“Great location, decent room, weird building”
Review of Downtown Home Inn

Downtown Home Inn
Ranked #6 of 117 Toronto B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great location, decent room, weird building”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

2.5 stars

If I had to tell you one thing about the Downtown Home Inn, it's that it isn't an inn, at least not In the American sense of the term. It feels more like a dorm to me.

We stayed in the basement apartment suite. From what we could tell online, it was the only space with a private bathroom, and that's non negotiable for us. The suite itself was comfortable - a living room with a sofa and chair, a small desk, a pass-through kitchen on the way to the bedroom. It's all furnished with IKEA, so it has that cheerful Scandinavian feel. There are basic amenities downstairs - a fridge and small stove, silverware and plates, and so on.

There are three things to keep in mind about this basement space. First, it's freezing. The first night we were wearing jackets inside, and it was literally 80 degrees outside. It got better as the days went on, but it was still cold. Second, you can hear people moving around upstairs especially at breakfast time, so if you're a light sleeper, pass on this. Third, you need to be comfortable with a flight of stairs to get down there and with a few random steps downstairs (a big step down into the apartment, and a random step between the living room and kitchen). All in all, it felt a bit like sleeping in an Aunt's comfortable refurbished basement. (The highlight : the second to last day when there was a pounding on the door and the gas company had come to read the meter. No one from the inn accompanied this man to our room. They just sent him downstairs. It was odd, and definitely not an inn experience.)

As for the place itself, it had the feeling that no one was running the show. In other words, it felt unmanned. When we arrived on Tuesday, the communal area was a disaster - boxes of open cereal everywhere, dirty towels on the floor, dishes piled up, and so on. It looked better by Tuesday afternoon, but it wasn't a good first impression. The guy who was working here during the week gave the impression of sweet cluelessness - most of the time when we were coming and going, he seemed to be either watching movies or playing on the computer with a man who seemed to be his friend. Except for the time when we saw the man who owns the business next door yelling at the inn worker for throwing trash out illegally. Again, not a good impression. He also constantly seemed to have bathroom floor mats drying in the banister between the kitchen and the basement which didn't add to the aesthetics of the place.

As for breakfast, at an American inn, someone would an effort (e.g. Take the cereal out of boxes and put it in some glass containers, put the bread in a basket so it doesn't look like you just made a Costco run). It doesn't have to be fancy or even home cooked, but at least it would look like someone cared. Here, about ten bottles of Smuckers seem to always be on the table, and there's open boxes of cereal, bread, and milk. It's pretty low budget and low effort, and they don't make it seem otherwise, especially since everything is always out on the counter.

There also seemed to be no systems here around room maintenance - when we arrived we had no towels, and at 2pm, when none had arrived, the man working upstairs told me he was still "making them." Two days later, we asked for a fresh towel since no one seemed to replenish them, and if we could throw away our garbage since our small pail was overflowing. Two days later, someone had come into our room to place a towel and to empty the trash. I'm not sure what their systems are around cleaning, but it was strange that no one bothered to explain.

It was also generally unclear who was running the place. One day there was an older woman outside watering plants. We never saw her again. One night at around 11pm, we came home, and there was a tall guy standing behind the counter. We had never seen him before. He might work here, but he didn't say anything to greet us or indicate as much, so we just kept walking. That also felt strange. Aside from the sweet clueless guy, I'm not sure if we encountered anyone else who works at the Inn. This gave the whole place a serious dorm vibe, and the sense that no one was really running things.

Finally, I hate to be a complainer, but the keypad in the the door felt oddly unsafe to me - who knows how many guests have had that code, and if the inn ever bothers to change it. It seems much safer to have a finite number of front door keys - say six- that you can keep track of. I found myself wondering if this is the system they have evolved because it allows the place to stay unmanned (they send you an email when you make the reservation with the front door code, and telling you the key to your room will be in the door in case no one is here to greet you. You could cancel your reservation and still have a code to the building).

While the location is great, I don't think I would stay here again. The setup was just too strange.

Room Tip: Downstairs apt has private bathroom,
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Downtown Inn BNB is in an excellent location in the heart of the Gay village right off Church street in Toronto's downtown core. A slight room and entry code mix-up were quickly resolved but the accommodations more than met my needs and I am pleased to have had the opportunity to be their guest. I will definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed July 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed for three nights here and felt very at home. The room was comfortable, spacious and clean and the Inn has an excellent location - close to shops and restaurants and only a 5 minute walk to the nearest subway.
The host James was very friendly and very helpful. The self-service breakfast was excellent too - lots of variety and very satisfying!
Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Poddingtons2014
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed three nights and wish I could have stayed longer. As soon as I arrived I felt at home, and very much enjoyed my room - just like on the picture, spatious and very confortable. Very good location and excellent value - I'll definitely come back next time I am in Toronto.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alex S
Carleton Place
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at the Downtown Home Inn while attending a conference at the nearby U of Toronto. The location was excellent for my purposes: a 10-minute walk to the university, close to shops and restaurants, just a block and a half from the subway stop. The room was clean and comfortable--exactly as pictured and advertised. The shared bathroom was small but clean. As others have said, this isn't the place to stay if you have problems with stairs: you have to go up 5-6 just to enter the building, and then all the rooms are up or down narrow flights. I liked being able to get my own breakfast ready from the vast assortment of cereals, breads, fruits, yogurts, etc. and eating on my own timeline. The only two (minor) drawbacks are these: (1) I desperately wanted to wash my feet after a day of walking here and there in sandals on Toronto's dusty, construction-filled streets, but there is only a shower, no bath, and my towelling didn't include a washcloth, so rinsing off my feet only was difficult. I managed, but it was tricky. (2) There was no a/c, so I kept my window open a bit, but there's a moderate amount of nightlife on the street, including an adjacent restaurant with the patio right under the rooms, so it was a bit noisy. But that said, if one is staying downtown, one should expect a bit of noise.

Room Tip: The Lily room is at the top of the first flight of stairs and right beside the bathroom. Very good f...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CarletonTravellor
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Nestled on a quiet, little street in the Church-Weselley neighborhood of TO, this lovely B & B provides exactly what one desires: a clean and comfortable room at an affordable price. We stayed in the third floor room that had the bonus of an outdoor deck and enjoyed the extra space it provided. James is very friendly and accomodating; he arranged a parking permit for our car on the street across the road. We love the neighborhood and will definitely return for another restful stay at the Inn during our next visit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RIS
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Perfect location for any recreational trip to Toronto. Situated near downtown shopping and great concert venues. Comfortable room and easy access to stocked kitchen for breakfast, a great alternative to any hotel experience! Well managed. We will definitely plan on returning!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple