“Great location!”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #48 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn 3 times and always pleased. The location is perfect downtown Toronto. This hotel was renovated recently. The front desk staff are very nice and welcoming. The rooms are small but renovated. Brand new bathroom with shower only. New carpet in the room and bed are very comfortable. The WIFI work well in the room. There is plenty of restaurant and shopping around.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear lallice,
We sincerely appreciate your posting on TripAdvisor. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for staying with us.
Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I was in Toronto last weekend (11/9/13) after a 10 year absence and was eager to see and visit Toronto again. I was staying on the 7th floor (I am certain that the hotel staff know what this is about) and a family staying with a few rooms on the 7th floor were making so much noise I could not get any sleep, from 9:15 PM to 4:00 AM. They were so stupid and ignorant, did not care about other people on vacation on this floor. I slept about 2 hours and I was leaving on Sunday the 10th. I know that the reception had many complaints but did not act till 4:00 AM. I have a very sour taste about Toronto now and especially about Holiday Inn. I strongly recommend avoiding this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
George D, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Jack S,
We greatly appreciate your posting on TripAdvisor. We value your comments and would like to thank you for staying with us. We are very sorry to hear that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort during your stay and would like to extend our most sincere apologies for this. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

If this review was simply for the room, I'd rate it much lower. However, the IDEAL location totally is worth the stars. Wonderful convenient location to restaurants, subway, Eaton Center, Dundas Square, Ryerson University, fast food ... can't get much better! Everything - literally everything - is within a short walking distance of this hotel. Parking - around back of the hotel - is expensive ($25) - and truly, a car is NOT necessary when here - but that's to be expected for an urban large city center hotel. It's self-park, so at least you don't have to pay a valet. Front desk staff is pleasant and they recognized my Priority Club membership with bottled water and newspaper, and robe/slippers in the room. Don't expect it and don't really need it, but it is a nice touch. Paid $155 CAD + tax with CAA for room with 2-double beds. That's probably about normal for a mid-range city-center hotel like this. However, the room itself is much more of a 2-star. Teeny tiny super "cosy" (small) room ... but again, that's pretty normal for a hotel where real estate is at a premium, like downtown. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. Surprisingly enough, I didn't even try the Wi-Fi which is unusual for me - the location was so convenient I wasn't even in the room for long enough! Neither did I turn on the TV...so I can't verify if either of them even worked. TV (flat screen) is in a bit of an unusual position along a side credenza ... but suppose that is because of the small room size. It was late when we got back in and went to bed, but it was very quiet - sleep was not disturbed. And like I said, the beds were comfortable. Bathroom is small, but up-to-date. No bathtub in my room (though I've never in my life taken a bath in a hotel, I can't imagine ever doing so) but shower with glass doors. Water seemed to be leaking out of the shower when I was done, had to wipe it up with a towel...think perhaps the doors were not aligned or didn't close properly. Not my fault, really! There is a restaurant, lounge, and gym - didn't try any. Attached to a Starbucks so got my coffee there in the morning (though there was a coffee maker in the room) and there are a whole bunch of places to eat/drink in super close proximity so you won't starve if you don't want to stay sequestered in the hotel. Get out and explore! Lobby has an office-tower like atmosphere but I was served quickly on both check-in and check-out. One big negative - the room was SO HOT - thermometer was cranked up when we arrived - and even though I turned the heat right down as soon as we got in the room, it was still too warm all night.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear clamc40,
Thank you very much for your posting on TripAdvisor. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for staying with us. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are well located and our staff do their best to recognize every IHG reward member.
Thank you once again and we look forward to your next visit to Toronto.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

There is no doubt that the transformation of this property (previously a Days Inn) is making big improvements in the cleanliness, look and atmosphere of such a well-located hotel, but some of the technological advances need explanation, further work or both.

After checking in, my companion and I were unable to reach the 12th floor by elevator until a helpful patron explained that our room plastic (I refuse to call them keys) had to be tapped like a GO train Presto card to inform the elevator that we were, in fact, legitimate guests. A hint from the front desk staff would have been appreciated.

Trying to test how up-to-date management was with the requirement that all TV remotes have an instant closed captioning button (thus avoiding the misery of drilling down through many layers of menus...), pressing "CC" abruptly sent the screen to channel 90 with nary a caption in sight.

Wanting to call down to the front desk in order to alert the noise police that the room next to ours was having a full-swing, after-hours party, the ear--once dial tone was duly heard--was rewarded with an electronic siren call no matter which selection (operator, dining room, etc.) was pushed.

Thankfully, someone else managed to intervene with the ruckus, allowing peace and quiet to be restored.

Let's hope our next visit will be less of a work in progress and more of a stay to be remembered.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank S. James W

Dear James W,
Thank you very much for your posting on TripAdvisor. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for staying with us. We have noted that you experienced inconvenience and discomfort during your stay and would like to extend our most sincere apologies for this.
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel and replace your bad experience with one that reflects our true standards.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

This hotel is very well located, near major Toronto downtown attractions but that is about the only good point I have to mention. Breakfast was good but for other meals the restaurant is just average and the rooms are small for the price paid. Perhaps because of location the hotel was crowded, with impact on quality of services. Wifi service had major issues in both quality of signal in the place my room was located and was clearly below the required bandwidth capacity. When I complained at the front desk I got the response that the problem was with my device. There was a fire alarm one night and I found the instructions confusing. Fortunately it was a false positive. In short my rate is just average.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jacinto M

Dear JacintoMendes,
Thank you very much for your posting on TripAdvisor. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for staying with us. We have noted that you experienced inconvenience with the internet services and would like to inform you that we have in place a better service now.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed in room #1024 and I would not stay in it again. The mattress had such bad dips into the centre that it was impossible to get comfortable or sleep. The location of the hotel is great (10 min. max. walk to Eaton's Centre) however, it must be very close to a fire station as there were numerous firetrucks and sirens whizzing past while we were there on a Tuesday night. Loud even on the 10th floor and very disturbing to your peace and quiet. Pool looked very nice although we ended up not trying it out. Rooms are very small, but lovely to have a small fridge and safe. We had a king size bed but there was also a large lounge chair beside bed which made getting into the closet very difficult. Would be better to get rid of chair. Chair to use at desk is so close to the end of the bed that you trip on the wheels sticking out. Wireless internet was spotty at best. Tried to complete check-out on the tv but this function was not working. Also, wanted closed captioning on tv due to hearing impairment, but this function was also not available to tv was useless. Bathroom was very clean, but so, so small! You couldn't have 2 people in there at the same time getting ready. As you get out of shower to dry off, your towel is right on top of the toilet! However, water was nice and hot and good pressure. Overall, disappointing.

Room Tip: avoid room 1024 as mattress has huge dips in the centre!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear skol7,
Thank you very much for your posting on TripAdvisor. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for staying with us. We have noted that you experienced inconvenience with the comfort of the mattress, the size of the room, the noise of the area and would like to extend our most sincere apologies for this.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed for a weekend get-away with friends. The room was very small, the bathroom was renovated making it clean and updated.
The location was handy for what we wanted to do. We went to the Distillery District for a tour-a $15 cab ride or a 45 min walk-the locals said it wasn't walkable:)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Deb Dornan- B,
Thank you very much for your posting on TripAdvisor. We greatly value your comments and would like to thank you for staying with us. We are pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us and you had a chance to visit the Distillery District.
Thank you kindly and we look forward to your next visit to Toronto.