“Excellent hotel for its price/value.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Strathcona Hotel

The Strathcona Hotel
Ranked #53 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Manila, Philippines
“Excellent hotel for its price/value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Located a few blocks near downtown Toronto's top tourist spots such as CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Rogers Center, you save a LOT of money from walking instead of paying transportation expenses. A myriad of affordable and high end restaurants are also within walking distance, such as The Keg, Marche's, The Canoe, Ruth's Chris... There's even a 24 hour Tim Horton's just in front of the hotel!

The staff, especially Ronald from the front desk are especially nice and accommodating. My only complaints on the hotel is that the non-executive rooms are a bit small (but manageable), no in-room fridge and the ice machine is located only on the 3rd floor, plus wifi internet is not free. HOWEVER internet is wifi enabled, can be accessed from both the lobby and in the privacy of your room and is 15~18 dollars per 7 days and it's FAST. All these are just trivial, petty, minor inconveniences that can be easily overlooked, especially for the low low rates per night. I stayed for 12 days. The rooms are clean, and the housekeepers are friendly and make good conversationalists.

If you are having a convention or just taking a tour of Toronto I highly recommend the Strathcona, and if given the opportunity to come back to Toronto I would choose this over any 4star hotel anytime. The conveniences, location and affordable price are just too hard to pass up.

Room Tip: The vending machines and ice machine is on the 3rd floor. If you want try to request your room to be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was a last minute booking that my girlfriend and I made. Mainly because we were price conscious, and also because the location did not really matter to us as long as it was fairly close to the harbour. Luckily, Strathcona is very close to harbourfront as well as many great restaurants and attractions. The only cons that it has is the construction around it (which is unforeseeable) as well as the room size. Other than that it was practical for us since we were only there to sleep. There is no view in the room we had, which was on the second floor. Staff is quick and very kind.

Tip - parking is extremely expensive, just like in any hotel downtown. Parking was cheap right to the left of the hotel entrance, its a self park below ground. Rate is cheapest on the weekend and in the evening after 5 or 6.

Room Tip: Park in the parking lot to the left of the hotel, much cheaper on the weekends.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SimonFed
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed 1 night at the Strathcona in order to attend a concert at the Molson. Overall I was a happy guest. The staff was very helpful, everything we needed was close by: Just up the road we had dinner at an Italian restaurant and drinks at an Irish Pub to follow. Cab Fair was low cost due to the close distances to and from venues. What I can say is true from other reviews is that yes the rooms are small, yes there is a lot of construction near the site, yes walls are thin a lot of noise through the hotel can be heard. I'm very glad I read other folks reviews before our stay. When I was in the elevator during our stay another guest made a comment stating "Now he knew what it was like to live in a 3rd world country" and that "he heard everyone on the floor take a shower and flush the toilet that morning!" So its all what you make of it! I knew what to expect going in to it, for being in the center of it all in Toronto there is not much to complain about. Lots to do rather then stay in your room anyways! Great hospitality, would recommend!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALynn65
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Hi ALynn65,

Thank you very much for your review!

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the location and staff! Hope you enjoyed your concert as well!

Our inventory includes 9 different room types ranging from a 1 Twin to Two Queen Bedded rooms. We try our best to describe the room types as accurately as possible on our website supported with several photos of each room type. Normally we would offer an upgrade at check in time but sometimes during peak periods the demand is so high that alternate room types may not be available. We are sorry we were not able to accommodate you in a larger room type this time.

If you are ever back in Toronto, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be happy to provide you an upgrade in one of our quieter rooms.

Thank you again, and we hope to welcome you back again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed one night in Toronto to attend my son's graduation celebration and I loved the place. 2 min from the train station. Centrally located. Walking distance from theatres, Thomson Hall, fine restaurants...Renovated and very comfy bedroom. Linen, bed and pillow felt like home.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank maria-grazia b
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here while attending a wedding in Toronto. Location was great in terms of walking to shopping, downtown attractions, BUT due to construction in the area, driving was a pain. We parked in the underground parking lot next door and left our car there the entire weekend, but upon leaving, it took a while to navigate back to the front of the hotel to pick up my friend and our luggage due to one-way streets and detours. The room was very clean but you can hear a bit of construction/traffic noise on the lower floors during the day. The rooms (at least ours) have no carpeting, just laminate flooring, if that makes any difference to you.

Room Tip: try to get a room on a higher floor to reduce street noise, but it is really only during the day
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Kingston, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed 2 nights at the Strathcona while attending a conference at the Toronto Convention Center. The room was small, but clean and had everything I needed. It was less than a 10 min. walk from Convention Center and right downtown near lots of restaurants and stores. Sound-proofing could be improved. I woke up at 3am first night to loud voices in the hall but that was minimized with earplugs the 2nd night.

Great value. I hope to return next trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from elevator.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Meg B, Front Office Manager at The Strathcona Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your review!

I am pleased to hear you found you had all the necessary conveniences and amenities in your room.

Next time you are in the area, please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure you have an interior facing room. And if you are a light sleeper, I will provide some earplugs as well. =)

Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Happy Travels.
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is my "Go-To" hotel in Toronto. The rates are competitive, the rooms are very clean and well-maintained and the staff is always pleasant. They will store your luggage on your arrival and departure days. What more could you want? Oh yes, a LOCATION which is subway- convenient and Island- airport ideal! There is a bit of construction in the area right now but it did not interfere with my stay in any way.

Room Tip: I usually like to face York Street but this time asked for a quiet room. Theatre district is within...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Hi Lois,

Thank you so very much for your review!

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Enjoy your summer!