“Great location”

Ranked #53 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal, Canada
“Great location”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Great location, very quiet and clean modern room. A little bit expensive for what it is but i guess thats what you have to pay to be centrally located.

Nice big pool, breakfast restaurant in front if you want to pay less

Staying in july 2013

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dany651, we're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and our downtown location.

Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had a double room with our two kids (12 and 10) and it was pretty cramped quarters. We stayed two nights and, thankfully, we weren't in the room much. It had very quick access to the Subway and we were able to pick up a few food items at the Loblaws store (the former Maple Leaf Gardens) to save a few bucks. The price on this hotel was pretty good. The hotel parking lot was full, but there was another lot very close by that we were able to use.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you Stephanie D for your review (we love your profile picture, by the way).

We're sorry to hear you found our rooms small for four people, but are glad to hear you spent your time out and about, enjoying Toronto.

Thank you for staying with us.
St. Catharines, Ontario
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The hotel is centrally located as the TTC subway station (College station - 4th stop is at Union Station) is a stone's throw away as well as the 506 bus that runs right by. Park in the hotel and leave the car there as you won't need to use it and spend more money on parking lots in Toronto when you can use the TTC. Another bonus was that on the day of check out you can leave your car at the hotel until 3 pm. I was able to take the kids to the Hockey Hall of Fame in the morning and return for the car. When we returned to the hotel we need to use the bathroom, but you need a room key to get in to the ones in the lobby. The front desk staff was great. They gave us a key to access the bathroom before we left for our 1.5 hour drive home.

The hotel reminded me of European hotels with its narrow hallways and extremely small rooms. There is no room to walk, just small lane ways around the beds.The bathroom was small as well, but modernly decorated with lots of shelves and a nice shower that works well compared to a fancy, expensive, harbourfront hotel that I had stayed in a couple of nights before. Fortunately we were only there really for a good night's sleep, though my husband and kids took some time to enjoy the pool while I was out all day volunteering at an event in Toronto. You can hear the traffic and street noise so if you want a quiet night's sleep you likely won't get it here. However, all the other positives makes this hotel a good place to stay. The food was good and kids under 12 eat free which was a bonus. We did the hotel + breakfast + parking hotel rate which worked well for us. Make sure you get the breakfast coupons upon check-in as we did not get them and had to go back to the front desk in the morning to get them as the server asked for it when we entered the dining room.

Overall it was a great stay. Better than some of the really expensive and fancy hotels in downtown Toronto and at the harbourfront.

Room Tip: If you want some space see if there are suites that will accommodate you.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing all of your tips regarding transit and parking for all of our guests. We are sure they will appreciate your advice as much as we do.

We have been listening to our guest feedback regarding the noise level in our rooms due in large part to our downtown location. We are working on action plans and projects that we hope will make our guests more comfortable during their stay, including replacing weatherstripping, installing door silencers and sourcing covers for the air conditioning units to help block the street noise.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed here for a short overnight. It is clean and convenient to the University and walking around downtown.

As a rewards member, the room I was given was small for three people and not much space for our overnight bags. If it was longer than one night I probably would have said something.

Front desk staff and concierge were very nice.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Sheila216, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We're sorry to hear you were not comfortable in the room, however we're glad you found our staff to be friendly and courteous.

Thank you for being a member of IHG Rewards, we appreciate your loyalty and hope we'll see you again soon.
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Arrived jet lagged to a simple welcome, good food, clean room, quiet pool, close to tourist bus stop, almost next door to loblaws - great supermarket and deli where you can buy quality food for all family tastes and eat in too. very popular with our 11 yr old! Nice atmosphere, and good location. Had a fun time hanging out in the Kensington market area - walkable from hotel - 20 mins, and the village just around the corner.

1 Thank Clare D
George D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown Centre, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Clare D, thank you for your review.

Kensington is one of the great hidden gems in the city, and we're glad to hear you had an opportunity to see it during your stay.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Affordable, clean and a good location for everything. CN in walking distance but we did the subway. As it was bank holiday weekend, an $11 day travel pass was good for two people. So we travelled down to the CN tower ( long queue) would advise pre booking online and you can skip the line. The subway station is just at the end of the street to the hotel. Starbucks is next door. And as alcohol can only be bought in government controlled shops - there's one of those at the end of the street as well! ( and a supermarket) staff were friendly. Would recommend as an alternative to the pricey hotels near the harbour ( which most have got road works or are looking into a building site)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank c_and_c2014
c_and_c2014, thank you for sharing your great advice for traveling in the city.

