite, the rooms Impeccably clean with excellent attention to detail. Every time I walked by the Front Desk I was greeted with a smile. It really made me feel like I was at a "Home Away From Home." I want to thank everyone that was working and I will be back for sure!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mary G
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Don't stay there. Not worth that money. The room was old and outdated. It didn't look the same as the pictures showed. The room was with the big old tv not with flat screen and the style of the room looked really old, so didn't match with the price.Also, smelled like Indian food after we opened our door. At the pool and gym areas had a very strong chlorine smell and made me really sick after i stood there for 1 min. Plus you have to pay for parking and totally not worth it($13.50) because this hotel is not a fancy hotel at all and not with friendly staffs and they tried to be one.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ccuw
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel during the ice storm since my apartment had no power. The hotel did not have any power either. The service my family received from the staff was incredibly. They did try to find us another hotel but due to the location we did not want to move anywhere else, even if it had power. The hotel had done everything in their power to make us feel comfortable. This is our second visit and we would come back again anytime!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Sadly my experience was not great. The room that I stayed in was their standard double bed room. On their website they advertise that they are an urban resort, the photos of the rooms look luxurious and modern. The reality is that Motel 6 rooms looked better than the room I stayed, which I paid $200 for.
What I found really upsetting was I was treated differently then the older customers at the time of check in and check out. Granted it was New Years and I know some people my age, mid twenties, have been reckless on New Years. I was treated like a teenager, they asked for a cash deposit for the room before my stay. At check out, I was asked to wait 20 minutes while the manager reviewed my hotel room to see if any damage had been done, there was no damage and I got my deposit back. However, while waiting the 20 minutes, older customers checked out within seconds. They did not have to pay a deposit, nor did the manager check their rooms.
You have to pay for parking, which is not stated when you book. Most Toronto hotels do this, but Don Valley is hardly Toronto.
The elevators take an extremely long time for only 5 floors, to the point where people were getting frustrated and taking the stairs.
The only reason I stayed at this hotel was not to party on New Years, it was actually to bring in the new years with a friend at the hospital who got into a life altering accident. For a night that was supposed to be special, It was fairly upsetting to be treated so poorly by the staff

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends