“Never more”

Chinatown Travelers Home
Ranked #67 of 106 Speciality Lodging in Toronto
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We came first night and they didn't have room which we reserved, so we got "discount" and shared room in different house.. Bathroom was ugly, but the room was ok... Next morning i found the cocroach in my bed... We try to get refund for the second night, but only thing we got was an email adress.. After couple minutes of complaining we got another room in different house.. Finally the room was clean, but shower and toilet in the same room as beds. I'll never visit this hostel again...

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Kozlik1

Reviewed 4 August 2012

The staff is friendly and helpful and its a cheap place to stay. It's also located within chinatown where you can get many good finds for eating. Short walk to downtown. Public transportation nearby. Kitchen was small and ill equipped and could've done with basic cleaning facilities in wash rooms. Quiet street. the rooms were clean. I would definitely stay there next time i go to Toronto.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

This was by far the most disgusting place I have ever stayed. It was very dirty, my room (private with 2 singles) smelt of urine, had peanut shells/food all over the floor when we arrived and was infested with flies. There is a kitchen but you are not allowed to use it. We stayed here because it was the cheapest place in Toronto and it has a really good location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed in this hostel for a couple of weeks and DONT recommend it at all! We only stayed because it was cheap, and we are on a budget, otherwise I would recommend others to look elsewhere! When we first arrived Emily and Eva were running the office and kept the place sparkling clean. THey were both very nice and helpful and we didnt mind staying. However, they have since left the hostel and the place is a mess. Every other day there is a report of BED BUGS infesting peoples rooms, the bathrooms havent been cleaned since the girls left, there is never any toilet paper in the bathrooms (we have had to keep our own in our room and carry it back and forth) The kitchens are not equipped with enough cooking utensils and the fidges smell rotten! We are really disappointed in the level of service provided now that Eva and Emily have left, as the lady that has taken over doesnt speak ANY ENGLISH and doesnt keep the hostel clean and livable. The internet is on, but it drop out constantly!! These guys are in a prime location, right in the heart of china town, where the food is cheap and you are walking distance from most things BUT the hostel is disgustingly dirty and infested with BED BUGS. What more can I say .....

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Mike L, Manager at Chinatown Travelers Home, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

There are no more bed bugs any more. bed bugs is old history.

clean is our top list. we are small and low rate but we keep clean as no where like us

Reviewed 26 June 2011

I think this place would be shut down if the fire department ever showed up to do an inspection. The room I stayed in had no way to escape if there was a fire (no windows in room). Actually there was a window, but it opened into the interior hallway, same as the door! In the USA, this is a fire code violation. The so-called security cameras are not even connected to anything! Just follow the wires and it's a sham. The place is FULL of BEDBUGS and there are mice. Old mattresses are thrown on the roof out back and debris on front porch. The only good thing I can say is the young lady who managed this junk-hole was really nice. Never will stay there again though.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Myself and a friend booked this hostel whilst backpacking round northern America.
We arrived in Toronto after an over night bus journey from New York City. We found the Chinatown travellers home in our tired state and was told that our room wasn't ready, so we went to sleep in the park at the end of the street until 3pm. We went back to the hostel at 3pm when the woman told us that the room still wasn't ready - she told us to come back at 5pm. We returned to the hostel at 5pm to be told that there wasn't a room for us and they had overbooked. There were also 8 other people stood on the doorstep of the hostel with us, who also had nowhere to stay.
We were told to get on a bus out of town to an area called York. We said that we wouldn't get on the bus because we didn't know where we were going. An hour later a car pulled up and took us to York ... all in all a DREADFUL EXPERIENCE!!!! DO NOT BOOK!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Hayleyandmarvin
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Upon arrival I was informed I needed to pay tax on top of what had been agreed at reservation. Having read different reviews, I was expecting that.
I asked to see the room before I paid and I was shown a room with no bathroom. I said I booked an en-suite and after a short discussion between 2 members of staff, I was shown to a room with a private bathroom, microwave and fridge. There was also a clothing rack and a TV in the room. The bed consists of a firm mattress placed on top of two wooden pallets. I was given two pillows and a sheet, no duvet. I was very cold at night (end of March) as the heating would switch on for a couple of minutes only a few times a day.
The bathroom floor was covered in hair and mould in the corners. There was a horrible smell coming from the plugholes. Room floors were also covered in hair, so it seems they never clean after their guests. So if you book it, be prepared to clean it yourself.
Unfortunately they do have bed bugs as I suffered a lot of bites all over my body, including face. Not good.
Good points:
- 10 minute walk from downtown
- hot water all day long
- fairly quiet location
- fridge and microwave provided in private rooms
- good wi-fi connection
- telephone provided in the room
Bad points:
- dirt and smell in the bathroom
- bed bugs
- staff with limited Engish and not very pleasant
I never used their kitchen, so can't comment on that.
I'd say if you need to save money and are looking for a place to stay for a night or two, go for it. Any longer than that, you may want to book somewhere else. All in all not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo