“Not your normal Best Western”

Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites
Ranked #42 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Not your normal Best Western”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stay for two nights. Paid 169 one night and than 109 the second night. Had book a resavation for the Sun. Plans changed and was surprised at the different in cost between the two nights. Stay at a few best western and was very surprised there was no free breakfast as in most Best Western.
Room was very clean. Close to highway. I won't go father than the hotel (Jane&finch) bad nebourhood. Hotel was good!!!
Pool was nice but very busy.

• Stayed August 2014
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 13 September 2014
Hi ladyjanesta. I want to thank you for taking the time to post on our TripAdvisor page. I am glad that you enjoyed the convenience of the highway being right beside the hotel. It is also great to hear that you noticed the cleanliness of our hotel and specifically guest rooms. Our housekeeping department strives to keep our rooms at a high standard and comfortable for all our guests. I'm also happy you got a chance to relax in our heated pool. During your stay there was definitely a high volume of guests due to the busy summer season so there could have been an unusual amount of guests in the pool & hot tub area. It is quite large though so there is always room for everyone!

As for the rate being high during your stay, it is not unusual to have a higher price on certain days & seasons. The summer season is quite busy especially in a large cosmopolitan city like Toronto, therefore rates fluctuate season to season and sometimes daily as well. You stayed with us during a high peak season, during the lower seasons you can expect to pay a cheaper price. All in all I can assure you that our value for price paid is one of the best in the city and all of our guests rave about our fair pricing especially by being a full service hotel with many amenities. We are also in primetime location that is extremely convenient beside all major hotels & fun attractions like Canada's Wonderland, Vaughan Mills. We are also directly located beside a police station, Humber River Hospital, another 2 hotels, a nursing home, a school etc. Nothing has ever occurred at our hotel and the area is extremely safe. In addition we do not offer a complimentary breakfast due to our on-site restaurant that is open on a daily basis for breakfast lunch and dinner. As a courtesy to our guests, we offer 15% off on all meals that are ordered. You can always book the bed & breakfast rate in advance as well that we promote on our Best Western website. Overall, we welcome you back with open arms and hope to see you again during your next visit to Toronto! Have safe & happy travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
orillia, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

It was a nice hotel but I had to leave a deposit for my two rooms in the amount of $300.00. I found this to be an outrageous amount considering the total cost of the rooms with tax was only $264.64. It really put me off. I used the printer in the lobby and there wasnt enough ink to read what was on the page. I had a little attitude upon check in with the front desk staff, and there was no signal for some of the channels on the tv in my room . I asked for extra towels when I book my reservations as well as when I checked in and had to wait 3 hours to have them sent to the room. Ovcerall it was an ok stay but I may look else where next time I stay in Toronto.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Dorothy L
Hi Dorothy L. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad you chose to stay with us during your visit to Toronto. In regards to the deposit, it is mandatory and a hotel policy that we explain to our guests. Since we are a full service hotel, we offer various services to our guests that are complimentary such as WiFi, newspapers, in room coffee, parking etc. We also offer services that come at a cost such as in room movies, an on-site restaurant that you can get room service from, the option of making long distance phone calls and much more. With that being said we take a deposit from all guests to secure funds as well as make it convenient for everyone. For instance if you want to order a movie from the convenience of your room, it is possible since you have a deposit and you do not have to come downstairs and bother with giving us more money. It is a deposit that is given back if there aren't any extra charges to your room. Many of our guests agree with the hotel policy since they get easy accessibility to our services and do not have to always add money to their room in order to use the services.

