DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Ranked #32 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Lucknow, Canada
“nice spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I have stayed here once before with my sister.
Both times the rooms have been ok.
I am not a fan of the location to the other places we frequent but it works when the other places are sold out.
This time we did not eat here just due to time constraints.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear KathiNN

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we certainly hope that we become your hotel of choice when staying in the downtown area in the future.

Umesh Srivastava CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I choose this hotel for three reasons, its proximity to the major cultural venues such as museums and concert halls, the Hilton name inspires confidence, and the price seemed reasonable. I was not disappointed in any of these presumptions. While there was some restoration and improvement work going on, it was well handled and discreet and certainly did not disturb my stay in any way. I found the attitude of all staff members I met was outstanding, while being quietly efficient they were welcoming, friendly, helpful and polite. I did not use all the facilities available to guests because of the nature of my stay but I enjoyed the meals I had in the restaurant, breakfast and dinner, the quality of food and the service was excellent. The room was on the smaller side, but pleasant, sparklingly clean and contained all that one might require. Ideally situated for ease of getting around Toronto, whatever the purpose of one's visit, mine was cultural, I would recommend this hotel for all classes of traveller with particular reference to the quality/price ratio, services provided and suitability for all types of trip.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Gillian D

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this amazing review of our Hotel. We were thrilled to read all your comments but especially about how our staff interacted with you. We are doing extensive service culture training with all of our associates and by your comments it must be working. I have shared your remarks with so many of our associates and they were so happy when they heard what you had said. I know that our restaurant manager was so happy when he read your remarks about the restaurant because we have known for a long time that our food is incredible and by the sounds of it the service is too. I sincerely hope we have the chance to welcome you back as our guest in the future.

great White North
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I recently stayed here for one night. The front ofice staff allowed me to check in a few hours earlier which was a realbonus. The renovated room was a bit on the small side but the bed was excellent. The pool and small gym were in good shape and clean. I'd stay here again as the location is. Very good. The renovations do not seem to be completed yet though for all rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear RumGuy

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us and we are so happy you enjoyed your stay. It was great to hear that the front desk looked after you and checked you in early and that you loved our beds. Our location is great because we are so close to some of Toronto's finest attractions and shopping. We look very forward to welcoming you back as our guest again in the future.

Syracuse, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

we had a good visit to this hotel, which is convenient to subways and lots of restaurants and other things in Toronto. We had 2 little girls with us, and the junior suite was perfect (The girls had their TV, and we had ours, making everyone in the family less grumpy). The hotel staff was really welcoming. The hotel was under renovation but we didn't notice it. As a HHonors member, we stayed in one of the new rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
Dear Peter D

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at our hotel with us and we are so happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay. Our associates will be so pleased with your comments about how they made you feel welcome because that is and always will be our main focus. We look very forward to having you and your family back as our guest in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

As we visit Sick Kids Hospital regularly we have stayed at various hotels in the Downtown Toronto Area. I have always wanted to try a DoubleTree and decide we would try this time around. The service and courteous staff went out of the way to make our stay comfortable. From arriving before 3pm and being able to check into, to the call to the room to ensure the room was to our liking. I don't have a bad thing to say about our stay. The hotel is under renovation but we were placed in a newly renovated room that was very modern and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Dear loriz564

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us and I am so happy to see that everything went great with your stay upon your first visit to a DoubleTree. I can't wait to share your comments with our staff about how much you enjoyed your interactions with them. We can make the building as beautiful as we want but its our associates that will keep the guests coming back because of how we all make you feel and I am proud to tell them that they all made you feel appreciated and welcomed. We hope we have the pleasure of having you as our guest again in the future.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

The hotel is well located, near subway, Yonge Street (shopping!!). But rooms definitely needs upgrade. Deco is realy old, the price is to high for the quality of the hotel. But personnal is really nice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 15 February 2014
Dear nxtoption

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and yes our location is great and close to so many of Toronto's top attractions, restaurants and shopping. As you saw, we are in the process of updating and refreshing our hotel and many of our guest rooms, the health club and common areas have already been completed and we are getting excellent comments and feedback from our guests. We certainly hope you stay with us again once the hotel has been finished

West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

I stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Downtown for 4 nights in early February. My trip was booked via the Hilton official site. I decided on the Doubletree because the rates were lower than other Hilton properties in the Toronto downtown area.

I researched how to get to the Doubletree and was happy to find out that the Airport Express coach from Toronto Pearson Airport drops off and picks up just across the street from the hotel main entrance. That for me is a really good benefit.

On entering the hotel there are plenty of notices pointing out that refurbishment and renovations are taking place and that the hotel apologises for any inconvenience. I also saw a drop down note on the Hilton website during my booking process, so I was aware that there may be some disruption. I did notice during my stay certain areas being painted and worked on but I should point out that not once during my entire stay did I hear any construction noise or notice anything other than cosmetic work being carried out.

Check was fast and friendly. I did have to point out to the staff member that the hotel did participate in an airline points scheme (BA Avios). This after he told me that they did not. This confusion maybe from the hotel recently joining the Hilton portfolio. I was offered a twin room on the 3rd floor and was told that it was a refurbished room. My room was indeed refurbished and was clean, smart, and very functional. One thing that did stand out was the bath tub, obviously left over from before the refurbishment. Why spend so much money on renovating the whole hotel and bedrooms and then leave the old bath tubs which look dated and stale white? Everything worked in the room and the beds were very comfortable.

I frequented the hotel bar on several occasions and found the service and staff (Gregor) to be great. The bar food looked very good quality and the drinks were decently priced for a hotel bar. I didn't eat in the restaurant but from what I could see, it was run very efficiently and the food looked of a very high standard.

I intended to use the pool and fitness facilities but didn't quite manage to achieve this. I did however manage to check out these facilities. The pool and the fitness room both looked brand new, lots of very modern fitness machines. And a very clean dry sauna. I did notice the lockers in the changing rooms required a padlock so I would suggest taking one if you plan on using this facility.

There is Wi-Fi in the hotel. I found a free connection in the bar/restaurant area, and there is Wi-Fi for a fee in the bedrooms, although certain tiers of Hilton HHonors get this free. There are also several computers very close to the front reception desk for general use.

On checking out of the hotel, I was told there was a problem with my credit card to pay for room extras. This confused me slightly and on further investigation the hotel had used a different card owned by me and on the system rather than the card I had requested to be used when I checked in. A very minor simple mistake, but attention to detail could be improved. Once corrected, the accuracy of my bill and departure from the hotel property were all in order.

The hotel is located on Chestnut Street very close to it's junction with Dundas Street West. There is a dedicated hotel underground car park or a slightly cheaper privately operated surface car park next door to the left of the hotel. As well as the previously mentioned Airport bus stop across the road, the Toronto Coach Terminal is a few minutes walk North, and the streetcar is a few paces up from the hotel main reception. Just South of the hotel is City Hall, which has access to the Toronto PATH network.

So, my overall opinion of the Doubletree Downtown, a great location to get to and from, slightly cheaper than other hotels, all the facilities that you need, can only get better as the renovations are completed. A good hotel right now that will become great in the near future. I look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room. If travelling from Toronto Pearson Airport, take the Airport Express bus...