Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites
Ranked #46 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Hillerød
“Disappointet”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We had read the reviews on tripadvisor and were looking forward to this stay. We arrived with two tired children and were given a room with a kingsize bed and a sofabed instead of the room with two queensize beds we booked in advance (we were not asked if this was ok). When we came to the room the sofabed was not made up and we had to call reception about this. Then a member of staff turned up with sheets but it was up to us to make the bed. The hairdryer didn't work, the dispenser for shampoo was empty and there was hair in the bath (not ours). I would choose to go somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kirsten G
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Hi there I want to thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page, may it be a positive or constructive comment we appreciate all feedback. In regards to your check-in experience, there is never a situation where the front desk does not inform guests of upgrades. They are actually quite thrilled to let guests know that they are getting a nicer more spacious room. In your case, the front desk agent told your husband and he agreed to the King Suite upgrade. As for the sofa bed in your suite, once you pull it out you can notice that the fresh sheets and comforter are already put on the bed as well as spare pillow in your suite.

In regards to the cleanliness of your room, our housekeeping department strives on keeping the guest rooms and the environment of our hotel pristine. In regards to the working amenities of the room, usually if there is an issue we advise guests to immediately contact us at the front desk and we send someone from our maintenance or housekeeping department to tend to the matter. In your case none of the issues you had were reported to any staff members especially in regards to cleanliness issues. Usually we do not receive these type of complaints although we do value your feedback and wish you safe & happy travels. Thank you for choosing Best Western.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I always look forward to staying at this hotel and go out of my way to book here because of the friendly staff and clean, new rooms. Everything works and the staff always remember me - just like a second home. The restaurant is also great for a quick bite in the morning - recommend the garden omelette. The Wonderland package was great for us as we could take the shuttle and save on parking!

Room Tip: If you are going to Wonderland they have a shuttle that drops you off and picks you up right at the...
2 Thank Ravi P
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi Ravi P! I want to personally thank you for taking the time to post on our TripAdvisor page. It really means a lot to us when travellers such as yourself post your feedback. It is also great for other future travellers to see so that they see the value of our hotel. We are glad that you are loyal to our hotel and decide to frequent our hotel when you are visiting Toronto. As for the physical aspect of the hotel, it is definitely brand new from top to bottom and we strive on cleanliness. The staff delivers incomparable customer service and tries their best to accommodate all guests. You are completely right about the restaurant, it has amazing omelettes and it is connected to the hotel which makes it really easy to grab a bite before you kick start your day! It is amazing to hear that you took advantage of our Wonderland package, we offer one of the best deals in the city for the amusement park that is minutes away from us with an extremely convenient shuttle! Overall, I want to thank you for posting your positive comments, and welcome you back with open arms!
Dorset, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked this hotel using my airmiles. I would recommend that if you are booking online to call and make sure the hotel actually looks at your reservation. I had booked two rooms and asked for them to be joining, when my husband went to check in they said they didnt have any available rooms that joined but not only that our children ( ages 9,10 and 11) would be a few doors down. I was told by the girl on the front desk that there was nothing they could do about this and that there was no manager available for me to talk to. When a manager did call me back (she was friendly) there was still nothing that they could do for me.........UNTIL I mentioned putting a review on tripadvisor. Then we ended up with two rooms beside each other. Funny how they all of a sudden had room for us.

The restaurant was under staffed, we went there for Breakfast and waited 10+ mins to be seated, then after another 10+ mins I got our menus and eventually we just left and went else where. This was not the fault of either of the two waitresses that where working, they where just really under staffed.

I would NOT stay here again.

