“An average imitation of the first Le Germain in Toronto” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square

Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square
Ranked #4 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
London, United Kingdom
“An average imitation of the first Le Germain in Toronto”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

I spent two nights here on business in September.

Let me start by saying that I love Le Germain on Mercer Street (see my previous 5 star review). I have stayed there 4-5 times and would have done so again had it not been sold out this trip.

Attractive looking hotel, very contemporary - almost identical finish to Mercer Street Germain. room looked very nice and was very clean and well furnished. Comfortable bed.

Reasons this hotel doesn't match up to its sister property (and why it gets an average rating):

Service - good but not great.
Food : breakfast was poor. Poor choice - not kept well stocked up.
Bathroom : the Mercer Street Germain has the best shower of any hotel I have stayed in. This shower looked the part - but the water barely trickled out. Annoying.
Fire Alarm : went off in the middle of the night. Not the hotel's fault but for the 20 mins or so was ringing no communication at all from the hotel over loudspeaker system or phone or anything at all. People in corridor walking around at 1am confused and angry. No word the following morning either.
Bill : phantom mini bar items added to bill - not just one but many. Removed on request but it was about 4-5 items!
Kettle : i smelt burning on second night and couldn't figure out a clicking sound. Eventually figured out it was my kettle that had been left on with nothing in it. I went nowhere near it - so was not my error.
Location : good, but not much to do in the immediate vicinity other than the huge Sports Bar.

Many of these things may get solved as the hotel settles down - but I for one will be staying at Mercer Street on future visits. So one way or he other they will still get my business!

Room Tip: Perhaps a lower floor to get some water pressure in the showers?
2 Thank Mungo888
MDHenderson, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Dear Mungo888,

Thanks for your loyalty!

I have taken note of your comments, and have already reached out to the various departments to make sure that each item is being addressed.

My colleagues at Hotel Le Germain Toronto will look forward to your next visit to Mercer St.

Nevertheless, if you do return to Maple Leaf Square, please feel free to contact me in advance so we can ensure that your experience exceeds all expectations.

Thanks again on behalf of both Germain Hotels in Toronto.

Murray Henderson
Director of Front Office

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

This is one of two Hotel Le Germain facilities in Toronto. The original is on Mercer Street and is a better experience than its new sibling at Maple Leaf Square. The designs are basically the same: contemporary finishes, fairly streamlined, overall clean and appealing, if not a little bit dated. I stayed in the smallest/lowest level room, which was a good size and featured very good light through a giant picture window. The view was of a construction site and highway, which was not so great, but that will get better over time as other projects in this emerging area are completed. Many of the rooms feature stall showers, as mine did, which I find very appealing. What is not appealing and leaves one to scratch his or her head is the incomprehensible lack of proper closet space. My room had two hanging closets, which were part of a "system", but had only two drawers and no shelves. The two drawers are located at floor level, so you have to bend down and touch your toes in order to access them. The space above the drawers was empty and useless, no hanging, no shelves, no hooks, just empty. In addition, the in room safe is located in an equally inconvenient floor level location so it's impossible to use without being on your hand and knees. The lighting and HVAC systems are an absurd, failed attempt at cutting edge efficient. The only way to turn on the lights is to insert your key in a slot by the door. This means of course that you have to leave your key there instead of in your wallet or bag, so the chances of forgetting it when you leave are high. Also, the privacy/service buttons, while sleek in replacing a door hanger, are located at the bed, not by the door, so as you're leaving, you have no way to see how it was left, and if you want to change it on your way out, you have to go back to the bed. The service is willing and friendly, but not quite up to par for the price of the hotel. I spent about $440 per night for the cheapest room before taxes or gratuities. I did not get turn down service any of the nights I was there (I asked once the first night) and the housekeeping in the room was a little haphazard (the clothing that I was forced to leave on the desk for lack of adequate closet space was always re-arranged after a housekeeping visit; some fruit that was delivered as a welcome gift - a nice touch - was left to decay for a few days before being removed, etc.). The common spaces (bar, breakfast area, etc) are adequate, but not luxurious or welcoming. Finally, the location is a disaster, at least in its current state. One of Toronto's nicest features is the walking accessibility of most downtown areas. While one can walk to most places from this location (and I did), it requires going under a dark, filthy underpass on a narrow sidewalk to get to southernmost portion of the downtown area. In addition, the surrounding area is one giant construction site, so there's no break from the noise, dirt and unappealing view. This will obviously improve with time, but it makes for a very unpleasant surrounding at present. I've stayed many times at the other Hotel Le Germain on Mercer Street, and I would recommend that one over this location despite the fact that this one is newer.

Room Tip: The west and south sides of the hotel are noisier because of the highway and construction.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 91150
MDHenderson, Manager at Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf Square, responded to this review, 19 September 2011
Dear cbm3NYC,

Thanks for staying with us, and for the feedback.

We agree that the York Street underpass isn’t the most attractive route to take. The good news is that there are multiple alternatives that pass by Union Station, the CN Tower, the Rogers Centre and the Air Canada Centre, which provide a much more interesting view.

