“Very Poor Service and Quality”

Howard Johnson Inn Toronto Downtown West
Ranked #124 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I attended this hotel for a wedding. Booked a room MONTHS in advance only to find that they decided to change the room type on me which could not accommodate my party. They place smelled like absolute filth, and there was no elevator. A terrible experience for my first time at a H.J. The only good thing was the friendliness of the staff and the blueberry waffles in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
3  Thank Anthony I

Reviewed 13 October 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank Laurier T
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I spent the night in Toronto for Nuit Blanche with a couple friends from school. This hotel was inexpensive and clean, there's a street car stop right in front of it that can easily get you to and from the downtown core, free breakfast and parking. The staff was nice. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Rachel T
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I stayed here for one night with a couple of friends. We only needed a room for sleeping (weren't going to be spending much time at the hotel) so we figured this room would suffice.
Wrong. The staff is basically non existent, our lights didn't work (nor did they care to fix it) and the beds were dirty. We didn't complain too much, as we spent minimal time actually at the hotel. However, I do not advise anyone book this hotel if staying for more than one night.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank JulieK089
Reviewed 29 September 2013

This place was rubbish, and if we didn't need a room at short notice we would never have stayed here. The staff boarded on incompetent and not interested, the rooms were small and cramped if clean enough. Aside from access to the street cars, the location is terrible also.
Thankfully there was a McDonalds next door for coffee.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dan B
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The hotel is dirty and smelly. They wouldn't give us the option of a non smoking room. There is barely enough room to walk in the rooms with two beds crammed into the corner of the room. I found a bed bug in my bed as I was falling asleep. I called the front desk and showed it to them. Manager denied that it was in fact a bed bug. We had no other options for accomodations, so we stayed another night. That night there were people across the hall yelling and screaming and bumping into the walls all night and into the morning. Called the front desk numerous times, but they did nothing about it. I got very little sleep. Several times I saw prostitues and johns coming in and out. I would not expect this from a semi-respectable chain like HOJO. The location is good, except that the streetcar railyard is adjacent to the hotel which is very loud 24/7. Would not recommend to anyone. Not even in a pinch.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank LJG46
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend, and I stayed here for just one night. It was run down, and stunk. My girlfriend got some nasty bed bug bites. Luckily I didn't. They lost our booking for a non smoking room, and that sucked. It masked the dirty smell of the first two floors at least. Thankfully we stayed on points. I would never pay for it. Such a good location, ruined by the poor quality of the hotel itself.

• Stayed: September 2013