Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
All reviewscanada's wonderlandfront deskattached restaurantbest westernshot tubtoronto areahotel is cleanfridge and microwaveking suitehotel staffindoor poolcomfortable roomeasy accesscomplimentary breakfastconvenient locationbirchbw
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were pleasantly surprised to find that the suite had two full bathrooms. The king size bed was really comfortable. The restaurant had great food and the location was close to Downsview Park and Vaughn Mills Outlet Mall.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank PaulnLou
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Hi PaulnLou! Thank you for taking the time to write on our TripAdvisor page, it really means a lot to us. It is great to hear that you had a good time in our King Suite with 2 bathrooms, 2 TVS, a living room area etc. We always suggest it for families and people in larger groups as it a lot more comfortable and spacious than a standard room. I'm also pleased to hear that you indulged in the delicious food our on-site restaurant, Western Bar & Grille has to offer. From their Big Canadian Breakfast to Cavatappi Pasta, you can eat your heart out! In addition you can save a little bit of money with the 15% discount we offer to all our hotel guests who eat at the restaurant. As for our location, you are absolutely right, we are conveniently located to major shopping centres such as Vaughan Mills Outlet Centre, Yorkdale Mall, and attractions such as Legoland, Wonderland Amusement Park etc. It's great to hear that you got a little nature while visiting Toronto, another great place nearby is Kleinburg where you can grab a nice lunch on a patio and walk around the town enjoying the scenery and shops. Overall, I want to thank you for posting your feedback for other travellers such as yourself to see. I want to personally wish you safe & happy travels!

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

After some reading some of the recent reviews we are surprised by the negative comments. Contact with staff was minimal, but good. The rooms were clean and comfortable, you could tell they had been recently renovated. As for the location, it was right off the highway and we had no reason to think we should be concerned for our safety. We left with a positive impression of this hotel and would stay here if we ever visit the Toronto area again (after the highway construction is finished!)

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Adria V

Hi Adria V! Thank you for posting your positive feedback on our TripAdvisor page, it is greatly appreciated. I We definitely understand where you are coming from in regards to questioning the reviews. It is definitely not easy keeping everyone happy as there are many different people that come and go out of our hotel but we try our best. I am glad that we achieved our goal by making you and your family happy. In case there is an issue reported or any sort of negativity we try to hash out the problem while the guest is still at the hotel. Sometimes we are not aware of the things that bother some guests and it is hard for us to make them happy. In regards to the cleanliness of our hotel and guest rooms, you are completely right, we definitely keep a high standard at our hotel. In addition our housekeeping & maintenance department work very hard to maintain the consistency of the cleanliness and comfort for our guests. I am glad that you also noticed the convenience of our location, as you stated, it is right off of Highway 400 and close to all major highways. You couldn't have said it better, our hotel is safe, modern and we try our best to leave a positive vibe on our guests such as yourself. It is very important that we achieve customer satisfaction because we know that travelling can get expensive and our guests expect a certain standard that Best Western's all around the world, live up to. Overall, I want to thank you for reassuring other travellers on the comfort and pleasant hotel we have to offer. From our Best Western family to yours, we welcome you with open arms.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I couldn't believe how rude management was. Unauthorized guests were let into our room when they didn't have a key, the front desk just gave them a key without asking any questions. This is quit concerning when you realize the location of the hotel (Jane & Finch, high crime area) When I confronted the manager he looked at me like it wasn't his problem and just continued about his business.

We showed up to check in at 3pm and our room still wasn't ready. Someone from the front desk had to actually go up to our room and clean by herself (without house keeping) it was finally ready an hour later.

The hallway stunk like weed the entire weekend, there was no security, people were coming and going as they pleased fights in the parking lot etc...

House keeping never came to clean the room. We called 3 times to request extra pillows and blankets and they never came.

I've stayed in lots of hotels for business/personal and never had as many issues as this one. The level of service was the worst I've ever seen!

Honestly if you're going to stay in a hotel in this area stay at the comfort inn or the Holiday Inn Express they are right beside each other and roughly the same price and definitely better service!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jordan H

Hi Jordan H. May it be constructive criticism or positive, we value all guests opinions. The management at our hotel are all experienced individuals that strive on professionalism and great customer service. I have personally looked into your situation myself and have found your story to be untrue. The number one rule at our hotel is to keep our guests happy and number two is confidentiality. We never give out any personal information about our guests no matter who the individual asking may be. Without our guests permission, room keys are definitely not issued. We always ask for identification to verify guests identities in order to ensure the right person is requesting additional room keys. In your case, you were given a couple of room keys upon check-in as per your request and that was the end of it. We did not issue any other room keys after that. It is out of our control who you give your room keys to although we are more than happy to cancel out keys and remake them just for yourself if you do not want your friends or family to have keys to your room. At no point during your stay did you approach us and advise us that you wanted to cancel some of your keys you received upon check-in. Also, I am aware that you confronted management in regards to your key issue you experienced although as we stated before, it is out of our hands if you are the one giving out your keys to your friends. In addition I do want to let you know that our area is not considered unsafe as it is quite the industrial street along with 3 major brand hotels located on the strip. We also have a great relationship with the police station located directly beside our hotel and they patrol the area consistently just for extra peace in mind for our guests. As for your check-in experience, it was definitely a heavy check-in on the day of your arrival as we were sold out and the majority of our guests were looking to check-in at the same time due to the beginning of Veld Music Festival. The majority understood why there may have been a delay in checking as we must get payment, id etc from all guests. The rooms were definitely all clean, there was just a line-up of guests which was commonly understood by everyone although we quickly got everyone to their rooms.

