“"Feel wealthy when you're not!"”

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #49 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Brantford, Canada
“"Feel wealthy when you're not!"”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My husband and I were very fortunate when we discovered the Strathcona Hotel...right in the center of Toronto. This busy and vital city is a wonderful way to just get away from everything and discover it's fabulous diversity. (from fabulous shows, sports, a huge variety of ethnic foods, markets, one of a kind and funky shops, China Town, cultural adventures and on and on and on) The only problem for us was....How could we afford to pay for two nights in down- town Toronto? The Strathcona Hotel! THAT'S HOW WE COULD AFFORD it! (just swear you won't tell a soul!) This treasure is a wonderful surprise! Clean, friendly, very accommodating, and they provide everything a guest could possibly want for a relaxing stay, and probably a host of other goodies that I haven't thought of. The best part of this hotel is their staff. From the front desk to the housekeeper (who always seems to be busy and available on the floor if you need anything!) This is a must try! I just hope that when it becomes really popular the prices don't go up! If anything isn't up to your standards....just ask!!! Don't write a bad review!

Room Tip: All I can suggest is that if you are not satisfied with your room (for ANY reason!) go to the front...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Linda O
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hi Linda,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We appreciate any and all reviews, as they show us where we are thriving and where we can improve as well.

I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed everything to do with your stay!

It is true that we have a Satisfaction Guarantee, so if there is anything we could do to make your stay more comfortable, always ask!

Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in the area.

Hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed in this hotel in May 2014. The first room I was given was dirty, you could see the dirt build up in the blinds. It did not look clean. I then decided to upgrade my room, which I found to be a lot cleaner. However, when I lifted the toilet seat, I found urine under the seat. There was a long black hair in the towels. You could see the pipes under the sink in the bathroom, which looked dirty. On my last day there, my train left at 6:30 pm at night, so I wanted to see if I could get a later checkout. I heard the man at the desk the day before tell a guest he could extend his check out time to 1:00 with no charge. When we went he told us 12:00,was latest and anything after would cost $50.00.
The location of the hotel was great! Walking distance to many attractions and restaurants. If I were to stay in Toronto again, I would pay a little more money to get something cleaner, where I would feel more comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ashleyalex2107
Hi Ashleyalex2107,

First and foremost I would like to apologize for any negative experience you had while staying with us. Though I am happy you enjoyed your prime location, we strive for excellence in all areas, Customer Service and Cleanliness obviously being two of the areas most focused on. So to read your review was quite disappointing.

If you could please email me with your check out date, as well as the name your room was under as I was not made aware of your situation, and would like to further investigate. This will allow me to verify certain staff members on at the time to provide further training where necessary.

An extended check out up until 1pm is in fact at no charge. Between 1pm to 3pm is $50. And anything there after is a full nights charge. Once I hear from you I will also be able to verify if indeed a late-fee refund is due.

If you are ever back in Toronto, please feel free to contact me directly, and I would be more than happy to offer you an Upgraded room, so you can experience The Strathcona Hotel Downtown Toronto as we intend it to be!

Hope to speak with you soon.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This hotel beats the pricier hotels in the vicinity. It is smaller and therefore not as frantic as the larger properties in the area. The rooms are small - but so are the basic rooms at the Fairmont Royal York which is right across the street. Green P parking is just a few doors down - really convenient. It is a very quick walk to the Convention Centre and near many restaurants as well as shopping. Union Station is also within a quick walk. We found the hotel staff to be friendly and extremely helpful. We're in Toronto several times a year and have stayed at all of the nearby properties. This one is our new favourite. We will be returning to The Strathcona on our next visit!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank PROSCALER
Hi Proscaler,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed 6 May 2014

So, I pre-booked in October, the room I was given didn't even have a view just other rooms without views either. So much for pre-booking. I got free wi-fi first night with a code and than had to pay $6 the next day, the code I was given changed. My TV was still in analog and could barely see some of the channels. On my last night, I was given a torn/ripped towel, how many hotels do you know still re-use them? Some of the staff couldn't even give you directions, "That's too far to walk, take cab", hello I'm here for a half marathon. On the bright side it was close to a lot of amenities and some staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view to the street, otherwise you feel caged in.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Glen H
Hi Glen,

Thank you very much for leaving your review!

Some guests that may be very noise sensitive prefer our inside facing rooms, whereas other quests prefer facing the street. We tend to have a fairly even mix of requests. If you are ever back in Toronto, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room, and I will ensure you receive a room facing the street.

Our Wi-Fi options are either $6 per day, $10 for three days or $15 for a week.

Regarding the TV and Towels, I am sorry I was not made aware of this as we certainly would not knowingly put a torn towel in the room, and all of our Televisions are in fact digital.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Warmest regards,

Meg Brooke
Front Office Manager
fom@thestrathconahotel.com
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel just before the new year in December 2013 and don't have a bad thing to say about it.

There is absolutely no better location in Toronto where a tourist would want to stay. It's a 2 minute walk from Union Station, about 5 minutes to the CN Tower, Rogers Centre and the new Ripley's aquarium and less than a 10 minute walk to the Air Canada Centre. The best part, it was across the street from a Tim Hortons, which as a Canadian who's been living in the UK for 8 years, this was a huge plus for me!

The hotel itself was super clean with comfortable beds where we had a great night's sleep. Luckily, we weren't looking for space - as we certainly didn't get much. We got what we need though; a nice place to rest our tired heads!

I'd definitely recommend this hotel, it doesn't get much better!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Elabela82
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Hi Elabela82,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the train station, which is virtually across the road. This hotel is in a central location, easy walking distance to most attractions. The downfall to this hotel is that breakfast is not included in the price. There's a Tim Horton's across the road which is where we ate. Our room was small but clean and comfortable and the bathroom also clean. The tower is behind the hotel by a couple of blocks and there is Steam Whistle brewery across the road from it. The lobby to the hotel is very nice and it's an affordable option in the heart of Toronto.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cajhm
Hi Cajhm,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.

If you are ever back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to arrange your stay.

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This small hotel is located very close to Union Station in downtown Toronto. It is very close to CBC television station, the CN tower, shopping underground and the Eaton's center, as well as lots of restaurants and theaters. The price is very good, the rooms are small but clean. Very basic amenities, but sufficient for a short stay. Because the hotel is small, you are close to road level, and the noise (garbage trucks etc) was very loud at night. I wouldn't have been impressed if I was paying the Royal York prices across the street and have to listen to that racket all night. Good value for it's location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank beachy026
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Hi Beachy026,

Thank you for leaving your review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed our location, value and cleanliness!

I am sorry to hear you experienced noise during the night though. As a future tip, our Executive Rooms are on the higher floors (Floors 8-12), and you can request a room not facing the street.

Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are in Toronto, and I will be sure you receive a quiet room.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope to welcome you back soon!