“Great hotel”

Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre
Ranked #48 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed here many years ago when it was Days Inn. I have to say what a difference. Very pleasant and helpful staff. Very clean in the lobby and in the rooms. Modern and great use of space. If you informed the staff that something was not right, they were on it very quickly and dealt with it right away.
Only downside for us was the hallways were not air conditioned so waiting for an elevator was very hot and uncomfortable.
Location was great too. Large Loblaws right beside hotel that offers food that you can heat up there since there is no microwave in rooms. Everything is very secure - need keycard to access the elevator and the Vending/Ice Machine rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. It is very nice to see that you have noticed the difference when you stayed with us before. Our staff members try their best to accommodate our guests and we will share your remarks with them. We are very close to many restaurants, shopping malls and Loblaws next door is a plus to have close by. Once again, thank you for returning to our Hotel and we hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Easy check in, gentleman at front desk seemed friendly and helpful. Went to room on 17th floor to find the air conditioner not working properly. Called the front desk, they said someone would be right up to check it out, no one ever showed up. Went down to the front desk in person and the gentlemen who checked us in, moved us to another room on the 19th floor. The next day my remote control to the TV did not work, again the front desk clerk assured me that someone would be right up to look at it..... 6 hours later after calling them again they sent someone up to exchange the remote control. When we checked in was told that the pool was "out of order" and we could use the one at the Marriott down the street..Huh! As other reviewers have mentioned the rooms are quite small (we had 2 double beds) and after a while can feel a bit claustrophobic. The room is quite weirdly laid out, A/C is blocked by drapes and they must be wrapped around it in order for it to function, and then the flat screen TV is in front of the A/C so the air is blocked again. Who planned this set up? I feel there is no communication or organization here by management. The sheer window curtains were dirty and the outside windows so filthy that the view was distorted. Okay some pluses....the rooms were clean and the bathrooms however small, nicely arranged and a great functioning shower and plenty of towels, toiletries etc., also found the place very quiet inside the room (even though the city was quite busy with International Pride week going on) I feel for what is charged, the service does not measure up. Unsure if I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be a better choice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank lookingabout
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear valued guest,
We sincerely appreciate your comments made on Tripadvisor regarding your recent visit. Your comments are important for us and we have addressed them with the Maintenance department. We are currently working on a project to renovate our gym this summer and in the mean time we have coordinated access for our guests next door at the Ryerson facility. Please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we hope you can give us a second opportunity to turn a negative into a positive feedback.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I only stayed one night at this hotel and nothing was particularly wrong but I was quite dissatisfied with experience. The lobby area was large but not comfortable and was quite dated. The elevators were slow and complicated to operate. The air conditioning in the room did not work well and the controls were confusing. The room was tiny without one comfortable chair and really no place for luggage. The king size bed was great. The bathroom had little shelf space and I certainly was not aware it only had a shower. Breakfast was not included and the room service and restaurant prices were way higher than nearby restaurants. I will definitely try a different hotel next time I am in Toronto.

Room Tip: Even though I was on the 22nd floor there were limited views
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lawrie P

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your time reviewing our Hotel on Tripadvisor. We have noticed some discomfort regarding the confusion with the Air Conditioning and the overall satisfaction. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we do apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Please feel free to contact us on your next trip to the city and we promise we will do our very best to accommodate your expectations.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

as it happens we only were booked in for one night & I have to say if I had to stay longer it would have been a bind. The rooms are very small (although ours did have 2 double beds!) apart from the beds no where else to sit & relax, very cramped indeed. The room was clean & tidy, the bed comfortable, the view non existent. So if you want a view of something nice from your hotel window, this is not the hotel for you. We had previously stayed at a Holiday Inn in Washington DC several days prior to this for similar costs but the room in DC was probably 3 or 4 times bigger & the facilities were much better. In summary ok for a nite if all you are doing is passing thru, any longer & I would recommend looking elsewhere. Parking is not easy & you have to drive round the block & drive into the hotel from the rear & it is chargeable. Would not choose this hotel if I was to revisit Toronto.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karl S

Dear Valued guest,
Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We are very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations while you visited our location. Your comments are important and value your business. We have documented your remarks for future analysis. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we hope we can have a second opportunity to turn a negative into a positive review.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The location of this hotel couldn't be better -- especially during world pride. Just steps to Church St, Younge St, and Eaton Centre.

There is an issue with figuring out parking while checking-in. I was alone so I had to go use a meter a block away while I checked in. There was no bell man on duty to help figure it out.

The check-in was a mad house. There were people at the IHG desk that I don't think were actually members of the program, so I just had to wait in the regular queue as I didn't know where else to go. The person who checked me in was so impersonal and was obviously following some script.

To make matters worse she didn't code my key card for my room. I had to wait in a large queue for the elevators, which ended up taking 10 minutes. Then to get to my room to find out the key didn't work! So, back to the lobby where I went straight up to the agent who checked me in and told her the problem; she told me I'd have to wait as she was with another guest. Very frustrating process.

I wouldn't stay here ever again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank phil4vic
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Phil4Vic, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us.

We're sorry to hear it was not up to our normal standards of service, and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further, so we may investigate and review our standards with the appropriate Guest Services Agent. Please feel free to contact me at g.desilva@hitorontodowntown.ca.

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Downtown Centre in November 2013. I stayed here as I was in town shopping for my sisters wedding dress. The hotel is located in an excellent downtown location, with many restaurants and a very large Loblaws located right next door.

The hotel itself is old and tired. The room was extremely small with barely enough for the two double beds in the room. The bathroom was iffy and needing an update. Although in an excellent location, the price did not reflect the quality of the hotel.

During my stay (just prior to check-out) there was a fire alarm that went off, which meant we had to carry our heavy suitcases down several flights of stairs as we were checking out. We did not see any staff members looking to assist guests or anything of that nature. Disappointing.

I would give this hotel a 3/5 star rating, and I would likely look for another option in this area. It wasn't terrible, but only okay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Pierceba

Thank you Pierceba for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us in November.

We're sorry to hear you did not enjoy your time with us. Our hotel underwent a $24 million dollar renovation in 2010, and we are surprised to hear you found the room and washroom to be outdated. We'd like to investigate the deficiencies you mentioned, and hope you'll be willing to contact us at g.desilva@hitorontodowntown.ca, to discuss this further.

Thank you for staying with us, and bringing these issues to our attention.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Holiday Inn Express - Toronto Downtown Centre was a total wow experience. A perfect experience from start to finish. Very quick check-in (under 5 mins with a pre-booked online reservation), super clean rooms and great amenities. Staff are friendly, quick, kind and very responsive. Felt very much at a "home away from home". Received extra towels, blanket and housecoat without a hassle. Warm salt water pool was perfect for swimming open early closed late. Love the Holiday Inn Express for it's proximity to everything in the heart of the city at Yonge / College in Toronto. Starbucks in the front of building was a bonus!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you karimamorgan for your wonderful review. We're so glad to see you enjoyed your stay, and are flattered to be called your home away from home.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope we will see you again soon!