“One of the best science centres I have seen”

Ontario Science Centre
Ranked #71 of 535 things to do in Toronto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: An iconic cultural attraction, the Ontario Science Centre is a global leader in lifelong learning, welcoming more than 52 million visitors since opening its doors in 1969. As a convenor of public dialogue on technology, science and society, we provide collaborative experiences, support 21-century learning and spark youth innovation. The Science Centre conceives, designs and builds world-class exhibitions; we are dedicated to community outreach and serve as a vital link in Ontario's innovation and education ecosystems.
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This science centre goes out of their way to make exhibits that are hands-on for kids. There's also several shows (not referring to Imax) throughout the day to change it up a bit - the Planetarium shows in particular are fantastic but you may fall asleep in the bean bag chairs. There's a lot to see and do here so plan to stay for at least a few hours (not including the Imax shows).

The food is reasonable compared to other area attractions in both quality and price but there is a good variety available.

If you go during a week day be prepared for the school groups that run wild.

The price of admission is good. You can also find coupons in the Attractions Ontario magazine that is available in every hotel (20% off) and I'm sure there's other discounts available elsewhere but the full price is still worth it.

2  Thank B-l-a-i-r_82
Write a ReviewReviews (1,557)
All reviews
in 71 reviews
"cafeteria"
in 49 reviews

Reviewed 3 June 2014

My wife and I took our two young children here and we had a great time. There a many, many interactive exhibits and hands on models for the kids to play and experiment with. The layout of the Science Centre is open and easy to navigate. The kids had a blast before we even got to the kids area. In the kids area , there is a giant water table , fishing rods, toys , balls , etc. My only complaint is that museum closes at 4:00 pm during the week , which is pretty early if coming from out of town. We will definitely return but we will make sure we come earlier next time.

1  Thank R0ADTRIPPER77
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I'm almost at the point of "seen one science centre, seen them all" phase of my life. There was certainly lots to see. Although the day we went was busy, busy, busy. We had a rather bland lunch in the cafeteria and had to "circle" the tables for a few minutes before one opened up. There was a "dated" feel from many of the exhibits. There was certainly lots for the "under 9 set"...but not as much for older kids and teens. I certainly don't feel the need to go back again. That being said I do think young families would have a lot of fun here.

3  Thank brandylcat
Reviewed 31 May 2014

An amazing experience! I was able to enjoy lots of expositions there! I highly recommend to spend more than one day there!

1  Thank Leonardo T
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The wildlife in the area have adapted to dumpster-diving as a means of survival. Be cautious around the Trash receptacles around the exterior of the Ontario Science Center... there might be a raccoon inside! I mentioned the raccoon "problem" to the ticket desk person but she said "they are always around... they (the raccoons) usually have a pattern and patrol the garbage cans a few times a day". They must be popular... the gift shop sells stuffed raccoon toys. I would think that the raccoons may be a safety issue, but maybe in Canada it's no big deal.

So... you might be asking "why would you give a FIVE rating to this place?". Well once you go inside... the Ontario Science Center is an amazing place to explore. Not just for kids, there are exhibits that adults can learn from as well. If you are an ASTC reciprocal membership member, the admission is free... well, the cost of $10. parking. A great deal.

I'll have to admit, some aspects of the Ontario Science Center have gone downhill since my first visit in the mid 1980s, but there are also some newer additions that counter-balance this decline.

The IMAX theater (extra cost), is one of the best in the world. This IMAX is the true-360 dome type of theater with the best audio system possible. The preview of the technology behind the dome screen before the movie is always fun to see.

Do not miss a visit to the Ontario Science Center. It's a "no-brainer" decision... actually, your brain will be filled with useful knowledge at this place if you pay attention to the exhibits.

1  Thank flintjarvis