“Excellent B&B”

Ranked #6 of 114 Toronto B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent B&B”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed for three nights here and felt very at home. The room was comfortable, spacious and clean and the Inn has an excellent location - close to shops and restaurants and only a 5 minute walk to the nearest subway.
The host James was very friendly and very helpful. The self-service breakfast was excellent too - lots of variety and very satisfying!
Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Poddingtons2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed three nights and wish I could have stayed longer. As soon as I arrived I felt at home, and very much enjoyed my room - just like on the picture, spatious and very confortable. Very good location and excellent value - I'll definitely come back next time I am in Toronto.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alex S
Carleton Place
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at the Downtown Home Inn while attending a conference at the nearby U of Toronto. The location was excellent for my purposes: a 10-minute walk to the university, close to shops and restaurants, just a block and a half from the subway stop. The room was clean and comfortable--exactly as pictured and advertised. The shared bathroom was small but clean. As others have said, this isn't the place to stay if you have problems with stairs: you have to go up 5-6 just to enter the building, and then all the rooms are up or down narrow flights. I liked being able to get my own breakfast ready from the vast assortment of cereals, breads, fruits, yogurts, etc. and eating on my own timeline. The only two (minor) drawbacks are these: (1) I desperately wanted to wash my feet after a day of walking here and there in sandals on Toronto's dusty, construction-filled streets, but there is only a shower, no bath, and my towelling didn't include a washcloth, so rinsing off my feet only was difficult. I managed, but it was tricky. (2) There was no a/c, so I kept my window open a bit, but there's a moderate amount of nightlife on the street, including an adjacent restaurant with the patio right under the rooms, so it was a bit noisy. But that said, if one is staying downtown, one should expect a bit of noise.

Room Tip: The Lily room is at the top of the first flight of stairs and right beside the bathroom. Very good f...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CarletonTravellor
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Nestled on a quiet, little street in the Church-Weselley neighborhood of TO, this lovely B & B provides exactly what one desires: a clean and comfortable room at an affordable price. We stayed in the third floor room that had the bonus of an outdoor deck and enjoyed the extra space it provided. James is very friendly and accomodating; he arranged a parking permit for our car on the street across the road. We love the neighborhood and will definitely return for another restful stay at the Inn during our next visit.

1 Thank RIS
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Perfect location for any recreational trip to Toronto. Situated near downtown shopping and great concert venues. Comfortable room and easy access to stocked kitchen for breakfast, a great alternative to any hotel experience! Well managed. We will definitely plan on returning!

Beirut, Lebanon
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Nice little place on a quiet street in a usually busy area. It's in the more fun part of the city. A lot of bars and restaurants just down the road. It's also close to banks with ATM machines, convenience stores, a barber shop and a lot of other shops that you might need during your stay.

I stayed in the Tulip room, probably one of the larger ones located on the 2nd floor. Very comfortable queen size bed with a sofa the size of a bed. It can easily fit 3 people. It's got a chest of drawers and a small closet. Maybe too spacious for 1 person.

The inn itself is very cozy and comfortable. Tastefully furnished. Because I'm used to 4-5 star hotels, I was worried about sharing the bathroom with others but I was quite surprised how clean it was all the time and I never had to wait for a turn. Didn't use the lobby / living room much but it's lovely got 2 large windows and leather couches.

Breakfast is a nice collection of cereals, fruits, cookies, coffee, teas, bagels, cream cheese, milk etc... The best part is that it gets you to meet and chat with other guests on a the same dining table. A great conversation starter (I'm usually a shy person but I like to meet new people - perfect spot.)

I met 2 of the owners. They're very nice and helpful. Self check-in and they'll be there for your checkout. You can call them any time you need any help.

Overall I thought it was great value for my money, great location and good fun.

Room Tip: I was very lucky with my room (The Tulip): - 2 Large windows overlooking the street - very spacious...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Our purpose in staying here was preparation to fly out of Buffalo after of two weeks of touring Ontario and Quebec. I wanted to stay two nights so we could take a look at something good for one day before heading back home to Austin Texas. The room was nice for us - it was a comfortable queen sized bed great for two people. This particular room was quite small (Lily) so a couple might only want to spend two nights here, but you could stay longer of course if you wanted. There are larger rooms available for more money. The bathrooms were quite elegant, clean and nicer than mine at home that's for sure.

The house was very clean and well managed. I liked staying here much better than say, a Holiday Inn. I never had to wait to use a shower or toilet, but I can imagine during high season two bathrooms for 6 rooms might be at the limit of convenience. But the price is reasonable considering this is a nicely updated old town-home.

I very much liked the relaxed system for breakfast where you just come down and eat breakfast whenever you feel like it - lots of juices, cereals, milk (dairy and non dairy), cream cheese, fruits, eggs, hell anything you want pretty much for the average north american or european breakfast.

The living room is really cool - leather couches and big windows to look out of along with useful literature for the longer stay. We just visited the Distillery district and it was pretty cool - take the 75 bus for a straight shot down there $3 CDN one way. I wanted to see Casa Loma too, but that will have to wait for next time.

All in all, this place is a great value, I like staying there just fine and I would stay there again if I were coming to Toronto. It is possible that a picky traveler would find things to complain about but one must understand the price for what you are getting is very good and the location is very good as well. There are certainly no show-stoppers here. We are 40-somethings professionals. I think most reasonable people would find this to be a superb place for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor because the 3rd floor seems a bit of a climb with narrow steep st...