The TTC Day Pass is a convenient and cost-saving option for anyone using public transit to make their way around the city on weekends or holidays.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Where do I begin…I live in Mississauga and decided to stay downtown for a series of meetings that were scheduled over the weekend. Given that it is a holiday weekend and that the Gardiner is under construction I thought it would be best to just stay downtown. The purpose of my stay was business. I am a district manager with an automotive company and travel a fair bit for business and leisure. I would say that I spend ¾ of the month in hotel rooms. I chose the Holiday Inn because I’ve stayed at numerous properties throughout Canada and the U.S and have never had an issue. This time things were very different.

Check in: I was asked to sign a “Caribbean Festival” waiver, had an extra $500 blocked on my credit card and asked to wear a wristband even though I expressed that I was not here for the festival. The agent that checked me in argued with me that this was regular procedure “always” for the Holiday Inn. I proceeded to explain to her that I travel quite a bit and have never been asked to sign a waiver and wear a wristband unless it’s an all-inclusive. After arguing with me for some time the agent confirmed, as I suggested, that this was just for the “Caribbean Festival” weekend and New Year’s Eve.
As a customer I felt insulted, I feel that I should have been notified of these parameters when booking the hotel. I was made to feel like a child with this “bracelet”.

The Room: The Saturday night charge for my room was $285. I had a room with 1 king bed. I did not get my money’s worth at all. The room was very dated, extremely small, the bathroom was also tiny and did not have a tub which was not clear in the hotel descriptions.
The halls were leading to the rooms were like a maze. They were about 3 feet wide. The bed was mediocre at best. I took a look at a room with 2 double beds and it was the same size as the room with one king. These rooms are really small. I have actually never stayed at a hotel with rooms this small. The bed was average and not overly comfortable. I was frightened when it detached from the wall and almost flipped over a couple times when my friend who is 5’6 130 lbs sat at the edge, hardly a large person. I will say that housekeeping was really good, the rooms were promptly cleaned every day.

Room Service: Room service was disappointing. I had to call the switchboard to get through to room service every time. It was always busy. Once I did get through to them, service was prompt and courteous. The issue I had with room service is that every time I ordered my food arrived cold. One morning I ordered waffles and they arrived soggy and cold. At this point I didn’t bother to advise the hotel because I was already late for a meeting and was just disappointed overall already.

Parking: Parking with in and out privileges at this hotel was $28 a night which is standard for a downtown hotel. The parking was just as cramped as the hotel. My disappointment happened one night when I came in from dinner and had to circle this very cramped lot 9 times to finally end up squeezing my luxury vehicle into an area that I don’t really believe was a parking spot, however I had no choice. Even though I had already paid for in and out privileges this lot was full. My other option would have been to park on the street and get towed or ticketed the following morning.

Location: The location of this hotel was excellent. It’s located on Carleton which is nestled between Yonge and Church St. Perfect location downtown. There were always cabs waiting outside.

Overall: I mentioned above that I did not like the check in process and did not feel comfortable signing a waiver that says “Thank you for spending the Caribbean Festival…” because I was not there for that festival. After checking-in I did call down and ask to speak to the manager. The manager Gina He was excellent. She took the time to discuss the issue of check in with me. I expressed to her that I was very unhappy with the room and she did show me a room with two double beds but it was the same size. She took the time to explain to me that unfortunately the rooms were small as it is an older building and that most rooms were this size. She did try to switch me to a suite in the interest of customer service but was unsuccessful in doing so because the hotel was completely booked. Gina was professional, friendly and courteous and the best part of my stay was speaking with her.

My stay at this Holiday Inn property was a complete disappointment. The property in my opinion is dated inside, the rooms and the bathrooms are ridiculously small. The bed detached from the wall and almost flipped over a couple times, we could have been seriously hurt. The parking is inadequate, cramped and dangerous; I could never get a hold of anyone except for the switchboard. Room service was always busy, guest services was always busy and so was housekeeping. I always had to call the switchboard and somehow got miraculously patched through.

I unfortunately cannot recommend that anyone stay at this property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank pollyyyz
Pollyyyz, we're very sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us.

There are a few dates throughout the year where we anticipate the hotel to be busy with the potential for parties and noise complaints. During these times, we put a wristband policy in place to ensure the safety, security and comfort of all of our guests. We apologize if we offended you by this policy and the manner in which it was explained at check in.

We will forward your review to the Director of Engineering, and the Director of Food and Beverage to ensure our phone system in the Room Service Department is functioning properly.

We will also forward your comments regarding Gina to our Director of Front Office, so he may recognize her for the difference she made during your stay. Gina is a new addtion to our Front Office team, and we feel luck to have her.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're sorry to hear we fell short of your expectations, and hope you will give us a second chance.

Thank you for staying with us.