“Nice room - Convenient Store”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #48 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Houston, Texas
“Nice room - Convenient Store”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hotel room was pretty standard, no complaints there. Sadly, I my window looked out into the middle of the buildings but I wasn't in there very much. The meeting rooms were nicely appointed. My favorite thing was the market right below the hotel. I bought some great fresh fruit and when I wasn't feeling good, I was able to get a delicious bowl of fresh soup. I know the market was not connected to the hotel officially but the closeness of it made my trip very enjoyable. I did not have time to take advantage of it but there was also a conveniently located spa.

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for a room that looks out onto the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear kcandedgardo,
Thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to hear that we have met your expectations during your last visit. We are very well located within minutes from College Subway station and very close to Loblaws Market. We are glad to hear about your satisfaction regarding our meeting rooms. Once again, thank you for your business and we look forward to your next stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Maputo, Mozambique
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Rooms are oddly shaped with large beds which means there is no floor space- and nowhere else to put a suitcase. Air con is noisy and does not work properly. It's clean and the bathroom was small but ok.

Room Tip: I think they are all the same
Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear bluemongoose,
Thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We greatly appreciate your comments about the Hotel and we would like to extend our most sincere apologies for your discomfort with the size of the room and the noise of the A/C. Thank you one more time for your business and we hope to welcome you back.
Toronto
Reviewed 10 May 2014

There are certain things you come to expect when you stay in a well established main stream hotel. Holiday Inn was one of the pioneers in setting chain-wide standards. It was this background of expectation that had me bewildered when I arrived for my stay at this hotel.

First, parking is a challenge. There is no drive up car port to check in or unload. The hotel door is directly on a busy sidewalk and street; no stopping for sure. The car park is behind the hotel on another block. Not convenient for loading and unloading your vehicle.

The lobby is pretty enough, however the real shock comes when you go upstairs. The room corridors are very narrow (no kidding - my shoulders almost touched both walls while walking down them. My "king superior" room was super tiny. My last cruise had bigger cabin. Barely a foot from the bed to the wall and only a wall mounted desk/credenza under the window. The washroom was also tiny; a beveled door and tiny vanity - think motorhome sized washroom.

The room was decorated well and was clean, but the size was a shocker - not conducive for anything more than a quick sleep. Speaking of sleep the constant sirens and cars was deafening. The hotel does not have very soundproof windows.

Buyer beware - this hotel would be well suited for Europe or Japan but very unexpected for downtown Toronto.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Mark H,
Thank you for reviewing our Hotel on Tripadvisor. We regret we could not meet your full satisfaction regarding the size of our rooms. We are centrally located close to many important venues in the city. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very pleased with the location. Check in was quick, even though we were early. Staff very professional and helpful. The concierge booked our hop on hop off bus for us and advised on other things to do. The bedroom was ample for us and every thing was very clean. Excellent shower and plenty of hot water. We didn't eat here so can't comment on that. Small gift shop in the lobby sell just about everything including postcards that already has postage on them so you don't need to get stamps. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lizzie0909,
Thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We sincerely appreciate your time to leave us an excellent feedback about your stay with us. We are very pleased that we have met your expectations and we hope we can welcome you back in the near future.
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Myself, my husband & 14 year old son stayed for 2 nights here. There is underground parking that costs $25 per night. The reception of the hotel looked lovely, staff very efficient however the rooms were so small we felt claustrophobic. We had a lot of luggage as were travelling around a lot & by the time the suitcases & we were in the room you could hardly move. There was tea & coffee making facilities in the room which was a plus. It was very noisy as this hotel is used by aircrew, business people etc who were leaving at all hours. The bathroom was small but fine. Guess as this was a city hotel then we should not have been surprised by rooms. The wifi worked ok in reception but we couldn't get it to work in our room. The hotel is well situated, we walked to the CN Tower, The Path.
We ate at the restaurant in the hotel both nights, the food, waitress & service were all lovely & very reasonably priced. There was a small swimming pool & gym, the pool was freezing. It would have been nice if there was a sauna, Jacuzzi & steam room as there are in Holiday Inn hotels in England.
Overall although the reception etc looked lovely we felt the rooms let tis hotel down.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank claire s
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Dear claire s,
Thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor. Please accept our most sincere apologies regarding your experience with the size of our rooms. We are very happy to hear you were satisfied with the Hotel staff, Front Desk and Restaurant services. We are very well located within walking distance from many important venues in the city. Once again, thank you for your remarks and we hope to welcome back in the near future.
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel was in a decent location. The room was a little smaller than anticipated but it is Toronto, not the prairies! The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. It took a couple phone calls but once the AC was fixed, the room was much better. The bathroom was pretty cool ... awesome shower, cool vanity.

There was an error and they provided us with an invoice after 2 days although we were booked for 4 ... the front desk staff fixed that quickly.

The restaurant was good although we only ate there once.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear chickipoo,
Thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to hear that you have experienced a great stay at the Hotel. Your comments are very important to us and we will definitely share them with the staff. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I made a reservation for a king bed room and when I arrived at 3:30 pm they told me the room is not ready and it will take time to prepare it. I am not really sure if there was an available king bed room at that point because she tried to convince me to take the queen bed instead.The check out time is 11 am and I think 4 hours will be more than enough to make the room ready. Finally,I agreed to take the queen room because I was really tired at that point.
On the second day, I tried to call the room service more than 4 times and no one answered me and when I went out and I met one of the room service staff she was very rude with me when I asked for someone to clean the room.
I remember visiting this hotel 2 years ago and I really enjoyed the stay and I recommended it to many of my friends but this time was a really great disappointment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Thank you the_admen for taking the time to share your experience. We're very sorry to hear we did not live up to your expections or our standards of service.

We'd like the opportunity to investigate the issues you described further, and invite you to contact us at g.desilva@hitorontodowntown.ca

Once again, we apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay, and hope you'll stay with us again.