“Not a bad hotel”

Ranked #52 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
United Kingdom
“Not a bad hotel”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I stayed here recently on an emergency basis due to some issues with my apartment. At first when I was given the hotel name I was unsure. The lobby itself was nothing special and I think a few updates may make a better first impression.

However the room itself was very clean and modern. There was a hardwood floor and a wall mounted tv. While it wasn't extremely luxurious it was a decent hotel that I wouldn't hesitate to stay in again. Would for sure be a good home base for anyone coming to Toronto to watch the Blue Jays or Leafs play. Its also located a few minutes from Union Station so its very accessible.

Only small complaint I had would be that I wish it had soap bars/shampoo etc rather than the wall mounted dispensers. A minor issue however and easily fixed with a quick trip to a drug store if you prefer these things like I do.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MandaGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

We had a 3 night stay here in mid December in a smart one king room. The check in gentleman was quite abrupt and didn't bother to tell us anything about the hotel (amenities, where the room/elevators were etc). Much the same on check out, not friendly and seemed more interested in getting rid of us as soon as possible.

The room itself was in need of thorough cleaning. The skirting boards were dirty and the corners of the room dusty and hadn't been cleaned in some time. The shower curtain had mould on it, and the tiles were starting to get mouldy too. The heater is very loud, making it difficult to sleep.

The one thing this hotel has going for it is location, close to the Air Canada center (home of the Maple Leafs), the CN Tower (do the edge walk, it is amazing!) and the hockey hall of fame. The shopping areas aren't far either and you can get most of the way around the area underground which is really handy during winter.

Would not stay in this hotel again, even with its good location. The poor service and cleanliness issues are not worth it.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Mike S
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Good morning Mike,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us your review.

Though I am happy to hear you appreciated the prime location of our hotel, I am disappointed to hear of your experience in regards to the service provided, both at Front Desk and in Housekeeping. We do keep both Customer Service and Cleanliness in very high regard here at The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto, so it is alarming to hear of your unfortunate experience.

As mentioned in our messages between each other today, I have shared your review with the Housekeeping Manager, as well as the desk agent you dealt with to provide further training and review. Feedback such as yours is very valuable in helping to constantly improve your (and other members of the travelling public) stay, so thank you.

We hope you will provide us the opportunity in the future to welcome you back and let you experience a true Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto experience!

All the very best in 2014!
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Spent New Years Eve here with a young lady; we chose the Strathcona based on price and location. We paid $230 after tax for the room on NYE, when the other hotels were charging $400+, so we were pretty happy with that.

Yes, the rooms are small. So is the bathroom sink (according to the young lady lol). Yes, the soundproofing is poor. If you're looking to save a few bucks and spend the night in a clean hotel, then I recommend the Strathcona. We spent $2.99 on ear plugs because we read the reviews; we slept all night/morning with no troubles. The bed was extremely comfortable!

Thanks to Ravi at the front desk for helping us with our deposit issue and ensuring we had a room. We would have had to stay at a different hotel if it weren't for his help.

Toronto
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I booked this hotel for night out with my gal pals. I booked a double room, which I discovered upon check in meant two twin beds in a closet sized room. The front desk clerk advised me that boutique meant small and charged me to upgrade the room I expected to have. My second room was nicer with two queen beds and a more comfortable space. The walls are very thin and you can hear everything on your floor, there was also no free wi-fi or anything else to entice me to stay here again. Great location just not worth what you pay for.

2 Thank MelanieJA
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Hi Melanie,

Thank you for providing us with your valuable feedback. We are glad that the hotel cleanliness and location met with your complete satisfaction. Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. We do hope we will have an opportunity to host your stay next time you are in Toronto.

I welcome you to contact me directly to arrange any future bookings.

Have a safe and happy holiday season!

Kind Regards
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Three of my team members and I stayed at the Strathcona during our trip to Toronto for the Bing Conference and Xbox One launch. We were surprised by the amazing customer service at the front desk and we loved the free coffee and tea. We enjoyed the rooms, but realized the two-double bedroom was actually quite larger and more detailed then the king sized room. We really liked the floor to ceiling mirrors for us to get ready. They also had really cool ipod charger stations with music in each room. Great idea! Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Chose the two double bedroom for the larger room and more open concept.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Courtney M
Hi Courtney,

I am very pleased to hear you and your colleagues enjoyed your stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Have a safe & happy holiday season!
Lucknow, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2013

this time we were given a tiny room and there was h air in the bed, then i checked between flat sheet and comforter- more hair, then I checked under the bed scarf and comforter- more hair.

I left a note for the maid but I presume it was thrown out as I never heard any more

we are booked for Feb 14 and after that we will just stay elsewhere I believe as we have had 2 other bad experiences at this hotel and 3 decent ones - a little too chancy

9 Thank Kathi N
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hi Kathi,

I am very sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience with us. I did not get a chance to view your comment card so please accept my apology for not responding to you sooner.

We take our cleanliness and Customer Service very seriously, so to hear you did not experience 100% satisfaction is disappointing. I have shared your review with my Housekeeping and Front Desk teams for further training.

Please contact me directly regarding your Valentines Day reservation and I will be sure you receive the true Strathcona Hotel experience!

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back next month!
ottawa
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We spent one night there. What is good about this place is the location and the rooms are clean. Thats where it ends. As people state...the room is the tiniest room I have ever stayed in. It is basically the size of the bed. To open the closet door we had to stand on the bed in front of the closet...come one...Really!!! That is unacceptable. The internet, they charge $6 per room/per device. Every other place it is included...okay, so not only to they overcharge on the room, but now they nickel and dime the customer that dont actaully walk out after seeing the room! The internet we took for 'one device' was so slow, it would not even open up a browser..really...this is what they charge for???? The hotel lobby offers coffe for $1.75 per cup (nothing complimentary here) The breakfast we bought was $15 per person...It was okay, but no where near worth the $30 we spent. All in all...if this is the best deal in the city, then increase your budget and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: there is no good room....you will always feel like you are sleeping in the hallway.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
12 Thank mrsbeasely
AshokNarula, General Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Hi Mrs Beasely,

Its unfortunate that your experience at the hotel was not to your entire satisfaction. Our hotel offers a 100% Guest Satisfaction guarantee and we would do everything possible to correct any issue that you were unsatisfied with. Unfortunately we did not learn of the challenges you incurred during your stay. Wishing you a happy holiday season!

Kind Regards