The Strathcona Hotel
US$330
US$301
  • Breakfast included
1,727 results
All reviewsunion stationyork streetgreat locationcn towerrooms are smalltim hortons across the streetair canada centrerogers centreroyal yorkexecutive roomwithin walking distanceshort staywi fihockey hall of fameheart of downtownbed was comfortablefront desk staff
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed in this hotel in the beginning of May and from the get-go I received excellent service, from the lovely young man, I think was named Scott who checked me in to the lady who gave me the option to check out a little later a couple days later I think was called Sillia. Even when I got up to the room I was surprised, 5 minutes after entering the room I heard a nock on the door and there was a woman from housekeeping asking me if everything was alright with the room and if I needed anything else. What else can I say but excellent hospitality? Overall staff was very friendly, and I knew that the rooms were going to be small, but when I only slept and showered there it really didn't matter as the hotel was able to offer me very competitive pricing for a hotel downtown.

I found the rooms to be very clean as well as the whole hotel and whenever I was looking it seemed to be that there was always a housekeeping lady around the corner, which was good to my opinion. The hotel is in the close vicinity to many of Toronto's great attractions I was unable to visit due to the fact that I was in meetings all days, but I did get to do some quite sightseeing.

The pub at the hotel was lovely as well, had great servers and great food for a reasonable price. I would DEFINITELY stay here again and recommend this hotel to anyone in my company.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Pete W
Reviewed 21 May 2014

A great place to stay if you want a downtown hotel that is reasonable, clean and a great location. It does not have a lot of atmosphere but good if you just want a place to stay overnight. Good value for the money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gay C
Reviewed 21 May 2014

One night here was one night too much. Rude check in - computer down so unable to get code to use wifi and the woman barked at me. Bed uncomfortable and polyester cushions felt icky. Warning on bathroom wall about slippery bath - but you have to call for a rubber bath mat! And there was no bar soap to use in shower and the wall mounted liquid soap container was near the sink - but not near the shower!!!!! Talk about dangerous to get in and out of slippery shower with liquid soap in my hand (over and over again).
The rooms are really small - no carpet and just 4 hangars in small closet - small TV above desk made it difficult to watch from bed and the system kept logging off, interrupting the program I was watching (had to go back to start screen and find channel again and again and again).
Yes, the location is fine although with road closures in this area of downtown Toronto it is not that convenient to get cabs etc. BUT there are way better hotels in downtown Toronto that don't feel like a bargain basement experience with a dose of rudeness to ruin anything that might be a welcome.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Travellingnurse50
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Friend and I went for a one night stay for a concert. Hotel staff very friendly. Rooms are really small, but it was good for one night, wouldnt want to do anymore than that. Beds are not very comfortable either. Location is amazing, a five minute walk from union station and about ten minutes to massey hall area. Would definetly come back to this hotel for one night stays, mainily for the location and the staff are wonderful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Paige M
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Hi Paige,

Thank you very much for your review!

I am very happy to hear you and your friend enjoyed our location and service!

If you are back in the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to provide you with an upgrade so you can experience one of our larger rooms.

Hope to welcome you both back soon!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel was a great choice since we wanted to be close to many main downtown attractions and districts. Very small rooms, but comfortable and cozy and the room amenities were nice. The staff was very pleasant and helpful/knowledgeable.

We choose to self-park. Definitely park in the parking structures that are green in color (there is one within 3-5 minute walk from the hotel). The red ones are higher in price and further away from the hotel.

The downside of the hotel location is the construction. During our stay, it started at 7am. Not good if you wanted to sleep in some. We stayed during the week so there wasn't as many guests in the hotel, and the hotel / outside noise was quiet at night.

The rooms had a wood laminate flooring....the downside was that you could hear your neighbors walking around in their room if they had their shoes on.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DH_Traveler01
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hi DH_Traveler01,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the comfort of the rooms, the location and our superb staff!

Though there is currently construction happening throughout Toronto, while the city prepares for the PanAm games in 2015, I am pleased to hear you were not disturbed at night.

If you are ever back in Toronto, please feel free to contact me directly to arrange your room and I will be more than happy to block you in a quiet room.

We hope to welcome you back again soon!