“A really enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Downtown Home Inn

Downtown Home Inn
Ranked #6 of 115 Toronto B&B and Inns
Kamakura, Japan
“A really enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

I stayed at the Downtown Home Inn for five nights with various family members -- my husband and I in one room, my mother in another, and my brother and his two sons in another. We were all really happy with it. Unal and James are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable, and it is close to the subway station.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
San Sebastian - Donostia, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Very nicely appointed place, very comfy bed, good shower. Buffet breakfast described as "all you can enjoy" which I loved. Free wifi and a computer in the lounge too. No parking outside, but they arranged (for a fee) parking on a street opposite. Good location for bars / cafes and walkable to the centre.

We did have a problem with overbooking, where after the first night they told us we had to move to the sister b&b in another part of town - they were very apologetic, paid for our car parking and bought us a bottle of wine, so no problem there. I have see other reviews though that said overbooking had occurred, so maybe they have an issue with that. The accommodation they moved us to was not as nice (not as newly decorated anyway), and in a less desirable area - when we were walking back at night we didn't feel too safe, and it was around the corner from a homeless shelter, but it was only one night and the room in the other place had a private roof terrace, which was nice. Overall a good experience, although I can see how having to move would upset some people (we got free car parking out of it though and these things happen so I'm not going to complain!)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

On my second visit to Toronto as an individual traveller I stayed at the downtown home inn for one night, and liked absolutely everything. It made a striking difference with my previous stay in a hostel in the same area (sleepless night in a stuffy and quite grubby room), though the price was almost the same.
After the "hostel's experience" I was particularly careful in choosing a place to stay, and decided on this one because of all the good reviews that I'd read. Sometimes the reviews don't match the reality, but Downtown Home Inn really justified its name and it did feel like home. The atmosphere was very quiet and cozy, the room was immaculately clean (the same as a bathroom -cleaner and more beautiful then in my own place) and nicely decorated. What was also important for me, the wi-fi was very reliable with a good speed. And I got to know very nice people -the owner and some other guests there as we were having breakfast in a relaxed atmosphere. Here I can't help but add that the breakfast was really good with a wide selection of options available. And of course, just as almost everyone else's mentioned in their reviews - the location is very convenient, but it can be seen from the map.
Now, as I've spent more then two weeks in Toronto, visiting the attractions and meeting people, I must say, that my stay at the Downtown Home Inn has been among the nicest experiences, more then just a place to spend a night at.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Anastasia M
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

After reading all the wonderful reviews online, I stayed at the downtown home in from August 8th to August 15th in 2012. The reviews were completely right.

Not only is Downtown Home Inn very reasonably priced for being right in the middle of downtown, I had a wonderful experience with all aspects. I paid $73 a night for the Lily room, which was in the middle of the second floor. Other hotels in the area are 100+, and I’m willing to bet they are nowhere near as nice as this place.

I know noise is a common complaint but it was very quiet in my room. The bed was the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in. I was very sad to leave it behind. The fixtures in the bathroom were beautiful- I loved the waterfall sink and huge showerhead!

It is located right in the middle of the action on Church and Wellesley. There are tons of bars and clubs within easy walking distance, as well as grocery stores, restaurants, and clothing stores. The north/south and east/west subway lines are only a few blocks away, as well as a street car that will take you directly to Kensington Market.

James and Unal were both wonderful hosts. They were very friendly and did everything they could to make my stay pleasant and easy. They will give you a ton of information about everything from restaurants in the neighborhood to payment options to what is served for breakfast when you reserve a room, and get back to any emailed questions promptly.

Breakfast had a wide variety of vegetarian options (awesome, because I’m a vegetarian).

The whole place has the feel of a beautiful old house (which it is), and I felt very comfortable and peaceful while there.

I know that I will absolutely stay here if I ever go to Toronto again, and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a peaceful haven right in the middle of the city.

Room Tip: The Lily Room was very quiet and peaceful, but right next to the bathroom, so you could hear people...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Sage394
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Being first visitor Toronto for 4 days and have stayed at the Downtown Home Inn.
Never expected such a perfect room, always clean washroom and decent self service breakfast buffet in B&B. I'm deeply moved by delicate service also.
Very short walk from Wellesley subway station and trendy gay-friendly neighborhood is very good for dining and shopping.
Thank you for everything James!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Jeju, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

This bed and breakfast is one of the best I have ever been to. It is clean and tidy, Our host James was very helpful, and made our stay comfortable. The breakfast is great and the area is very convenient. Thank you for a great stopover in Toronto Downtown Home Inn. We will return.

Room Tip: Any room is great here, the house is very clean and quiet..
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We arrive in a time that the host was not there BUT, we had notes for me, giving the right directions to check in, pretty easily and very nice! Rooms are simple and modern, very clean, cozy bed! Breakfast is "do your own", cereal and bread is on the kitchen island and juices, milk, egg, cheese, etc. are in the fridge, you do fell like you are at home. We do recommend it!

• Stayed July 2012