“First visit to Canada”

Ranked #33 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Austin, Texas
“First visit to Canada”
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first trip to Canada and to meet with my girlfriend before heading to Brazil for the World Cup. I was greeted properly and treated with respect. The room was clean and very comfortable. We even went swimming which was great also. Excellent location, near many stores and restaurants and the underground mall.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear DariEnLake25

Thank you very much for posting your review of our hotel and I am so happy that you enjoyed our property and hopefully we made your first trip to Canada a very special and memorable one.
We hope to welcome you back again as our guest one day.

Umesh Srivastava CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Goderich, Canada
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The only thing missing is a fantastic pool, which is extremely hard to find in downtown Toronto anyway... Walking distance to Blue Jays Games, CN Tower, Aquarium, and the Symphony (Roy Thomson Hall). And I am supposed to write a minimum of 200 characters, but no need to read on.... I have nothing else to say...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

2 Thank Renee R
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Renee R

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel and I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location truly is amazing since we are so close to so many of Toronto's top tourist spots. We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest again in he future.

Huntersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Let's say this was a bad week for me. No hotels in downtown Toronto due to that "Million Dollar Round Table". Clearly shows that the city hotel rooms inventory is not enough to host big events. This is not this hotel problem, in fact, they were really nice to get me a room here after I stayed one night at the airport and spent 4 hours in commute to downtown.

I clearly overpaid for this stay $309/night but it was worth it to not spend 4 hours commuting. This hotel is nice in the summer, but if you are working at the financial district, beware that it does not connect to the underground path. You'll have to walk around 10 minutes on the outside to reach the Sheraton entrance and be in the path.

My stay here started with a friendly reception without the traditional chocolate chip cookies as they ran out of it. The room looked new or recently refurbished (I was on the HHonors floor) with excellent bed, terrible pillows (like most hotels), bathroom with a nice shower and fast trouble free internet with no requirements to login, so you don't loose your session if you need to connect to the VPN. The Hilton Downtown refreshes every 24 hours and their internet is terrible compared to this one which is free. I was able to Skype with the family at 6pm with excellent video quality. The breakfast is nothing great. The pastries and croissants are not fresh and the coffee is by far the worse coffee I have ever had in my life.

The room A/C unit is very powerful, but terribly noisy. Had to sleep with it turned off on the first night.

I have ordered room service one night, and aside from the very short menu, I was impressed by the good quality of the burger I got. The food in Toronto is not great at all, and this hotel delivered something I would order again.

But the worse problem during my stay is about to be presented. At around 12:30am someone walked into my room (I forgot to double lock the door) and as soon as it saw that it was occupied, vanished immediately without saying a word. I am assuming if it was a employee with good faith, it would have at least apologized. Called front desk immediately and locked the doors. Front desk calls me 10 minutes later saying security is looking into it. 20 minutes later they call me saying they did not find the person, and they would get the key history but recommended me to lock the door. I obviously lost my sleep and decided to watch TV. TV then decides to stop working, emits a bang, big red screen and shuts down completely. Stand by light stays on but remote is unresponsive.

I most likely would not return to this hotel, however, if there is absolutely nothing around and this DoubleTree and the Sheraton are the only ones available, I would pick the DoubleTree as the Sheraton is the worse hotel in Toronto Downtown.

1 Thank Eduardo F
Dear Eduardo F

Thank you for taking the time to post your review based on your recent stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed your room and some of the amenities that came with it such as complimentary WIFI and also that you liked our room service burger, we do receive lots of great comments about our food quality from our guests. I was very disappointed about someone entering your room late at night because we take security very important and our security department did do the investigation into the incident. If you would like to discuss things further please contact our Front Desk Manager Matt at matt.scriven@hilton.com.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My stay here started very well-friendly reception with their trademark warm, rich chocolate chip cookie. The room looked new or recently refurbished with excellent bed, bathroom, towels and fast trouble free internet. The Chinese restaurant downstairs was great, albeit quite expensive. But there was two problems that made the stay less pleasant, one clearly a problem with employee training. The room AC unit is powerful, but quite noisy. But I'll grant that as hard to fix, if the building doesn't have central air. Then was a switchboard problem in the evening, where outside calls were dumped without reaching a person. My colleague called three times with no luck, but when I called the front desk, they insisted there was no problem and that the caller should just call again. So she tried a fourth time. The guy at the front desk still said he couldn't help me. So I had to make a quite expensive cell phone call, instead of using the land line. It would have cost the hotel pennies (if even) to have offered to let me call Montreal on the hotel line without charge, and then they would have a likely repeat client, instead of one who will avoid the hotel in the future.

1 Thank wilson17
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear wilson17

Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings on your recent stay and I am not very happy that we did not seem to respond to your needs in the way that you were hoping, I have discussed this with our Front Desk Manager and we would love for you to email us with a bit more information and we can hopefully Make this Right for you so that you will return to our hotel again. Please contact matt at matt.scriven@hilton.com so we can look into your challenges more.

winnipeg
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Stayed here for business. Excellent location, walking distance to my business meetings, shops and restaurants. Very clean, newly renovated rooms have all that you need including free wifi and a small fridge. The bed was super comfortable. Staff were all very pleasant. Love the warm chocolate chip cookie upon check-in. Very good value for downtown Toronto.

1 Thank ilovevacationsalot
Dear ilovevacationsalot

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us and I am so happy that you enjoyed everthing about your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest again with another warm DoubleTree cookie..

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This hotel is close to the bus station and the rooms are presently being updated (rooms above the 8th floor have been renovated as of June 1 2014). The positives: The internet works well. The negatives: the front desk service is slow and staff seem confused, the rooms are small, the a/c unit blew air directly at the bed and was very noisy, the rooms are noisy... I changed rooms, one had noise from the elevator, the other had noise from the busy street. I was there as part of a group with one room booked as part of the group block, and had to add another room for one of my staff. Most frustrating was that hotel management did not respond to three attempts to add an extra room to the group block and we ended up having other staff stay at the Sheraton. They seemed happier there.

Dear pundit705

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of the hotel and it seems that you did not catch us at our best and that we did not look after all your needs correctly. Our front desk manager would love the chance to speak with you about your concerns. His name is Matt and you can reach him via email at matt.scriven@hilton.com. Thank you so much and hopefully we can Make it Right for you.

Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Great location, walking distance to most anything. The rooms are newly renovated. Great value for the money. Great beds and the TV has great picture quality. free in room movies that i was unaware until it was time to check out. eggsmart was a very good place for breakfast only two blocks away. Would return to this hotel and also recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Randy G
Dear Randy G

Thank you so much for posting this great review of our hotel and we are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are so happy to say that all of our guest rooms are fully renovated and our guests seem to just love them. Our location is always mentioned as a great selling feature for our hotel because we are so close to so many things. You had mentioned the free in room movies, we do not offer free movies in the room, that is something we do sometimes for a guest to show them how much we CARE.