“Good find”

Ranked #51 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Sarnia, Canada
“Good find”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was a pretty good hotel to stay at for the price. The only bad things I have to say are that I didn't realize our room would be so teeny tiny and that you can hear everything in the hallway all night - people talking, walking, doors closing. So I didn't have the best sleep due to people coming and going all night. Its really close to everything and the parking garage beside the hotel only cost $14.00 for 24 hours which is really good for dt Toronto. I would stay here again if I were going out but I would definitely get a bigger room so I wouldn't hear much of the noise.

Room Tip: Bigger rooms = less noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michelle b
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hi Michelle,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am glad that overall, the hotel met your satisfaction. Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes the demand is so high that alternate room types may not be available. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you in a larger room type this time. We do hope we will have an opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Toronto.

Please feel free to contact me directly to make your reservation.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night. Checkin was efficient, however I didn't get the complimentary upgrade or coupon for the restaurant as per the tripadvisor deal. Maybe it wasn't available. In any case, the room was small but modern. There wasn't much room in the way of workspace -- there was a narrow table by the window that was adequate, with a little ottoman you could sit on. On the plus side, there is ample closet space, ironing board and iron and funky lighting.

The bathroom had great water pressure, and built-in shampoo and conditioner dispensers. However, there is only one soap dispenser located above the sink, so you have to practically get out of the shower to get at the soap if you didn't bring your own.

The walls here are rather thin. In the hallway I could easily hear the machinations of the couple in the room across from me. It didn't bother me but I kinda chuckled.

I had a window in my 7th-floor room overlooking the parapet of the roof and surrounded by office towers. Not that amazing, but it is downtown after all.

I didn't have time to check out the restaurant. Rumour is that they have good beer and sports on the screens.

All in all a pretty decent value, considering the location -- close to all the downtown attractions and transit. If you arrive on via rail or porter, you could pretty much walk to the hotel without the need for a taxi.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Hi Nebulaboy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I do sincerely apologize you did not receive your upgrade or Pub coupon at check in.

Our Executive Rooms (located Floors 8 thru 12), do offer more space, as well as a writing desk, for more room.

Please feel free to contact me directly next time you are in the area, and I will be sure you receive your upgrade, in a quiet area, as well as a pub coupon so you can enjoy the pub atmosphere this time around!

Thank you again for your valuable review. They are always very much appreciated!
Reggio Emilia
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I've spent there 2 nights for a weekend. THe location is great because close to Union Station bus stop (the city transfer from/to Toronto international airport), close to the waterfront, to the main things too see and to the shopping area of the city. The room was a little bit "tiny" but nice, clean, all I need during a travelling alone week end.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Hi Stefy_RE,

Thank you for your review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

(Tip: If you ever wish to have more space, our Executive rooms have more square footage than the Smart rooms).
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed one night in October. Had a Smart 2 Twin room. The room was little (small in square footage) but adequate for 1 or 2 people, and quite affordable. The room was clean and tidy as were the bed linens and towels.

I would return again due to the convenient, reasonable walking distance to Union Station, and to the theaters on King Street. The location is very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hi Jen722,

Thank you for your review.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

The Smart 2 Twin room is indeed one of our smallest room types, so if you are back in the area in the future, feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to provide you an upgrade if available.

We hope to see you soon!
Ripon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Within walking distance for CN Tower ,Ripleys Aquarium and shops and the Railway Station.The harbour is a little bit further but still easy to walk to .Very good value for a downtown hotel and staff very friendly and helpful .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Heather C
Hi Cazsper,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
London
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This is a great little hotel with great little rooms. We were with 2 people in a standard room with a queen bed. There was enough room for both of us. If you are looking for a room to lounge in, this wouldn't be the place for you, but if you are looking for a good nights sleep close to EVERYTHING downtown, this is a perfect choice. Though the room was small, it was clean, and had everything I needed. Front desk staff were courteous and efficient.

Room Tip: I didn't realize the window was open, so I found it noisy at first :P Check the window.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 53jan
Hi 53jan,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!

Hope to see you again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Paid $270 dollars for one night for terrible accommodation. Called before leaving to ensure cash deposit was accepted instead of credit card, was told "yes" it was fine but it would be a 200 dollar deposit if it was cash. Travelled hours to arrive to complications with the cash deposit. Had to stay an extra hour due to the roads being closed for the Santa clause parade, which we were not informed about. We were charged an extra 70 dollars for the extra hour. We were not told anything when we checked in, such as check out time, whether or not there was breakfast etc. we were handed keys and that was it. When I told the gentleman at the front desk how unimpressed I was with the accommodation he said "ok". I have never been as disappointed as I was with this stay. The total lack of care is disgusting, this is the hospitality industry. It is incredibly important to ensure every guest leaves happy and there was not even one second of effort to do so. I am furious with this hotel, I will never be back, and I will be absolutely sure to let everyone I know; know how I feel about this place. Terrible. Not recommended.

• Stayed November 2013
7 Thank TaylorBeeser
Hi Taylor,

First I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. All reviews provided both good and bad, or appreciated and very valuable to us for many reasons. These reviews are also very useful for training purposes, so thank you very much.

I am very sorry to hear you did not have a good experience with us, as Guest Satisfaction is a crucial aspect of our day to day operations, and certainly not something we take lightly by any means.

Cash is certainly accepted where Credit or Debit cards are not available. It is standard policy to pay the Room, Tax and $200 deposit upon Check In. Any deposit not used, is returned upon check out. We do also require photo ID at Check In with Cash and Debit payments.

Late check outs of 12pm can certainly be requested, however it is standard that any check outs between 1pm-5pm would require a $55 + tax late check out fee. Therefore, this fee would apply to your 3:20pm check out. I do however, apologize that you had to stay an extra hour waiting out the Santa Clause Parade, and were not aware it was happening.

In regards to the service you experienced, I am disappointed to hear it was not the exceptional Customer Service we strive for. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and have spoken with the Guest Service Agent that Checked you In and Out regarding this. Further training will be provided.

If you are ever back in the area, I hope you would give us the opportunity to show you the positive experience we value. I invite you to contact me directly and I will be happy to make your reservation and ensure you experience The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto in all it's glory!

Safe travels!