In addition, during your stay we had a high volume of guests therefore our business centre was in use at most times (it is open 24/7). Since we offer 3 computers in our business centre, free of charge with WiFi, our guests love it and print their boarding passes, directions etc from the printer we offer. I truly do apologize for the inconvenience of the ink running out although as soon as you advised us of the ink running low, we switched it with a brand new cartridge later that evening. As for attitude from the front desk staff, that is quite unusual, we hold all of our employees at a high standard and focus a lot on training them to have the proper front desk etiquette. As for the channels that did not have signal on your TV, sometimes there can be a small programming issue that can occur due to bad weather or something from our providers end, although once reported to the front desk, they pass on your feedback to our provider and the issue promptly gets resolved. It does not happen often but unfortunately things do happen. Also, each guest room receives a certain amount of towels, I do apologize if there was a wait for extra towels but I have spoken to my housekeeping department & your request was dealt with in a timely manner, it did not take several hours. Overall I want to thank you for bringing certain issues to my attention but it is also best to mention it during your stay so we can tend to the problem immediately and ensure you are being taken care of the Best Western way! Have safe & happy travels.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked this hotel because of its location to Canada's Wonderland and other Family Activates. Staff was Awesome, so helpful and accommodating. Went out of there way to help us out and made the stay that good from the moment we checked in. Indoor Heated Pool was awesome. Kids loved it! Would totally recommend this hotel!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 7 September 2014
Hi Jamie-Lynn R! I want to thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page. It is great when travellers such as yourself take the time to share their wonderful experiences so other travellers can base their decisions off of your feedback! It is great to know that you booked our hotel to begin with because of the convenience of our location. I hope you and your family enjoyed your trip to Toronto and got to partake in all the fun activities in our area such as Canada's Wonderland, Legoland, Vaughan Mills etc. I am thrilled to hear that the hotel staff helped you out during your stay and really took that extra step to make your stay with us a fantastic one! Every department really strives to do their best and it is awesome when our guests notice. It's also a bonus that you enjoyed our heated indoor pool with the family! Overall, I want to thank you once again for your positive words. From our Best Western family to yours, we welcome you back with open arms.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Nice rooms, but the bathroom is very small for 4 people. We stayed for two nights while travelling to Wonderland, Playdium, bowling, and the Vaughan Mills Mall. Great location close to the highway, easy to get to our destinations.The pool is open from 7am-11pm, which is great. Unfortunately the pool area was full of children most of this time. Not ideal for couples, but fine for a quick weekend trip/not spending much time in the room. Hotel also has a $150 deposit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Hi thompson1991! I want to thank you for your positive feedback on our TripAdvisor page! I am glad to hear that you and your loved ones enjoyed your stay with us this summer! Your original booking was for a standard room with 2 queens, I do apologize the washroom was not an adequate size for the 4 of you although we always suggest our King Suites for nominal upgrade fee so that you can have the luxury of having 2 washrooms in your room as well as 2 TV's and privacy between the bedroom area as well as living room area with sofa bed! It is great to know you took advantage of all the great attractions minutes away from our hotel. Since we are conveniently located right off Highway 400 and all major highways it must have been quite easy for your group to travel around the city. As for the pool hours, they never change in during the slower seasons and our guests love the fact that we keep it open late as well as provide pool towels! The pool is heated and the hot tub is always a relaxing bonus to our guests stay! We are a family friendly hotel as well as a corporate hotel but during the busy summer season we definitely cater to families a bit more since this is their chance to go on their summer vacations while the kids are out of school. It quite common at most hotels and attractions to see a higher volume of families including children. Although I do want to advise you that we have a great King Jacuzzi Suite that you can book for your future stay and you can enjoy the Jacuzzi in the privacy of your own room. The deposit we take is hotel policy and taken from all guests and varies depending on guests length of stay. It is a pre-authorized amount at check-in in case guests order movies from their room, have room service, make long distance calls etc. It is to ensure you are able to take advantage of all of our services while staying with us! Overall, I want to thank you for feedback once again and welcome you back to our hotel!
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Since we have had a variety of experiences at Best Western, from awful to good, we were very pleasantly surprised to find that this particular Best Western was our best experience yet at this particular hotel chain. The pool and hot tub were the best we have experienced due to the pool being nice and warm, and the hot tub perfect temperature so that both of us could enjoy it. I don't usually stay in pools very long, but this one was over 83 degrees, and felt wonderful, the best of any indoor pool we have enjoyed.
They upgraded us to the two bathroom and two room suite, which was unusually nice. The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and everything worked well. The only slightly negative comment was that the a/c unit cycled a little loud. A rude woman stopped to talk very loudly on her cell phone after 11 pm at night right outside our door and woke us up, but we did not call the front desk since after a few minutes she continued loudly down the hall. That can happen anywhere in the best of hotels.
With the Police station right next door, we felt very safe. We chose this hotel based on good ratings on TA, and on location for my husband visiting his brother. It was also easy to get to downtown, just congested some as is usual for the Toronto area during the work week. We will definitely return to this hotel when we visit the area again.

