“Functional”

Ranked #78 of 133 Hotels in Toronto
Ontario's Near North, Canada
“Functional”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We stayed at the Comfort Hotel for two nights in February. The biggest attraction was the price. We were pleased with the great rates and the free parking (our entire stay with 4 adults was just over $100.00)! The rooms are plain, this is not a luxury hotel, but for our purpose(we were only in the room to sleep) it was a great deal. It was clean and there was a restaurant on site - The Swiss Pick. We enjoyed a fine breakfast there and one late night dinner. The food was good and reasonably priced; service was also fine; it was not at all busy when we were there dining. If you are not looking for a high end hotel, and are focussed on functionality and economy, this is a good deal!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank B3achLov3r
dooley1966, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Airport North, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Thank you so much for your comments. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our focus at the Comfort Hotel is to provide clean, comfortable accommodations and provide good value for our guests. We will also be upgrading our facilities during this year as we are scheduled for renovations. All bathrooms will be completely renovated, commencing April of this year. We are currently in the process of switching our Tv's to LCD TV's in all rooms. We will also be addressing Carpets, Mattresses this year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2011

If I could give this hotel less than terrible I certainly would.

The wireless did not work and even speaking with their help line and the desk clerk coming to our room and fiddling with some wires, it still didn't work. We ended up "stealing" a signal from somewhere local that was unsecured.

I flushed the toilet and we left for dinner. When we returned, the toilet was still running.

Dinner - oh my. Well, it appeared that the Swiss Pick Restaurant attached to the hotel really wasn't too interested in having any patrons. The waitress was more concerned about setting up the tables for the New Year's Eve function the next night. She asked us if we wanted to eat or just drink. If we wanted a drink, then we could sit at the bar. I said I thought I'd like some dinner and she begrudgingly led us to a table set up for diners. When we gave our order for a draft beer and a bowl of soup for my husband and a draft beer and a salad for me, her response was, "Is that ALL?" The voice inflection was all important. I had initially wanted a bowl of French onion soup, but the chef didn't have that. I could hear him say that he was too busy making Goulash soup for the next night's big function. The Caesar was delicious, though, I must admit.

When we finally gave up on trying to get the wireless internet to work, we tried to watch TV. The TV remote didn't work. We were so tired and frustrated from a LONG day of travel that we just gave up and went to bed around 8:30. The remote probably needs new batteries, but why should we have to tell them this? Where was the room maintenance and upkeep person?

Now about the heat - it was either oven hot set on LOW, or cold when we turned it off. There was no comfortable setting. It seemed to be an older style wall unit type of heater.

When we were checking out, the desk clerk made the mistake of asking if everything had been all right. I answered NO. Now here comes a positive remark about this hotel. She gave me 20% off the stay.

Also, another positive comment I can make is that our car was not damaged after being parked in this hotel's lot for a week.

Other than that, I can't think of too much positive to say about this hotel. We won't stay here again. There are so many other places in Toronto close to the airport with shuttles to the airport for us to choose from. I would say that this hotel needs some maintenance. The room overall looked old and shabby. We did save about $100 over two nights and parking our car. I guess that's a positive as well, but I still wouldn't stay here to save $50/night.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bev1954
dooley1966, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Airport North, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Thank you for your comments, and please accept my sincere apologies for the treatment you received in the Swiss Pick Restaurant. I have shared your comments with the Restaurant owner/manager, and further advised him that this is unacceptable. We will do our best to ensure that this does not happen in the future.
With regards to the Heat and the Television, again my sincere apoligies and you are absolutely correct. Maintenance and Housekeeping should have caught the low batteries and the improper functioning heater. I would like to let you know that we are currently in th eprocess of replacing our TV's with all new LCD TV's in the rooms. 50% of the rooms have been done and the balance will be done in the next few months. We are also currently in the process of finalizing a bid to install Room energy management systems which include digital thermostats in all the rooms. This will enable guests to better control the deired temperature in the room along with better heatin/cooling units.
I am glad to see that my Guest Service agent listened to your comments and did offer some compensation.
Once again Thank you for your comments, as it is important for us to hear feedback, both positive and negative.
Huntsville, Canada
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Hotel Service was great, room was very comfortable and suit us just fine. Free shuttle to airport and free wi-fi. Bed was comfortable enough and noise was not an issue. Room was clean and had everything we needed. We also used the gym (small, but still does the trick) and the pool and jacuzzi (both very clean). This hotel is not located very close to the airport at all, but the free shuttle and free parking make it worth while. I got this deal from hotwire and I was expecting a lot less considering what I paid. Overall, it was a pleasant experience and I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
dooley1966, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Airport North, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your future stays.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I have stayed at many hotels in the Toronto Airport area and this was the worst. Room was smelly & dirty - black stains in the carpets, big holes and rips in the sheets. Blankets looked decades old. Hallway noise was terrible, could hear people coming and going at all times of the night. Internet service was awful, you have to call the front desk for a code, which sometimes works and sometimes does not. Lots of connection issues and very, very, very slow. I pretty much gave up on any browsing of the Internet or checking of e-mails while I stayed. Elevator could be very slow so sometimes took the stairs. Useless gym that smelled awful.

Room Tip: Do not stay close to the elevators
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Electriques
Ontario Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I had set my expectations low because the price was so reasonable. Someone told me that there was a fly and park program at many of the hotels near the airport. With Airways Shuttle wanting $176 for a round trip to the airport. That is totally ridiculous. So I called the hotels and Comfort Inn had a very good deal. Spend the night and leave your car for a week all for $120 including tax. They drive you to the airport in the morning and pick you up from the airport at the end of your trip. I called and they were at the airport within 10 minutes. The room was large and nicely decorated. The bathroom was very clean and they even gave me a snack box with a porridge packet, granola and fruit cup for the morning. The staff was very nice and even the driver of the shuttle was very courteous. I would recommend them to anyone. There was a restaurant and a pool but I did not use them. On top of everything they even gave me a voucher for $25 for the slots at the casino across the road.

Room Tip: I got to see the planes go by but I never heard them.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank monetsgardens
Carp, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2011

This hotel is really bad. It is noisy, babies crying, noise in the hallway, street noise. My room was not really clean, hole in the sheet, huge stain on the carpet. Internet did not work half the time, even after raising the issue with the front desk. Front desk staff did not answer the phone when I called, except once. Dated decor. Mattress not comfy. No choice of bed size offered or available. I really have nothing positive to say about the place.

Room Tip: Stay away, business travellers!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Rene B
YYZ
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We had to find a cheap place to stay when selling our house, and we got a good rate at this hotel through hotwire.
The hotel was just okay. They had updated the lobby area, which gave me hope, but the rest of the hotel seemed a little dated. The front desk clerk was more interested in her iphone than in making conversation/making us feel welcome. Kind of surly and arrogant, actually. But she got the job done, so whatever. The room was pretty tiny, the bed was small and felt shifty, the blankets had lots of rips, tears, and cigarette burns in them (classy). The pillows were awful balls of fluff. The TV didn't get very many channels. The hotel itself feels a little isolated. To use the internet you have to call down to the front desk to get a code. The first couple of codes didn't work, but the surly clerk didn't apologize or anything just kept giving us new codes in that lovely monotone voice of hers. Tried to get a bottle of Coke in the evening, but ALL of the vending machines in the hotel were not working and appeared to be vandalized or otherwise permanently broken. Had to go to the attached restaurant to purchase one can of Coke for $2.20. Insane. Again no apologies.
For $12 more, we could have stayed at the DoubleTree up the road. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple