“Just the worst”
Review of Waverley Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Toronto
Waverley Hotel
Ranked #127 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
“Just the worst”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This place is disgusting. It looks like a place people go to die/get murdered/do drugs/pay for sex (maybe not even nice enough for that!!). The whole place smells like cigarettes, the ceiling looked like it was going to cave in, and the bathroom had about an inch of water on the floor. Wasted $80 and ended up walking out of there within 30 minutes with no refund.

• Stayed April 2013
24 Thank Nabiscocf

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Sometimes life is unusual!

I was in Toronto! I don't know for what! Or, I know to much about it! After a night at The Québec's Germain (400$/night) I ended up at the Waverley, 45$/night!

Kind of places a bit weird, very!

But that night it was being sleeping on a bench's park or going to the Waverley!

I'm a lawyer specialized in financial services! Sometimes going to an hotel is difficult!

The hotel is way out, the rooms, way out!

But, at the same time, quite an experience! I grew up in a mining town! I'm used to the unusable!

But, the people at the front desk and the people living in, WAY IN!

Everybody so nice and easy! A secure place! I needed that, that night... So much...

Old, very old but clean! And so safe! Run by friendly people!

Thanks to you there! That night, I was really in deep trouble!

Merci!

Daniel Larrivee
Barrister and sollicitor

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank Daniel L
Toronto
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Have you ever watched a horror movie where the person is in a creepy place and thought " I wonder what it would feel like to actually be in that persons surroundings?". If so... AND ( you are interested in actually finding out).. just visit this dump. I have NEVER been in such a creepy place in my life. There are absolutely no words to describe the feelings that my friend and I felt walking in.
We called here because the price was a little bit cheaper then a regular rate in the city of Toronto.. The guy on the phone made it seem like a 5 star hotel so we decided to check it out. We walked in and thought we were in some sort of hostel or homeless shelter. We then asked to check out the room first before we decided on it. Make our way up the creepy stairs to find it to be a shared washroom. There were holes in the wall. The light fixtures were hanging on by wires..the beds lay uneven on the floor, the nasty comforter (if thats what you want to call it) was i'm sure from the 1800's... something that a homeless person wouldnt even want. The bathrooms were absolutely disturbing and im sure i could say more but we didnt have the "privilege" of finding out. The lights didnt work in the "room" or bed if you will.. so im not sure how one could find their way in on a dark night...(to the readers,writers,etc out there, not very promising) .
After leaving there and feeling completely violated from the creepy guy in the bed or "room" beside us.. we found a better hotel for a little bit more but WORTH IT. I would rather risk walking around the streets all night then catching some kind of disease or bug in this so called hotel.

The funny part about this place is their website. IT must have been published in the 1800's when the hotel was first started. very unprofessional. Under the heading Welcome they start off by promoting their hotel as being one of the oldest hotels in Toronto. LOL they got one thing right,thats for sure. Also to the creep who keeps runs this ..place.. LEARN HOW TO SPELL or speak english. It also specifies that each room comes with double bed, color TV( Well.. its 2012 i would hope so) and bathroom. As i have said previously its a shared bathroom, their tv's are one of those 6 inch tv's my grandmother would use in her KITCHEN. I wouldnt even be sure there was cable. Their next heading is Bed Rooms... notice how i spaced it..again LEARN HOW TO SPELL..they have a laundry facility? I'd be scared to see what that looked like.

EVERYTHING about this place is sketchy. I wouldn't recommend this spot to a cockroach...but hey they would fit in because thats where they seem to hang out.. i dont blame them though... its a place where it pretty much screams COCKROACH AND BEDBUGS WELCOME. I would stay there too if i was them... they are probably never bothered by those poisonous sprays..so why not hang around eh?

Spend the extra 20,50,100 dollars if you must. Trust me you will come out of that place speechless. ITS A DUMP and to this day my friend and I still cant explain to anyone the way we felt that day because no one would understand unless you felt it.

Heres the link to their website if you dont believe me:

yours VERY truly,

horrified

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
24 Thank Lawny F

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2010

The sign on the hotel says ‘Hotel Waverly’ (w/o the ‘e’) but their receipts say ‘Waverley Hotel’ (w/ the ‘e’). This hotel rents on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. The hotel continuously has an ad in a local paper that says $600/mo. but if anyone asks the desk clerk, they will be told that those rooms are not available and a single room with shared washroom facilities down the hallway are from $700/mo. and up.

There were no cockroaches in my 2nd floor room but I saw cockroaches in both the 2nd and 3rd floor shared washrooms. The room itself looks okay – if you don’t look too closely.

There is a small sink in the room, but the fluorescent light fixture above the sink did not work. The mirror epoxied to the wall above the sink used to be a sliding-door mirror from a medicine cabinet at one time. There is no plug for the sink. And if you use a hair dryer, electric shaver, or curling iron, you will need your own extension cord. There is only one electrical outlet in the room, which is beneath the window and under the desk-table. You will need to get down on your hands and knees and crawl under the desk-table to plug in your extension cord.

One bedside table had the front wooden panels missing with cigarette burns all over the table top. A credenza with 6 drawers had 2 drawers with the bottoms missing. The so-called colour TV in the room only had one channel in nuclear day-glo colours. The colour and tint adjustment knobs apparently don’t work. The sliding windows leave a 5 mm gap on the right side when you close the left window, and leave a 5 mm gap on the left side when you close the right window. There is no lamp in the room and the one fluorescent tube in the ceiling is too dim to read by. And there is a no-longer used connecting door between my room and the room next door – you can hear everything going on next door.

The worst thing about this hotel is the extremely loud noise level. This hotel shares premises beside and above the Silver Dollar Room tavern, which have live bands playing, and the Comfort Zone, which hosts 24-hours special events. When I asked the desk clerk about this he said it was for one night only and wouldn’t move me to another room, but he lied. The Comfort Zone starts playing their music at 4 AM Thursday or Friday morning and don’t stop until 4 AM Monday morning. The only time the Comfort Zone stops playing their music is when the Silver Dollar has a band playing on stage. To give you an idea about how loud it is in my room, when I lie down in bed I can feel the vibrations from the music below.

I was at this hotel for one month. They require you to move out on the 31st of the month before 11 AM instead of the next day on the 1st of the month, which is actually one month minus one day instead of a full month. This hotel is also next door to the Scott Mission and you will see the homeless people lining up to wait for the soup kitchen to open up. Save your money for some place better.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo