“Still needs work”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Ranked #36 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in late November and late January as the hotel was under renovation and changing its name. Check in was fine but room was small and despite being recently renovated, the armoire would hardly open and bathroom fixtures were not installed straight. Food at the meeting was good and location in Toronto is very good. Self parking underground was $29

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Umesh S, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your honest input on our service and guestroom appointment and apologize for any inconvenience you experienced as we continue our transition through renovation.
We strive to provide the quality hospitality and accommodations you deserve and we will use your comments on amenities and value as we continue to evolve our guests' experience.

We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Umesh SrivastavaCHA

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Recently stayed here with friends for the Keith Urban concert. First impression, you can definitely see this property is under some serious maintenance. The place definitely is in need of some work. Two of our couples received renovated rooms while the other two couples did not. Let's just say the non-renovated rooms are horrible......and to be honest I've stayed in hotels all over the world, and I'm not picky at all. The renovated rooms looked as if they were on deadlines to get done. The workmanship in these rooms were horrible. The bathroom tiles were not even, the tiles were not cut straight, the room had patches in the floor that still needed work.

In my opinion it seems as if they are setting this hotel up as a business hotel....i.e. gearing it towards the business clients. The rooms remind you of the Manhattan hotel setting where they make the most out of a small space. I would not recommend this for a family for example.

The parking is $29 a night which is a complete joke. It's underground but not secured at all unlike many other downtown Toronto hotels. The internet is also $12 a night which is a complete joke. I could see this changing soon as this is a Doubletree and not a minimum 4 star Hilton Hotel to charge such a crazy fee.

I feel bad for the staff working now. Many worked at the old Metropolitan Hotel and had to learn a brand new computer system. If you are a HH's member, you might get annoyed as they are still learning the system. The owners of the property should have just closed the property and reopen it the right way. This can only be a headache for those working the desk there dealing with people complaining about either getting a new room vs. old rooms and paying the same price.

Room Tip: sign up for HH's to receive the renovated rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback during your recent stay at our hotel.

Feedback is an essential component to our continuous improvement approach towards increasing guest satisfaction and hospitality levels. I appreciate the time and effort you took to bring to my attention your experience at our Hotel.

I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced related to the room refurbishment as well as the parking and Internet. I understand, that as a traveler, and upon arriving at your final destination, one would expect to be greeted with a pleasurable check in experience and enjoy a full night’s rest and fully experience the amenities the offered by the hotel.

Your feedback is valuable and I am working with my project team to resolve the issues that you have highlighted in your comments.

We are continuously training our staff as per brand standards and I have conveyed your feedback to my Front Office Manager and the Director Human Resources.

We will be fully refurbished in another few months and all our rooms will be refreshed to the new prototype.We are already 60 % complete with our rooms.

I hope you will give us a chance when you are visiting Toronto again. Please do let me know when you are coming next at the hotel , I will offer you a complimentary upgrade to our One Bedroom Suite with Breakfast and Parking so you can experience these amenities first hand.

Thank you once again for your feedback..

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Staff warm and friendly. Rooms beautifully appointed with lovely furniture. Two nice restaurants and bar with attentive staff. Great choice of food on menus. Chinese restaurant has very varied dishes. Excellent meeting facilities on top 26th floor. I would return anytime.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay here and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Toronto.

I will convey your feedback to my team and thank you again for your review. it is nice to know that you enjoyed our Signature DoubleTree cookie which is a brand standard for DoubleTree Hotels across the world.

See you back soon!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

This was a new property for the hilton brand downtown. I had high expectation for this location since I had stayed at the former doubletree by the Toronto airport and the renovation happening at this new property. The location is convenience for people looking for downtown near city hall. This hotel is still under renovation at 60% complete, so I did expect the construction crew, dirt in the hotel elevator,etc.

Hotel check in went well with the offer for a warm chocolate chip cookies and quick for my king bed room on the newly renovated hilton honors floor but no upgrade was offered. When I enter the room, the room was simply small for a room at this price point, A disappointment, I sure hate what a room would be like on the non hilton honors levels. In the room there was room for a bed, a desk working area, 2 night stand a dresser area with a fridge and safe, and a small closet big enough for 10 pieces of clothing. And that is it, if you have 2 full size suitcases, you might be tripping over them. One interesting feature about the room is the bed, the bed is higher off the ground than other hotels. Not sure why, but when laying in bed to watch tv, I am at a good height. Bathroom was small and they did try to make the best of it to make it modern.
Things I did not like about the room. The ac/heater unit was place next to the desk. When working at the desk And the heat is on, you get this blast of air aimed at your face. No ability to change the fan speed or direction of airflow. I just put on a sweater and turn off the heat to keep working. In the bathroom, they had a glass shelf over the sink for toiletries. Unfortunately, the shelf was over the faucet which makes it difficult to wash my face in the sink. The electrical outlet in the bathroom was so close to the mirror, it just make it difficult to unplug anything. I just left the hair dryer plugged in. During my shower, I lost water to the room in the middle of a shower and it took 5 minutes for it to come back. The elevator got stuck on the 5th floor, fortunately we had security with us and he got it going after he reset it. With the hotel Reno only 60% complete! I hope they can make some changes tot he remaining 40% of the rooms.
As an HHonors member, I was offered complementary continental breakfast in a nice restaurant. This location does not have an executive floor. Too bad the breakfast was only limited to the pastry, yogurt and fresh fruit. Wished they would expanded it to include the hot buffet items.

When I told the front desk about some of my comments about the hotel and the water issue. They told me that they will take care of with it for my next stay with a room upgrade. Not sure what other room would be available since I was not offered any during this visit.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to the area.

We appreciate your candid feedback and hope you will accept our apologies for any disappointment in the condition of your guestroom and property amenities during your visit.

We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our team and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered with comfort and appointment.

Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve as a valued HHonors member.

General Manager,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed one night at the Doubletree on New Years Eve. We choose the hotel for its location as well as cost since most hotels tend to double their rates on a major holiday. The Hilton had taken over the day before so there were some delays with check in and evidence that training was still taking place. However we were given warm chocolate chip cookies and apologies for the delay. We had asked for a room on one of the upper floors as I had read in trip advisor that room renovations had started at the top. Had a room on the 20th floor which was so new you could smell that new carpet smell. Very modern, very clean. Bathroom smaller but adequate.
You could see Nathan Philip Square from our window and our New Years venue was a 10 minute walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. Friends stayed in a non renovated room and it was like stepping into the...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MandyAR

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great feedback of your recent stay with the hotel.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.I have conveyed your comments to my entire team.

Thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back when ever you are visiting Toronto.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

This hotel just got rebranded to Doubletree and is about half way through extensive upgrades to meet Doubletree standards and significantly modernize the place. This is a place with some good potential, but there is still room for improvement. My take is that they opened up as a Doubletree during the low season so that they can work out the final details and be fully ready for the busier spring/summer season. Details below

What I liked: I was assigned one of the renovated rooms which looked fairly modern and was fairly functional. Very comfortable bed and noise was not a significant issue (the room a/c unit appeared to have been upgraded and that was manageable). WIFI is complimentary for Diamond members and worked fine throughout the stay, although speed was a bit slow. Complimentary breakfast is also provided to Diamond members. The standard offer is a continental buffet breakfast, which was not available during my stay (so I was allowed to apply the value of the voucher toward other breakfast items). Food quality and taste in the restaurant (for breakfast) was above average. Staff is very friendly throughout the hotel. This was the first Doubletree that I have ever been to that actually asked whether I was allergic to nuts prior to handing me the famous DTree cookie. As I am allergic to nuts, they offered an alternative:
(apples). Again, this was the first time that this was offered to me as an option at a Doubletree. Location is excellent is you are looking for shopping (Eaton Centre), need to be in the Hospital area (close to University avenue), behind City Hall and fairly close to Bay Street. Plenty of dining options nearby, especially if you enjoy Asian food. The gym has been redone and features brand new Procor equipment (mainly treadmills, ellipticals and stationary bikes)

What to watch for / could be improved: The rooms are extremely small at this property, and given the price paid, not necessarily the best value. Everything was renovated in the room but rather than put in a stand-in shower which would have saved some room, they seem to have kept the original bathtubs, which they have re-polised / repainted (everything else in the bathroom had been redone). As the renovations are work in progress, there were some paint stains in the room, especially in the bathroom. Many of the common areas had not been fully redone so it does not give the best impression of the hotel.

All in: This is a place with some potential but given overall room size, I'd be more inclined to stay at one of the two Hilton Garden Inns if price is the same.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback during your recent stay at the hotel.Feedback is an essential component to our continuous improvement approach towards increasing guest satisfaction and hospitality levels.

We really value your comments and more so, as you are a loyal Hilton Diamond member. I am so happy to know that you had a great stay with us , where" the small things mean everything ."

Your feedback about our bath tub has been sent to the Planning team and they are working on it.

Thank you also for your comments about the location. We are in close proximity of major hospitals and Government offices, Eaton shopping Centre is two blocks away and are just behind the City Hall.

We have also recently added the Hilton Honors Floors at our hotel.

Look forwarding to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thank you once again for your business.

Yours in hospitality,

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Fire alarm rang for an hour straight; toilet in my first room was in disrepair and continually flushed itself; heater in my second room was in disrepair and rattled loudly; hotel staff refused to comp the night of the fire alarm, when I had to relocate to another hotel to sleep before a business meeting. I doubt this is a typical stay and the location and price are decent enough to not overlook it if you don't have better options.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton