“Clean, good service, and great value”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #49 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Clean, good service, and great value”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at the Strathcona Hotel for one night in November with two friends. We shared the executive queen with a cot. Reception was warm and efficient, and they did everything they could to ensure we received the cot we requested, even though the number of cots is limited. The room was clean and nicely decorated in a contemporary style, if a bit small for the three of us. The beds were comfortable and the cot was fine. Room service in the morning was prompt. The buffet breakfast, at $16, was good value. We were a bit late but they quite willingly topped up the buffet with fresh eggs and bacon. When they saw the sad state of a waffle we'd made with the self-serve machine, they made us a new one themselves. The location is wonderful -- right downtown and steps from the train station. We will stay there again next year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dressage01
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hi Dressage01,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us!

I assume by your name you were here for the Royal Winter Fair, so hope you enjoyed your time there as well.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, and we certainly hope to welcome you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Convenient to some downtown attractions providing you brought comfortable shoes. Room was very nice, hardwood floor verses carpet room would have been tight if there were two staying but was fine for one. There did seem to be some truck noises late at night but there a lot of construction going on.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Louise H
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Hi Louise,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Rooms are small but bright and modern. The hotel in general was spic and span clean. The staff was nice and helpful and the price was right and right downtown. What else could you want?

Oh, I did get burned by thinking the hotel had a free continental breakfast. Ended up costing me $35. It went from the best continental breakfast I ever had to the worst buffet breakfast I ever had.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hi Dale,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, they are always appreciated!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

However, I'm sorry to hear you were not aware of our Breakfast buffet charge. It is $14.95 plus tax, however we do certainly keep our prices competitive with other downtown properties. I'm happy to hear you found the food delicious though! =)

If you're ever back in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your stay.
surrey bc
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here again this year but upgraded to a King room. This allows for a little more floor space than 2 twins. The room was very clean, beds and pillows super comfy and the staff was fantastic.
We love that it is easy to walk to everything - the trains, subway and buses as well as lots of great restaurants. We will be back next year!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hi BizInTheCity,

I am overjoyed to hear you enjoyed your stay so much!

Thank you for taking time out of your day to leave us your review.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed twice this summer, the first time I was upgraded to a king size room because a queen was unavailable. This was nice, and the staff was friendly enough. I had issues with having someone sent to the room to help turn the closed captions on the tv. It took almost a whole day to have someone sent up.

The second time, I wasnt in my room much, but in the morning, the phone disturbed me in the morning and someone tried to come into the room while I was in the shower... long before checkout time. It was sort of annoying. Theres no view from the rooms I was in, and not enough lights in the room. But overall It was good for the value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank JennyFJames
Hi Jenny,

First and foremost, thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for taking the time to leave us your review. Any and all feedback is always much appreciated.

I am sorry to hear it took so long for someone to come and correct your closed captioning. I will certainly follow up with Maintenance regarding this.

Your feedback regarding housekeeping on your second stay is also very valuable, and I will be sure to share your review with them, and provide further training where needed.

I am however, happy to hear you found good value in the hotel.

If you are ever in the area again, I would suggest you ask for a room facing York Street, for more sunlight and a better view.

Please feel free to contact me directly. Happy Travels!
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed only one night! The staff is very attentive and helpful. But the rooms are small. I was in the room, the toilet was all cracked, endangering the user, this kind of situation unacceptable for a hotel worth its salt.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank EdsonXavyer
Hi EdsonXavyer,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review. The information provided by guests like you is very valuable to us in continuously improving our service.

I am very please to hear you found our staff attentive and helpful!

I am sorry to hear of your toilet seat though, and have now had our Maintenance replace it. So, thank you very much for bringing that to my attention.

If you are ever in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your booking.

Have a wonderful day!
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Small room with very modern decor. Located downtown - very near Union Station, Cn Tower, Eaton Mall etc. As for now- Oct 2013, many construction sites near the hotel. (Union Station renovations).Quite noisy during daytime. Peaceful at night though.
Room has hair dryer, Iron & Ironing board, coffee machine. Bad view from my room - Building wall !
No parking lot near. Wi-FI not included.You have to pay. (In my opinion that won't help their business cuz most hotel provide free service for wi-fi)
Tim Hortons is located right in front of hotel - where u can get free wi-fi.
Can not comment on breaskast since I left early.
Only inconvenience- No soap bars - Liquid body soap in bottle - attached to the wall outside the shower- I had to put some soap in a glass..."/$%?&* Duh!!!

Room Tip: If you want to have a better view, ask for a room - front side of the hotel. From my room 821- all...