As for the public areas such as hallways, the housekeeping department keeps it consistently clean but with a high traffic of guests, it sometimes gets a bit challenging but we did not have any complaints in regards to any smells, yours is the first. You are right, there were definitely a lot of people at the hotel for the long weekend but there weren't any reported fights or trouble at our property. In addition we do not offer security guards, we are not a night club nor extremely large hotel. We do definitely patrol the hallways ourselves to minimize noise complaints or any sort of issues that may occur during the long weekend but we do not have 24/7 security at the hotel. As for your pillow requests etc, I have checked our guest request control log sheet and noticed that you received all your requests in a timely manner as our hotel staff is extremely diligent on keeping our guests happy. Overall, I want to inform you that the value for price paid at our hotel is quite reasonable especially for everything we offer at our hotel. (Pool, hot tub, fitness centre, on-site restaurant with a large outdoor patio, on site-laundry, free parking etc.) I am definitely disappointed you didn't enjoy your stay especially like the rest of our guests during the long weekend. Also I am sorry that your storu was found to be false because we value our guests and their confidentiality more than anything and in your case we did the same. A word of advice for next time is do not personally give out your room keys if you will end up upset that your friends are entering your room. This way you can avoid all issues and stay in your room in your privacy. Have safe & happy travels.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

After 3 busy days in Niagara Falls, followed by a busy day at Wonderland, we arrived exhausted. We had 2 children, myself and my mother and booked this hotel as it indicated it was very close to Canada's Wonderland. First, beware, this hotel is back down/south on 400 off Finch (isn't Jane/Finch a hotbed for gang shootings?). When we arrived we felt uncomfortable being in a run down/rough area of town. However, being exhausted just wanted a place to crash...we should have just left and gone to a better hotel back up by a Wonderland. The room stunk and was so small we had to unload luggage cart in hallway. My niece also found food in her bed and there were small fruit flys in room. We were told at checkin there was only a suite with a king bed available for upgrade and I didn't want to sleep with my mother, so we checked internet for other hotels to relocate to, however the kids were starving so we took them to dinner, went back to room and went to bed knowing we would get out if there in morning. Hotel shower in morning was a nightmare...2 temps were ice cold or scalding hot. I burned my back twice (just grateful it wasn't my 9 yr old who was burned) and had to rinse shampoo out if my hair I'm ice cold water!!!!! After several attempts, my mother gave up on trying to get in shower and had to rinse off in sink. The hair drying didn't work, so after my horrid shower experience we quickly departed, hair dripping wet down my clothes. I went to front desk, checked out, reported what had just happened and got asked "if I called anyone"???? Lady at front desk spoke to her GM who never even bothered to come out of his office to speak to me or see my dripping hair all over the counter. Rather, she told me that "because we booked under a CAA rate he could only offer a $15 discount for our troubles". To add injury to insult he emailed me today after I completed their follow up survey, and indicated "we never gave totem a chance"....sorry but after being scalded twice and sleeping in a bug infested room, your chances are up. He also went in to tell me that if I posted my experience on Trip Advisor i would be unprofessional????? Never seat here, not inky will you regret it, but if you complain you will be told it's your own fault!

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Jac19692014
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hi Jac19692014! May it be positive or constructive criticism, all of our hotel guests opinions are valued and taken seriously. First of all I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking advantage of our convenient location which is minutes away from Wonderland. As for the area the hotel is located in, there is nothing to worry about, nor has anything happened at our hotel or strip of hotels located on the same street. For extra peace in mind, in case our guests are worried, we have a great relationship with the police station beside us and they patrol our hotel on a daily basis just for extra security. As for your check-in experience, I have been advised by my front desk staff that you were offered a free upgrade as a welcoming gesture for visiting our hotel for the first time. You did not actually ask for any sort of upgrade. When offered you denied it because you wanted 2 queen beds instead of our spacious, luxurious, King Suite with a sofa bed, 2 washrooms, 2 TVS etc. You were also given a welcome call 15 minutes after your arrival and you stated you were pleased with your room. After your dinner, the Guest Services Manager approached you & your family near the elevators, and asked you how everything was and you replied with a friendly smile and answer saying it was great.

