“Kids only ”

Ranked #36 of 532 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Ontario Science Centre has welcomed more than 50 million visitors since it opened in 1969, implementing an interactive approach now adopted by science centres around the world. Today, the Science Centre is an international leader in free-choice science learning and a key contributor to Ontario’s education and innovation ecosystem, offering lifelong learning through hands-on, engaging experiences. The Ontario Science Centre is an agency of the Government of Ontario funded in part by the Ontario Ministry of Tourism, Culture and Sport. As a publicly assisted organization, the Science Centre relies on generous individuals, corporations and foundations who share a commitment to science and education for additional operating support.
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Not a place unless you have kids. Lots of wasted space. Most exhibits are out of date. for being the Ontario science centre figured it would be a lot better. There are a lot better science centres in Ontario for less.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,532)

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I loved it! You need at least a day to see everything. Great place for the entire family! A lot of shows (chemistry "What's the matter", Planetarium, etc) . I liked the most the department about tolerance and about giving birth. Really worth seeing. There are a lot of games to play for kids, as well.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is a great place to take your kids, though as an adult, I found the ROM more interesting. It is a great place to go and inspire curiousity. I remember the impact it had (and still has) on me as a child and I hope that it will have the same impact on my son!

1  Thank TheBlains
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

We are always looking for little gems that are quiet and fun places to go to on week ends with our 6 and 2yr old. The science centre is in a good location (not hard to get to if you have a car). Parking is 10$ - but we have a membership so it is free. We just moved to a Toronto from Calgary where we visited the Telus Spark on a regular basis. So this is our "new" Science Centre. As well, we travel a lot so we get to utilize our membership in places all over Canada and the USA (with all the options for shows and fun centres, the membership pays for itself quite quickly). The lobby is on the main floor - we haven't seen any movies here yet but they have a good selection of times and titles. Yes the entire place seems like a concrete cell block with 6 levels of exhibits that are clearly marked on each level. The place is HUGE...but the area we spend most of our time is the kids zone...what a fun place. I like that it is divided into 2 areas. The water area could use more plastic aprons and more foot stools. But other than that both spaces are incredible fun for kids to explore. The Marketplace is by far our kids' favourite to visit every time. There are a lot of chairs and tables on this floor and it is easy to sit and have a snack or lunch without having to line up and buy something from the cafe. There are ample elevators and the place is spacious for strollers and running toddlers. We haven't eaten at the cafeteria or visited the gift shop yet. I appreciate that the gift shop is tucked away so we can spend our money on the membership rather than the numerous souvenirs my kids whine for me to buy. Thank you for keeping the sanity in our family. The hours of operation are excellent. We are looking at registering our daughter for a day camp in the summer. There is always someone in a lab coat close by in case you need directions or help. The place is clean but is showing its age. I am guessing it feels brighter in summer --- this is a good place to visit with kids of all ages - we look forward to many more visits this year :^)

1  Thank Barebums
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My husband and I visited in November 2013 and were disappointed and spent about an hour here and left. We went here a few years back to see a Titanic exhibit - which was great...and the standing exhibits at the center were just an extra. But to go JUST to see the standing exhibits - so not worth it. Tie your visit to a special exhibit you want to see. That was not the case when we visited there in November 2013.
To our surprise - many of these standing exhibits from our first visit were STILL THERE!
When we were there - there were school kids (middle school) running around like a bunch of fools. Hard to enjoy the exhibits ourselves.
If you have young kids - this might be fun. But, not really for adults or teens - unless there is an exhibit of interest.