“Chinatown Travelers Home”

Ranked #65 of 100 Speciality Lodging in Toronto
Vancouver
“Chinatown Travelers Home”
Reviewed 22 November 2013

31 Grange Avenue, Toronto--one of the 3 location of Chinatown Travelers Home.
I stayed one night in May, the price was cheap, but the room was terrible!
The bugs all over the bed, I can't sleep whole night! A really bad experience I had there.

Room Tip: Never go that place.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank F Z

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

We only booked 2 nights to start with as we were a bit cautious of past reviews. We did have to wait a while for someone to meet us at the house but it was easy to find. We had booked a 2 person private room and the ended up taking us to another building a few blocks away.

There are absolutely no extras here so don't expect them, however if you are looking for a clean room in a great location for $50 a night then this is your place. We had an attached bathroom and the manager bought us a fan as it was quite hot. We stayed 4 nights in the end. It was all we would expect for the price and we would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
Singapore
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Prior to our actual arrival, we read the various reviews about how horrible and inhabitable the hostel is. We were rather apprehensive, but we decided to give it a shot as we were tight on budget.
There wasn't much problem finding the place as it was centrally located, but it within a housing estate.
Quick summary of the hostel - Atmosphere was absent, service was mediocre, cleanliness was average, location was awesome, amenities were basic, price was dirt cheap.
The room was small, but it had the basic - bed, pillow and sheets (NO BEDBUGS! We checked intensely)

In general, if you're paying $20 per night in a large city like Toronto, you really can't expect much. I would recommend this place to those who are not fuzzy and view the hostel as merely a place to sleep. There's nothing much in this hostel, other than it's really affordable and has a good location.

Room Tip: The first or second level, avoid the basement.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank genhxa2707
Kenosha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We arrived pretty late at night (drove from Chicago w/ lots of traffic and construction). The profile on a few different websites implied that there would be a night manager available- this is not the case. Called the phone number scribbled onto a piece of paper taped to the reception room door with the word "night manager" scrawled underneath. A man picks up the phone and tells me that he didn't know there was anyone coming to check in that night, that we should've gotten there earlier and that he wasn't going to do anything for us. We left and checked into a different place for the weekend and never looked back. Don't waste your time (or money).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with StudentUniverse

3 Thank Rachael K

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 July 2013

This is literally the worst place I ever stayed in and I travel a lot.
It is situated within a living quarter and really hard to find. I think I would not have managed it without a Taxi. Luckily it is in the center, so the taxi was not that expensive. The location is the only good thing about this hostel but there are hostels which are far better located and are not more expensive.
It was really creepy on my arrival because there was no hosteling atmosphere. Just a door with a high security lock and a phone where you were supposed to call. The person on the other end had a hard time to understand me. For me it was likewise, she had a real strong accent.
To picture the bad condition:
No reception, you have to call them for everything and they came to the hostel after several hours, so you had to stay and wait or got the chance to miss them.
There was only one bathroom for a whole floor.
The bathroom was dirty and covered with all kinds of staff including head and pubic hear. When there was toilet paper it was wet and dirty too, including red droplets. There where insects all over the bathroom, also an at least 15 centimeter long centipede. As for those who ask themselves why I am writing this: centipede bites can be poisonous and even be deadly.
The mattress I was lying on was covered with lots of stains in different colors: black, blue, yellow, white,... I don't want to imagine what everything is. The room was not clean either. There was hair lying around and balls of dust. I did not have a closer look on the cracks...
There was no space to put your baggage.
It was really hot, because there was no air conditioner and 4 persons in one small like 12 square meter bedroom do produce some heat.
I booked a 3 bed female room and got a 4 bed mixed room but payed for the female room.
Last but not least: a roommate had bites from bed bugs and even killed 2 of them.
I recommend: never ever stay there. I moved out after 2 nights and there still where 2 nights to go. No early checkout possible. But I preferred to pay for 2 nights in 2 places than stay in this hostel any longer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank FabiKn
Toronto
Reviewed 19 August 2012

We arrived as a girl ran from the place screaming”I won't stay” Our room--3 beds squished together with a fridge?we found stained mattress protectors,a ground floor sliding window that didn't close,filth in the fridge& surly staff who informed us we needed 48h to cancel(website saying 24)& keys held together with a dirty hair tie.Beds were awful&only clothes storage was a series of nails hammered into the walls.The WC was horrible;the only cleaning was the shopping-bag-bin on the towel rack, beside the stained toilet rolls on a bicycle chain,. "cable TV" was a few channels, powered from the most loose fitting outlet Ive ever seen. Not getting electrocuted was the highlight of my stay.Woke often by inexplicable fridge screeching to life randomly. Why this was even in our room was a mystery--there was no way to prep food.1rule to remove your shoes&put on filthy communal flip-flops; though most shoes at the door were flip flops. Should you sleepily forget to take off your shoes, staff barge into your room behind you&chastise you like you forgot as an insult&not because there's no light in the porch where the reminder hangs. If I was doing it again, i'd sleep in subway.

Room Tip: If the room really is very cheap for a good location then fully expect a dive as awful as this trave...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Candy T
Reviewed 10 August 2012

We came first night and they didn't have room which we reserved, so we got "discount" and shared room in different house.. Bathroom was ugly, but the room was ok... Next morning i found the cocroach in my bed... We try to get refund for the second night, but only thing we got was an email adress.. After couple minutes of complaining we got another room in different house.. Finally the room was clean, but shower and toilet in the same room as beds. I'll never visit this hostel again...

• Stayed August 2012