Room Tip: The beds are very comfortable!
1 Thank Windsor0710
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hi Windsor0710! I want to thank you for your feedback, may it be positive or constructive criticism, we value all guests opinions. In regards to your comment about adjoining rooms, we really try our best to accommodate all guests needs especially prior to your check-in time. We thoroughly go through each reservation and review all special requests and see if it is possible to fulfill them. In your case, adjoining rooms was not possible. It is all up to availability and with the busy summer season in effect most of our rooms are being used by other guests. With a limited amount of adjoining rooms, we cannot guarantee that you will be beside your friends and family. Hotel rooms are not like airline seats you cannot book your room number in advance, it is up to availability. You will definitely get the room type you booked to accommodate you and your family. In regards to your comment about speaking to the manager and being moved side by side to each other because you mentioned writing a review on TripAdvisor is completely invalid. Also that is extremely inappropriate from your end to use TripAdvisor as a source of getting what you want. You were moved side by side because another guest had shortened their stay a day early, and we were able to clean their room promptly to make it available for your family, in order to have the adjoining room. It had nothing to do with you saying you would write a review on TripAdvisor. We are not threatened by that as we rely on our superior customer service and our amazing capability of accommodating our guests needs, as well as keeping them happy. Although clearly this is not the first time you have used TripAdvisor as a source of getting your way, since you chose to bring it up when making a complaint. I am not sure if you are aware, but people in the hospitality industry work very hard and strive to keep everyone happy although minor things as not getting adjoining rooms sometimes is just not possible for us to fulfill. As for our restaurant, it was staffed according to the traffic of the restaurant that day and it was not busy during your visit. As for seating, you may seat yourself and a server will approach you promptly with a menu as well as take your order when you are ready. Overall, it is evident that sometimes we cannot keep all of our guests happy but we also do not appreciate by being insulted over a request that we worked hard to fulfill for you. Thank you for your review.
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Staff very friendly and courteous, stay here every two weeks for medical! Restraunt has great food! Very clean and spacious rooms! I love the staff make me feel like family!!! Swimming facilities are very clean and accessible! Want a great stay stay at this hotel! I won't stay anywhere else now! They rock!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Hi Tinkerbella77! I want to thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback on our TripAdvisor page. We are more than happy to accommodate you during your bi-weekly visits to our hotel. We are pleased to hear when our guests become loyal to our hotel. It is then obvious to us that we are ensuring your stay is pleasant and comfortable. You are totally right, the restaurant definitely has great food with even better pricing. Now that the weather has been fabulous, many of our guests like to enjoy a drink with their food on our beautiful outdoor patio. As for the guest rooms, they are definitely clean and spacious. Many guests rave about how well kept the hotel is because of our amazing housekeeping department that strives to keep everything in tip top shape! As for the swimming pool, they are definitely accessible and clean. I am glad you enjoyed our great hospitality and we welcome you back with opens arms. Thank you again for the great comments, have sage & happy travels!
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and were extremely pleased with the attentiveness of Front Desk Supervisor from the get go. Before we even arrived, he emailed me asking for my room preference and location and did everything in his power to make sure we got what we wanted. He even went out of his way making sure to have milk and cookies ready for my 2 kids, a local map, water and even an apple when we arrived in the room. That was such a nice touch that I've never received at other big brand hotels. Staffs definitely made this stay incredibly pleasant and I would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel for anyone wishing to visit BEST WESTERN PLUS Toronto North York Hotel. The location is super convenient!

I’d recommend this hotel to others for Nightlife, Art, Shopping, Airport proximity, Restaurants, Business travelers, Local attractions, Wonderland, Highway, 407

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Hi Travis B! I want to personally thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page, it really means a lot to us. It is great to hear that you had an amazing time during your stay at our hotel. As people that work in a fast paced industry, we try our best to accommodate all of our guests needs, I am more than happy we achieved that with you and your family. As for our front desk supervisor, I am glad he took the extra step to make your stay more enjoyable as he always does. He has been with us for over 10 years and knows exactly how to interact with the guests and ensure they leave happy. Overall, the staff at our hotel, no matter which department, really put their heart into their work so that guests are pleased. Also as you may have noticed we are quite a large hotel with many amenities that we need to keep clean & comfortable. You are completely right about the convenience of our location, we are definitely close to all major highways, and everything you stated, restaurants, Wonderland, Legoland, Vaughan Mills Outlet Mall, Yorkdale Shopping Centre and much much more! Overall, we wish you safe & happy travels and welcome you back with open arms to our hotel for another superior experience.
London, Canada
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It seems to me that this hotel is not well suited to dealing with customer service... and when a customer has an issue, did not find a way to resolve the issue, with professionalism, effectiveness or satisfaction....

