“What an Incredible Letdown!!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Ranked #35 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We live in the suburbs, and twice per year we get a room downtown to relax around the hot tub. As we checked in, it was interesting as I waited in line. Both reception employees, one on either side of me, were fielding complaints from two very unhappy guests. One man complained that the hotel was dirty, and the other complained that his search and rescue dog was not allowed in the hotel because it was not a ‘service dog.’ I guess this was a sign of things to come.

I had made a point of calling the hotel last week before I booked to ensure the pool and hot tub were open. The front desk at this hotel assured me everything was open. We checked in, put our suits on and headed to the pool...... There was no hot tub? What happened to it? That was the main reason we chose this hotel!!!! Arrrrrggggg! I tried to use the dry sauna, but it was ice cold in there.

What a complete waste of time and money!! I feel like I was deceived. Not nice Doubletree! For this reason, I am fairly certain I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank EmilyandFamily12
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear EmilyandFamily12

I am so sorry that you were not happy with your stay with us and that we did not meet your expectations. When we recently renovated our Health Club we did decide to no longer have the Whirlpool for a number of reasons and I am very sorry that this caused an inconvenience to you and your family. I hope you will reconsider and choose us as your hotel again and enjoy all the great things that our hotel does have to offer.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Came with my husband on his business trip and hotel is centrally located in downtown within walking distance to most tourist attractions like CN Tower, St Lawrence Market...and there's a big mall down the street

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JazzeeBob

Thank you for sharing your feelings on the hotels location with everyone. We are so close to great shopping, The Eaton Centre, China Town, The Royal Ontario Museum and so much more and this certainly is very convenient for our guests.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This hotel offered great service and the staff made an enjoyable stay once again, love love love this hotel- thanks again for the wonderful stay at the Double Tree, definitely recommend this hotel to future guests.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Jamie B
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear Jamie B

Thank you so much for sharing your review with everyone on your most recent stay and all I can say is WOW. It seems that we not only met your expectaions but we exceeded everything as well. I can't wait to share your review with all of our amazing team members and we are thrilled to welcome you back again as our guest.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Friendly, helpful, efficient staff. Excellent location. Great parking facility. Easy to access from Gardiner Expressway via York/University. Lots of good places to eat within 15' walk. Clean room. Excellent free internet.

Down side was the heater/airconditioner in the room. Fan is too loud even on low setting. Turned off the heater, which made the room cold but at least it was quiet.

Room Tip: I took a room far from the elevator, which ensures minimal disturbance from the loud guests walking...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bcsanders

Dear bcsanders

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review of our hotel and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our associates "friendly, helpful and efficient". We are happy that you enjoyed the free internet as we are one of the only downtown hotels to offer this to our guests (free internet and free DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies), we love how these things make our guests feel. Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The location is spectacular and is central to everything.

Newly Renovated Rooms at this location are awesome. The bed here was one of the best I have slept in...very comfortable. This should have translated into an amazing sleep, unfortunately my room was right next to the elevator. I was awoken by early risers at 5am, houskeeping staff, and the ding of the elevator everytime it reached my floor. The walls must have been paper thin because I felt like every discussion in the hall was taking place in my bed.

I brought this to the front desk's attention upon check out...they only mumbled "I'm sorry".

Needless to say I would stay here again but request a room furthest from the elevator.

Room Tip: Stay away from the Elevators.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Remmit23

Dear Remmit23

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us and we are so happy you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. We are very excited now that every room in the hotel has been renovated and all of our guest will now have the chance to enjoy them. I would suggest that when staying with us try and ask for a room that is further away from the elevators and we actually do try and use these rooms last because we know that its an area that guests leaving the floors like to talk. I will speak with our Front Desk Manager and he can talk with his team because we certainly want to Make it Right for each guest that may encounter an inconvenience and mumbling I'm sorry is certainly not the way we want our associates responding to guests. Thank you so much for staying with us and we look forward to having you back as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I usually stay at Hilton hotels for work and rarely review them but this time I had to. It's the second time I stay here and it was again disappointing.
Both situations have been bathroom cleanliness. The first one, they left a half moisturizer bottle and one of the towels was dirty like with makeup. The faucet sink would clog with just washing your hands. I asked to have it cleaned up. Cordially, they did.
The second stay was worse. The toilet bowl had a "code brown" on the seat. How couldn't they see that!! I had to call again for them to clean the bathroom or toilet bowl in this case.
I'm very disappointed and will definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Daros30

Dear Daros30

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stays with us and it certainly seems that we did not meet your expectations. The cleanliness issues with your rooms certainly fall short of the high expectations that our Housekeeping team set in preparing each room for a new guest arrival and it is a shame that you did not catch us at our best. We are always striving for room cleanliness and total guest satisfaction and we as managers inspect all of our rooms on a regular basis. Our Director of Housekeeping would love the chance to speak with you about these issues and she would much appreciate if you emailed her at isabel.carreiro@hilton.com We would love to know how we can "Make it Right" for you so you will return to us as a guest again. We thank you and appreciate your business.