As for the cleanliness of your room, it is very hard to believe that you found food & fruit flies and did not report it to the front desk. If anything is ever found in the rooms (which does not usually happen because our rooms are thoroughly checked by housekeeping supervisors), guests usually report it to the front desk and immediate action is taken, as well as the option of a room switch. I realize you were with your children, therefore I do not understand why you wouldn't have reported a cleanliness issue for the safety and comfort of your own family… Also after reading your reviews, I have personally checked the room myself and there are no evident issues. The shower works completely fine as do the temperatures, and the hairdryer is brand new equipment, although you just have to look on the inside of the handle where it says ON/OFF and press that button. At times you may have to press the reset button as well and then the ON button and it turns on as well.

As for your check-out experience, it was quite an odd one. I was approached by my front desk staff in my office and asked a quick question to approve a discount. I did not have any background information as they told me you seemed to be in a rush and they wanted to offer something to you to settle the situation (which again I was not aware of). Also, they did ask you if at any point you reported any of the issues you had, and you seemed offended by that question. With a large hotel and different type of guests we always suggest that our guests advise us of any issues up front so we can promptly attend to them. In your case, you did not let us know of anything especially since you have made the situations to sound very severe and frustrating. I shortly came out of my office after I approved the discount and came to realize you were gone. I then asked my front desk staff if maybe you went to the restaurant or in the vicinity of that area, and they advised me that you rushed out of the hotel in a hurry, stating you had to go. This all happened in a matter of minutes. Also, I want to advise you on the reasoning behind welcome calls 15 minutes after your check-in. They are done to ensure you are happy with your room and everything is up to your standards. As previously stated, you said everything was great over the phone & in person. I investigated the situation myself by checking your room to find nothing wrong, and then emailed you in order to finally get some contact with you, myself. You had already threatened to write on our TripAdvisor page, but that was not my point in emailing you, the point was to speak with you myself and resolve the issue. Our main goal is to keep our guests happy and no matter what social media outlet you post your complaints on, we still try to follow up and see what the situation is. No where in my email did I state anything was your fault although it is human nature to report issues so that they can get fixed. With that being said I would like for you to reread my personal email to you and see where I wrote the following:

"I completely understand where you are coming from, especially as a valued guest of ours and I do thank you for choosing to stay with us. I understand that you are entitled to your own opinion, although I would appreciate it if you can email directly and we can handle this matter in a timely manner because I do not like to see any of my guests leave the hotel unhappy. We welcome you back with open arms and would really like to resolve this issue."

I am not sure what more I would have to say to get your attention and a response out of you, although clearly resolving the issue was not your motive. Threatening to write on our TripAdvisor and damaging our reputation for no reason was your goal. As you may notice, many of our guests, locals and international are very pleased with our hotel as well regulars that come stay with us time and time again. Overall I am sorry your goal to personally attack me and the hotels competence did not work out for you. I wish you safe & happy travels.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

although the lobby is very nice, there was no air circulation in halls on the other floors making the air very stale. too much chlorine in the pool area. not within walking distance to other restaurants or stores. breakfast included in our package was poorly prepared. either pancakes or scrambled eggs, toast, sausages and hashbrowns with either coffee or orange juice with no substitutions. it wasn't great food and the service was very slow. we never got a refill on the coffee. the staff however was friendly and courteous, just sorely understaffed. chose this hotel partly because of the ratings here on tripadvisor and am baffled by the divergence between the bulk of the reviews and my actual stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank candy h

Hi candy h. May your feedback be positive or constructive criticism, all comments are welcome. As people that work in the hospitality industry, we strive off of our guests feedback in order to better ourselves, work environment and amenities. I want to thank you for pointing out our beautiful lobby as it is quite modern and welcoming, you are completely right. In regards to the hallways of the hotel, there is air circulation, hotel wide. As for our large heated pool, the chlorine level is standard and we never put extra as it gets professionally inspected and cleaned by an outside company. There are many restaurants and stores that are within walking distance it just depends on your taste. There is a mall right within walking distance to our hotel (10 minutes), Yorkgate Mall and it has all the necessities a traveller may need. For example it offers a large grocery store, liquor store, fashion stores such as Designer Depot, Dollarama, Bank of Montreal, convenience stores and much much more.

As for the rise & shine breakfast included with your package, it definitely has all the essentials of a hot breakfast. If it is not to your liking we have a large menu you can order from that includes different many sides. On top of that you get 15% off any meal when ordering from the menu as a courtesy of being a guest at our hotel. The restaurant service was definitely not slow because this past month it has been overstaffed in order to ensure guests are not waiting for their food and getting top notch service.

In addition our TripAdvisor has quite the variety of reviews and sometimes you cannot judge a book by its cover. We mostly have good reviews but sometimes we get the occasional constructive feedback, which is still valued but sometimes is done for different reasons, such as guests trying to gain something from the hotel. Every person is unique and forms their own opinions which we respect. In your case, many complaints that are completely out of the usual were stated in your review which really makes us question the validity of them. Overall, we appreciate your opinion, and wish you safe & happy travels.