Regarding the key-card lighting system, we have incorporated a host of environmental features at the hotel, and feel that this system is consistent with who we are. We’re mindful that this is unique for a North American hotel, and try our best to ensure that guests are informed of its finer points.

Most notably, please know that we are here to help, and are experts at maximizing your comfort. Feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to Toronto and we can look at tailoring your hotel experience.

Safe travels,

Murray Henderson
Director of Front Office
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2011

In town for the Toronto Film Festival, I ended up leaving another hotel (Hyatt Regency -- a dump) and switching to this hotel mid-stay.

The staff here is excellent and go out of their way EVERY time you need something.

The rooms are very nice (even though mine faced the back of hotel and an office building -- didn't matter) and bathrooms are nicer. Great beds, very comfortable. Great room service. Great bathroom products.

Hotel has a house car (an Audi A8) that is available throughout the day to take you where you need to go.

Hotel is slightly out of the way, but again, it's so nice it didn't matter. And you can just hitch a ride in the car anyhow.

Price is great for what you're getting, honestly. I've stayed in many Four Seasons, many Ritz Carltons and without a doubt the service here is better.

I would stay at this hotel again in a second.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Brendan M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2011

Great design, wonderful service & great location - my new favorite hotel in Toronto. Rooms are a generous size with an interesting layout and really well equipped. The free wifi is a great touch and a lovely change to all other hotels who still seem to think it's ok to charge a high room rate plus a fee for wifi. My only "could do better" is the bar shuts at midnight which on a Friday seemed a little early but the bar staff were so great they managed to get a drink and were very apologetic.

All in all a great experience and makes me look forward to my next Toronto trip.

Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

We're not best friends with Murphy. He has played with us a lot over the years.
On the way to a wonderful weekend in New York, he obviously had to send hurricane Irene on us!
So we ended up in Toronto instead. But what a wonderful "accident" that turned out to be.
We had no idea what awaited us. But already at check in we realised this would be a great weekend after all. We received a fantastic welcome, a lovely room with a wonderful round bed and a large bathroom with a nice view of Toronto's skyline. But what impressed us the most was the genuinely service interested staff who gave everything and more to ensure our "miserable weekend" would be memorable after all - it was!
So many thanks to you all, especially Evan and colleagues at the reception for your friendliness and sympathy and to Gregory the concierge for all tips from "hidden getaways" to great restaurants.

We had no plans to go to Toronto, but we are already looking forward to our next time

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Magnus L
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

One of the nicest hotels I have stayed in for any price range. Rooms have wonderful layout with thoughtful touches in design. The service is outstanding both front desk and coincidence. Evan at the front desk was particularly friendly and helpful. I will stay there every time in Toronto. Location can't be beat too.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

After only two nights, my husband and I are in love with Hotel Le Germain Maple Leaf and can't wait to stay again! We finished our honeymoon at Le Germain this weekend (August 19-21st) and had planned on lots of sight-seeing activities. The concierge service, in particular Susan and Gregory, was phenomenal! They spent as much time with us as needed to help plan our sight-seeing and dinner trips. They listened to what we wanted to do and came up with great day trip itineries.

Our room was beautifully appointed - very modern with a most amazing view of the city. We could see the CN tower lights at night! And the bathroom! The soaking tub was slightly oversized (I took advantage after a hard day of sightseeing) and the shower had a very cool rainforest showerhead - very relaxing! There was a nice-sized flat panel tv, wireless internet access, and in-room safe. Switches to turn all room lights were conveniently located next to the bed. And, I should mention, for extra security, you need to use your room key to operate the elevators. Unless you're a guest of the hotel, you cannot access the room floors.

The advertised continental breakfast was yummy! Le Germain offered the usual danish and bread assortments and then bumped it up a notch with meats and cheeses, fresh fruit, and oatmeal. And the coffee! Available 24/7 is a coffee machine that I want to own - it made the best latte I've had in a long time! You could also choose espresso, etc, but oh, the latte!! And my husband loved the huge selection of teas.

Getting around the city was very doable also thanks to the hotel. Located directly next to Union Station, public transportation was never a problem. The hotel doormen were always happy to help with cabs. And, if more convenient, the hotel also provides a car service which was available to drop us off and pick us up when we asked.

For tourists, please know that the CN tower, Roger Center, Union Station, Steam Whistler Brewery, Longo's (a super-supermarket) and, of course, the Air Canada Center are all within walking distance. If you need help planning your activities, be sure to take advantage of the wonderful concierge service provided by Susan and Gregory!

Not much left to say except that we love this hotel, the people who work there, the comfort it offers, and all the amenities. I have no hesitation recommending this hotel to tourists - and I would think, to business people, too, although i can't speak personallly about the business-point-of-view.

Great hotel. Great, friendly staff.

Room Tip: Looking for a romantic getaway? Ask for room 732 or 832 - the only rooms with a king-sized round bed...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple