“Great for the two of us!”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #57 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Clean, small room. We booked this to attend a Leaf's game at the ACC. It was the perfect walking distance to the game and to the local pubs for after.

There is no hotel parking, but lots nearby.

Front desk was helpful and quick, elevators worked quick.

Our room had a basic bed and bathroom, good for the two of us, but very small. This was all we needed for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank armeegurl
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Hi Armeegurl,

Thank you very much for your review.

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! (And hopefully had fun cheering on the Leafs too!)

If you are ever back in the area, our Executive Rooms do offer more space than our standard (Smart) rooms.

Always feel free to contact me directly if you wish to book a room in the future.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,689)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed here with my son after going to a football game. Hotel is in a great location... reasonable price, staff were great, room was reasonable size, very clean, somewhat modest in décor...beds were comfortable, pillows were good. All in all, nice stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Hi Lingar,

Thank you for your review.

I am very happy to hear you and your son enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you both back soon!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed with a friend for over the November 29th weekend to see P!nk, rooms are very very small, doors didn't lock properly, front desk staff was not very helpful. They referred us to a restaurant which in the lower lobby to get burgers and fries at around 2:30pm, we walked into the "pub" only to be told we are closed until 4pm, went back up to the front desk and they didn't even know the hours. Arrangements were made in advance that my friend would be able to check into the room prior to me arriving and she was given a hassle trying to check in, when they finally agreed she could put something in the room they gave her a room which hadn't even been cleaned yet, in fact there bottles all over the place and the beds were very not even made. On the Saturday morning we were asked by house keeping if they could go in and clean our room as we were leaving, we said sure. By the time we got back the only "cleaning" she did was remove our empty bottles and replace a box of kleenex which was empty when we got there. These rooms are extremely tiny and it is not worth the money, We could hear people taking showers and talking, when the cleaning staff started cleaning rooms in the morning on the Sunday they were so loud you could hear every single word they said, they also like to bang things really hard. Room was extremely hot had thermostat set at 16 and temp in the room was 27, water pressure was lousy in the shower, took 20 mins just to rinse thick hair of conditioner. Floors were not cleaned properly, my white socks were black within a few trips on the hardwood floor. On a positive note, the beds were pretty comfortable, lots of pillows with different levels of firmness, however; I wouldn't waste my time going back to this hotel. Sure it is close to ACC but that is it. With all the construction downtown you have to walk through dark alley's to get anywhere.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
8  Thank Babyleafgirl
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback! I am glad we had an opportunity to speak over email this week. It was a pleasure!

I sincerely apologize for any negative experience you had, and will most definitely follow up with the staff member in question, as well as the housekeeping team for further review and training. I will also pass on your kind words to the staff members mentioned in your email. (I am very pleased to hear you had a positive experience with them).

If you are ever back in the area again, please feel free to contact me directly and I will see that you receive the utmost in customer service.

Happy to hear your best friend was pleasantly surprised, and I hope you both have a very safe and happy New Years!!

All the very best in 2014

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Great spot! Yes - rooms are small! But you are so close to everything it does not matter! Clean modern room with hardwood floor. Priced appropriately! Front desk staff very helpful with directions. Ordered room service breakfast and it was delicious! Would stay here again - mostly for location!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Hi Love2Travel10000,

Thank you for your review!

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly!

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was a pretty good hotel to stay at for the price. The only bad things I have to say are that I didn't realize our room would be so teeny tiny and that you can hear everything in the hallway all night - people talking, walking, doors closing. So I didn't have the best sleep due to people coming and going all night. Its really close to everything and the parking garage beside the hotel only cost $14.00 for 24 hours which is really good for dt Toronto. I would stay here again if I were going out but I would definitely get a bigger room so I wouldn't hear much of the noise.

Room Tip: Bigger rooms = less noise
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank michelle b

Hi Michelle,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am glad that overall, the hotel met your satisfaction. Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes the demand is so high that alternate room types may not be available. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you in a larger room type this time. We do hope we will have an opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Toronto.

Please feel free to contact me directly to make your reservation.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed here for one night. Checkin was efficient, however I didn't get the complimentary upgrade or coupon for the restaurant as per the tripadvisor deal. Maybe it wasn't available. In any case, the room was small but modern. There wasn't much room in the way of workspace -- there was a narrow table by the window that was adequate, with a little ottoman you could sit on. On the plus side, there is ample closet space, ironing board and iron and funky lighting.

The bathroom had great water pressure, and built-in shampoo and conditioner dispensers. However, there is only one soap dispenser located above the sink, so you have to practically get out of the shower to get at the soap if you didn't bring your own.

The walls here are rather thin. In the hallway I could easily hear the machinations of the couple in the room across from me. It didn't bother me but I kinda chuckled.

I had a window in my 7th-floor room overlooking the parapet of the roof and surrounded by office towers. Not that amazing, but it is downtown after all.

I didn't have time to check out the restaurant. Rumour is that they have good beer and sports on the screens.

All in all a pretty decent value, considering the location -- close to all the downtown attractions and transit. If you arrive on via rail or porter, you could pretty much walk to the hotel without the need for a taxi.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi Nebulaboy,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am happy to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. However, I do sincerely apologize you did not receive your upgrade or Pub coupon at check in.

Our Executive Rooms (located Floors 8 thru 12), do offer more space, as well as a writing desk, for more room.

Please feel free to contact me directly next time you are in the area, and I will be sure you receive your upgrade, in a quiet area, as well as a pub coupon so you can enjoy the pub atmosphere this time around!

Thank you again for your valuable review. They are always very much appreciated!

Reviewed 24 November 2013

I've spent there 2 nights for a weekend. THe location is great because close to Union Station bus stop (the city transfer from/to Toronto international airport), close to the waterfront, to the main things too see and to the shopping area of the city. The room was a little bit "tiny" but nice, clean, all I need during a travelling alone week end.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Hi Stefy_RE,

Thank you for your review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

(Tip: If you ever wish to have more space, our Executive rooms have more square footage than the Smart rooms).