“Great Service, Very Good Rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown
Ranked #32 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal, Canada
“Great Service, Very Good Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The service is the best thing about this hotel. The check in employees are the most friendly and passionate, and the rest of the staff are very courteous and efficient. The rooms were just renovated, and you can smell fresh paint all around you. The renovated the rooms to look very slick and modern, and are spotless. The only problem I had was that when i checked in, my first room had no cold water, and when i opened the tap, I burned my hand. I called the front desk right away, and within 2 minutes there was somebody there to bring me to my next room. Besides that, I had a great stay at this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Alex R

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us and I was so happy to see that you realy enjoyed your say with us and it seems that we met and even exceeded your expectaions. I am excited to share your comments about the great service with all our team members because we stress at all of our trainings and meetings that service is what the hotel business should be all about. Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Umesh Srivastava CHA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

A plain retrofitted old hotel with some amenities. There is a strange odour emanating from sewer in the lobby by the elevators. This was my friend's choice for hotel and he is a penny pincher. So were the renovations on this building. I found it was more pleasant to deal with the cleaning and maintenance staff then the front end staff. Very unpleasant hotel attitude. I guess they think they are the one and only. Would not choose this hotel myself, I prefer modern amenities and good service.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank traveljunkie22_10
Dear traveljunkie22_10

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel and I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you were not enamoured with our renovation. We receive so many great comments on the hotel now so I was very suprised to see how we seemed to not meet your expectations. I also was not happy to see your comments about our team members here at the hotel because if you read most of the comments posted here, a large majority of the guests have amazing comments about our staff so I am not sure what made you feel this way. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and maybe one day we can welcome you back.

Ottawa ON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is perfectly located in downtown Toronto with lots of restaurants and bars close by. Our only complaint was the noise outside of our room. We arrived after midnight and were given room 601 which is beside the ice machine and close to the elevators. I knew it would be noisy and should have requested a different room but it was late, we were tired and I knew the hotel was fully booked so we decided to stay put. We were woken each morning by people chatting while waiting for the elevator. It sounded like they were in our room! And the ice machine was very popular, causing quite a bit of noise. Add to that the housekeeping staff seemed to load their carts right outside the door (or at least it sounded like that), and we were wishing we had ear plugs. We would stay there again but would not accept that room again (also 614 looked just as bad).

Dear Stang1sk

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel and for shaqring your feedback with us. I am so happy that you found our location perfectly located. We really are so close to many of Toronto's most desirable tourist areas such as China Town, The Eaton Centre, Nathan Philips Square and so much more. I am sorry that you found your room noisy due to its location near the elevators and please understand that all hotels have rooms located close to the elevators and as a practise we always rent out those rooms last, we are always mindful when not full to put our guests as far away as posible. We thank you for choosing to stay with us and hope to welcome you back again.

pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Park in the garage first. It is easy to find and locate the Doubletree parking spots. Remember your license plate number as they ask for it when you check it. You don't need to go through a gate or swipe a card to enter or exit. At 3 pm, there was a long line to check. The staff were efficient and able to process guest quickly, but it have been better to have more reception personnel checking people in.

Sleep Quality
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank techmgr1
Dear techmgr1

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel and we thank you for the feedback about the check in process and I will share your comments with our Front Office Manager. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again.

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was in Toronto for a weekend conference and after researching a number of hotels decided on the Doubletree. I was very happy with everything. They let me check in a little early as the room was available when I arrived. As other reviewers can attest, the cookie they offered was warm and delicious. A nice touch. The room was very comfortable and clean - thanks Carlene. I was on the 16th floor in room 1611 at the end of the hall. I found it to be very quiet which was perfect. I didn't park at the hotel as I found it quite expensive. I actually parked in a garage at 180 Dundas which was much cheaper and just a few minutes walk away. I enjoyed having a drink one evening in the bar of the hotel. I found it quite comfortable. The location is quite central to everything. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: 1611 is at the end of the hall, far away from the elevators and very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank luvtotravelCanada
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear luvtotravelCanada

Thank you so much for taking to post your review of the hotel and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, Thank you for the comment about the cleanliness of the rooms and for mentioning one of our associates by name, recognition for great work is so important and I love sharing great comments with my team. We thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again.

Rochester,NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

Took a quick trip up to Toronto to see a performance at Massey Hall. The hotel was a little off the beaten path, but still close to everything.

The lobby- It was modern and appealing. The staff were friendly and my daughter and I were presented with warm chocolate chip oatmeal cookies upon completion of our check-in. :)

The room- A little small, but that's not out of the ordinary for an older hotel in a big city. It was very modern, with a nice sized Samsung LCD perfectly placed in front of the Queen Sized Bed. Speaking of bed, it was very comfy. Soft mattress and pillows. I slept like a stone, as did my 10 year old. The bathroom was spacious with good water pressure and modern amenities.

Odds and ends- Internet was pretty darn fast for wireless and is was FREE, unlike some of the larger hotels which are changing to a daily 'rate' for internet use. It was within a 5-7 minute walk of the subway station and also about 5+ minutes to the corner of Dundas and Young, which is were all the action is. If you walk further to the West from the hotel on Dundas it gets fairly 'trendy' and a bit more blue collar. I say this only as a way to describe the difference between the 'hotel/business district' and this western area. We liked walking that way, checking out the shops and local eateries. Our walk to Massey Hall took about 15 minutes as well. A/C blew COLD and Quiet. Very happy.

I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. We scored it via an online bidding site and paid just over $100. Worth every penny.

Room Tip: We were in 714, which was literally right next to the elevator. It didn't bother us, but it mig...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rhoke
Umesh S, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear rhoke

Thank you so much for posting this very detailed review of our hotel and I am so happy that you had a great stay with us. Our location is so close to so many of Toronto's best venues and so many guests find our location so perfect for their needs. I am happy that you found our staff helpful and friendly and just about every guest tells us how wonderful they are. We thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I wasn't over all impressed with this hotel. We have stayed in much nicer ones than this for a cheaper rate. Staff were friendly and helpful. Front desk is slow upon checking in and out. Parking is expensive, then again it is in Toronto. Will check out other hotels next stay.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Amy k

Thank you for posting your review of our hotel and I am sorry that our hotel did not seem to meet your expectations but I am happy that you found our associates friendly and helpful. Thank you for choosing us and have a great day.