When booking, was told that at an extra charge ($10/hr), I could have a late check out until 3 p.m. Staff confirmed this at check in, and told me that i would need to "alert" front desk staff in the morning. Upon doing this, I was told that this was not possible -- and when i pressed the point, was told "okay" but with lots of sighing and eye rolling.. I said that this was the main reason I agreed to come to this hotel, to which the response was "but we didn't guarantee it"... I said that this lack of guarantee was not mentioned during my reservation phone call.. In fact, I was told that "3 p.m would be fine..".... The staff (in fact, I discovered later it was the manager, Nick) continued to roll his eyes at me, sigh and tell me what a hassle it would be for him and his hotel...

In essence, when I told the manager that one of the main reasons I reserved at this hotel was this facility for late check-out (with a charge), he simply shrugged his shoulders, and implied that I could have gone elsewhere.... Wow...!.... so I suppose he will be happy to know that I won't be returning to his hotel...

Further, breakfast took 40 minutes -- it took us 35 minutes to get juice -- and when breakfast did arrive, it was lukewarm, if not cold, we only received forks (no knives for spreading jam on toast, etc.).. We were told that they had a staff shortage in the restaurant, and Nick later said that it was not his hotel's responsibility... etc. etc.

A good, solid business, in my experience, manages difficult situations far better than this one did.. It is hard to articulate in words the disdain and disrespect with which I felt treated... (and I paid for this treatment!!)

Overall, a very poor experience. I will not return to this hotel... and would not recommend it to others.

3 Thank Shelley V
St. James, NY
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Ok I'll start with the positive aspect of this stay. It is clean, updated hotel. Staff was friendly. Free breakfast was a great deal since Canada is ridiculously expensive. Decent breakfast choice of scrambled eggs or pancakes. The downside for us was the location. Not really close to anything we wanted to do. That is really not the hotels fault, I will blame myself for since I could have researched the area a bit more. The biggest problem with our stay here was the dismal lighting in the bathroom. It was very dark in room 228. Very irritating trying to get dressed/apply makeup in there. May seem trivial, but I found it extremely irritating. Overall decent hotel and a great value.

1 Thank Michelle S
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Hi Michelle S! I want to thank you for taking the time to review our newly renovated hotel. We are happy to have accommodated you during your visit to Toronto. It is pleasant to see that you noticed the cleanliness of our hotel. Our housekeeping department strives to keep everything in great shape. It is important that our guests feel comfortable at our hotel. Also, I am glad you noticed that our hotel has been updated. We definitely updated it from top to bottom making sure that it is at a high standard and modern for our guests. As for your positive experience in our on-site restaurant, Western Bar & Grille, I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast! It is a great way to kick off your day once you had a good meal. In regards to the location of our hotel, I do apologize if it may have been inconvenient for your purposes during your stay although many of our guests stay with us due to the convenience of our location. We are easily accessible to all Toronto major highways. (Highway 400, 401, 407 etc) Also theres many great things to do in our area. You can explore Pioneer Village, shop at Vaughan Mills or Yorkdale Mall, visit Legoland, Wonderland, catch a movie at Colossus Theatre and of course dine out at a variety of great restaurants! I do apologize if the above were not what you were looking for but we are extremely transit friendly and accessible to the downtown core of Toronto and our front desk staff is always ready with great suggestions to help you with further directions & advice. As for the lighting in your bathroom, I have looked into the matter myself and we usually do not get that type of complaint although we will look into the lighting in the guest bathrooms to see if there is a serious issue that needs to be taken care of. I do apologize that it may have been inconvenient for you. Overall, I do want to thank you for your feedback, may it be constructive or positive, all feedback is appreciated and we take it seriously. We hope you have safe & happy travels and welcome you back anytime!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
Holiday Inn Express Toronto - North York
Scarborough
Best Western Plus Executive Inn
Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale
Toronto Don Valley Hotel & Suites
Radisson Hotel Toronto East

Been to Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!