Room Tip: We always ask for a room away from elevators, ice machines and in a quiet area. Also as high up as...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hi augweddedbells! I want to personally thank you for your positive feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. In regards to the Best Western Hotel Chain, we are the largest hotel chain worldwide and cater to all guests needs. Best Western has 3 different tiers which include Best Western, Best Western PLUS and Best Western PREMIER, we fall under the Best Western PLUS category as we are a full service hotel with many amenities. Another bonus is our hotel is only a year old! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed our heated pool & hot tub, they are both guest favourites. The King Suite you stayed in is definitely a bonus for guests since it is spacious, has 2 bathrooms, 2 TVS etc. In regards to the A/C Unit, they are all brand new so I am quite surprised to hear that it was loud. I'm sorry to hear that it was too loud for your liking. As for the guest that walked by your room on the phone, I do apologize for the inconvenience that it may have caused you while you were trying to relax. With the busy summer season, we have a high volume of guests, although we try to keep the noise level to a minimum. I am glad that it didn't last long as she was just passing by to her room. We always advise guests if there are any issues to call the front desk and we will promptly tend to the matter. I am glad you understand that people talking loudly can happen everywhere. As for the location of our hotel, it is conveniently located off the highway and our neighbours are the Toronto Police which patrol the grounds from time to time to ensure our guests that they are staying at a pleasant and safe hotel. I am more than thrilled that you read our TripAdvisor reviews and made a great judgement on choosing to stay with us. There are many reviews and guests that we just cannot please no matter what or people that are trying to ruin our reputation overall but when guests such as yourself see past that, we really value your loyalty. Overall, we welcome you back with open arms! Have safe & happy travels.
Muskegon County, Michigan
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We recently stayed for three nights and had an awesome experience. I've been to plenty of hotels where the stay was not pleasant. This was not the case here. Started off with friendly staff who directed us to our clean room. My family of 3 stayed on the first floor which had a walk out slider door so we could get to our vehicle easily anytime we were in our rom. The hotel is next door to a police station and a few blocks from a hospital. After seeing that I thought great, sirens and airplanes making noise. Also not the case, we slept like great. There was road construction going on around the hotel but we had no problem getting to it. We ate one night at the restaurant at the hotel and our food was brought promptly by friendly staff. Food was pretty good too. My only complaint would be the bed. Woke up with an achy back every morning. Would definitely be booking this place again if we stay in Toronto.

Room Tip: Get a first floor room if you can so you can park your car right outside your room.
1 Thank Scott L
Hi Scott L, I want to personally thank you for posting on our TripAdvisor page, it really means a lot to us as well as other travellers. It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations and your family and yourself enjoyed your stay with us. I am glad that our hotel stood out to you in comparison to other hotels you have previously stayed at. Every department strives to do their best and keep our hotel at a high standard. As for the ground floor guest rooms, they are always a nice feature, you are completely right! The patio doors are conveniently located in your room so that you can conveniently park your car right outside and have easy access. As for the noise factor you may have been worried about, I am glad that you were able to see that noise is not an issue for us. As much as we can control, we keep the hotel nice and pleasantly quiet. As for the Western Bar & Grill they definitely have delicious food. A big hit with most of our guests is the BBQ Burger or Chicken Parmesan with pasta! They also have a kids menu that caters to the little ones! In regards to our brand new mattresses, we usually get great feedback on how comfortable they are but I understand everyone has different taste. I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations for the comfort of the bed although I am glad that it did not ruin your overall stay with us and you still saw other great positives during your stay! Overall, I want to thank you for your great feedback and we welcome you back with opens. Have safe & happy travels!
Port Colborne
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for a night in August. The parking lot was littered with garbage. My room had poo on the seat of the toilet. Gum wrappers on table and un vacuumed. They put us in another room. The blanket had blood all over it as well as the mattress was covered in blood. No toilet paper or klenix in the room. For breakfast we waited for 10 min befor anyone came over food was ok. But them we ended up waiting for 20 minutes for a bill after asking for it. I would not recommend this hotel to my enemy!!!

• Stayed August 2014
6 Thank Carwells
Shankar N, General Manager at Best Western Plus Toronto North York Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hi Carwells. May it be constructive or positive criticism, we value all guests opinions and feedback. I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us and sincerely feel bad that you did not enjoy your time with us. As for your room, I am quite surprised that you would think that our hotel would check you into a vacant dirty room. I personally remember this issue quite clearly. You walked into the wrong room, accidentally thinking it was the room that was assigned to you upon check-in. The housekeeping staff was evidently in the room cleaning it, with the door propped open. Mistakes happen, and we completely understand although I want to make it clear that you and the front desk staff were both well aware that, that was not your assigned room. After entering the vacant dirty room with room attendants cleaning it, you then approached the front desk and they ever so kindly let you know that you mistakingly went to the wrong room and they led you to the direction of the room you originally were assigned to from the beginning. In addition I want to advise you that we have various departments at our hotel, such as housekeeping, front office, maintenance etc and everyone communicates with each other 100% in order to ensure that our guests are comfortable, in a clean room and their requests are being fulfilled. In regards to the Western Bar & Grille, I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal, the food is always a big hit with all of our guests, as well as the 15% discount we offer to all guests. As for the wait time for your bill, I am quite surprised that you waited that long although I really do apologize for the inconvenience it caused you. I have also personally spoken to my restaurant staff to make sure that guests are not waiting especially during high volume times. As for not recommending us to others, I think that you personally have taken it a bit too far as many of our guests, local & international recommend us to their friends and family worldwide. Our team strives to do their best and we truly care about our guests. Our number one goal is to excel at customer service & keep our guests happy time& time again. Have safe & happy travels!